2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

2 hours ago, woyski said:

Well unrelated, but just taking a gander at your gigs from this year. Did you see Beach House at TROXY? I was there! Had a little cry like a right tool. Also at RAH for Arctic Monkeys, though a bottle of rosé stole most of the encore from me... 

Also, Beach House did Glasto a couple years back didn't they? Heard the atmosphere kinda got lost as it wasn't at a tent stage. Would love to see them there. 

I did indeed see Beach House at The Troxy! Was so incredible. I was just mesmerised the whole time. I'm a big fan of Bloom so very happy they played a lot from it. Park or JP headliner would sort me out for an evening.

I just can’t see it being The Strokes. I am sure they are playing somewhere but not headlining the Pyramid.

If Stormzy is Friday and we’re fairly sure that The Cure are Sunday then the mystery headliner is Saturday, which is usually the big name “BBC pleaser”. No offence to The Strokes or anything but I’m not sure that the beeb are going to be showing a 2 hour headline set from them! 

Also in terms of suggestions of The 1975, Foals etc... does Stormzy’s booking not made them quite unlikely? I know the festival has a history of bumping bands up to headliner status, but have they ever done two in one year?

Edit - when I say “bumping up”, I’m talking about those bands who haven’t been headlining any of the major festivals. I know there’s been plenty of years recently when we’ve had more than one act new to headlining Glastonbury, but example 2014, Kasabian had pretty much headlined every other major festival in the UK by that point.

Edited by JoBalls

Liam - he played the Pilton Party last year and essentially self confirmed afterwards. He sells out day festival sized gigs in seconds. Massive selling last album. Collection of legacy classic singalongs . New music recorded, I assume to be released later this year.... anyone else would be assumed nailed on Sunday headliner by now. 

Edited by ClementsMike

4 minutes ago, ClementsMike said:

Liam - he played the Pilton Party last year and essentially self confirmed afterwards. He sells out day festival sized gigs in seconds. Massive selling last album. Collection of legacy classic singalongs . New music recorded, I assume to be released later this year.... anyone else would be assumed nailed on Sunday headliner by now. 

He’s a contender. We were told by a poster with a good track record that Liam was putting his hat in the ring for a headline slot a couple of months ago - something that didn’t make sense when we thought all three headline berths were sorted - but whether it was accepted was never further reported.

I’d like to think they’d never go for that seeing as no one really gives a fuck about his solo stuff and his popularity will only wane until the Oasis reunion rolls in, but he does tick a few boxes.

14 minutes ago, JoBalls said:

I just can’t see it being The Strokes. I am sure they are playing somewhere but not headlining the Pyramid.

If Stormzy is Friday and we’re fairly sure that The Cure are Sunday then the mystery headliner is Saturday, which is usually the big name “BBC pleaser”. No offence to The Strokes or anything but I’m not sure that the beeb are going to be showing a 2 hour headline set from them! 

Thing is, though, by the sounds of it Macca was booked to fill that role, and if by the time he pulls out there aren't any options remaining who would be "BBC pleasers", what else can you do?

Despite being a big fan, I’ve just not been able to get excited about the strokes headlining but having had a few beers this evening and watched this whole set, I’m now all for it.

Sure, it might be very early album heavy but that run of songs at the end, on the Pyramid, with a typical Glasto enthusiastic crowd...sign me up!

1 minute ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Thing is, though, by the sounds of it Macca was booked to fill that role, and if by the time he pulls out there aren't any options remaining who would be "BBC pleasers", what else can you do?

I’m sure at this stage Glastonbury aren’t so out if options that they would resort to settling - remember 2015 when The Who cancelled a show in France to headline?! 

21 minutes ago, JoBalls said:

I’m sure at this stage Glastonbury aren’t so out if options that they would resort to settling - remember 2015 when The Who cancelled a show in France to headline?! 

Yeah but The Who were actually around to step in. There don’t seem to be many big suitable names so far that are tearing through Europe in the summer. We’re at a point where Bon Iver and Travis Scott are considered big headliners by fests that usually share a headline act or two with Glasto.

26 minutes ago, mike46 said:

Despite being a big fan, I’ve just not been able to get excited about the strokes headlining but having had a few beers this evening and watched this whole set, I’m now all for it.

Sure, it might be very early album heavy but that run of songs at the end, on the Pyramid, with a typical Glasto enthusiastic crowd...sign me up!

When the gammons find out Paul McCartney has been replace with The Strokes.

Screenshot_20190117-232337_YouTube.thumb.jpg.df060b50ebb90c3b7a37b00a75636273.jpg

6 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Gammons are gonna be happier with a band who's frontman looks like an actual hunk of gammon with a wig and sunglasses stuck on it than that bleeding heart vegan commie liberal Paul McCartney

3 hours ago, Mezhyp1 said:

Having been to Rock Werchter I can confirm it's got as much charisma and personality as Michael Gove's foosty arse

It'd be the designated driver 

went in 2017 with high hopes - could not agree more with ye man

Plus the lineup is more top heavy than Katie Price

38 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Gammons are gonna be happier with a band who's frontman looks like an actual hunk of gammon with a wig and sunglasses stuck on it than that bleeding heart vegan commie liberal Paul McCartney

Macca played the Queen's Diamond Jubilee. Doubt any of the gammons have a clue he's a vegan. I didn't even know he was a vegan and most of my friends are vegans who eat his wife's food all the time.

4 hours ago, dentalplan said:

He’s a contender. We were told by a poster with a good track record that Liam was putting his hat in the ring for a headline slot a couple of months ago - something that didn’t make sense when we thought all three headline berths were sorted - but whether it was accepted was never further reported.

I’d like to think they’d never go for that seeing as no one really gives a fuck about his solo stuff and his popularity will only wane until the Oasis reunion rolls in, but he does tick a few boxes.

Ah fuck

I didn’t think of Liam at all but now can totally see it. It reminds me a lot of 2013 when we kinda speculated around an act that threw their hat into the ring very early (Mumford), and we doubted their size until they appeared on the poster.

i really don’t think booking him as a headliner would be that controversial either.

i guess we have more info for the strokes than Liam though. 

It’s funny, if you think of it this way we have three (reasonable) contenders to take the slot; The Strokes, The Killers, Liam - (when it seemed like we could barely think of an act), turns out there are options, they just might not be what we really want

Despite the strokes info, something is pulling me to the killers and I don’t know why. Just a gut feeling

Edited by Matt42

7 hours ago, dentalplan said:

he's only a contender if things have been moved around due to someone backing out.

Remember, the later-confirmed juice had him subbing Stormzy.

7 hours ago, Gucci Piggy said:

bet there's plenty of gammon strokes fans. You don't get more gammon that mainstream acts (even if they were only mainstream for 5 minutes).