2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

2 minutes ago, Superunknown said:

I don't disagree, I loved it. Tbf I was only going off Pitchfork and a few others as well as people I knew who had Holy Fire as the stronger of the two. I'm not saying they couldn't do it, I just don't think they will. 

Yeah I agree, they wont be headlining the Pyramid... thats my guess. The other stage is a very good possibility though. 

Alt-J got an Other stage headline slot without their new album being released. So why not the Foals? 

Edited by Havors

3 minutes ago, Havors said:

What have they done to not merit an other stage headline slot? And a lot of music writers and myself dont agree with you about their sub slot... 

To be fair mate the reason people don't think Other headline is likely isn't because they don't deserve it/wouldn't be offered it, but because we dunno whether Foals would actually take it when they're probably looking to headline festivals outright.

4 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

The sub slot went down really well with the public and even on here to some extent where it was figuring in many ‘top 5 best sets’ discussions, but a bit more polarising it seems. I wasn’t impressed but I wasn’t with their 2013 set either.

They coulda subbed after Holy Fire really, they were offered it with no new material but turned it down to come back and do it with new stuff. Another eFests echo chamber thing is about the album flopping; it has sold about as well as Holy Fire has here and I think better around the world. 

BUT doing just as well isn’t improving their hand so yeah they’re definitely up for question. Their step up in shows is undeniable though. It does balance on what the new albums do, as you say.

Agree with all that, I don't think they're in the conversation for this year - Glastonbury headliners don't tend to play small festivals in Newcastle the month before. These albums are the tipping point, they need something that makes waves both critically and culturally to get them up to headline status. Another What Went Down won't be enough IMO

2 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

To be fair mate the reason people don't think Other headline is likely isn't because they don't deserve it/wouldn't be offered it, but because we dunno whether Foals would actually take it when they're probably looking to headline festivals outright.

This is what I was about to say, if they take the Other headline slot they can kiss goodbye to headlining the Pyramid for a good few years.

Strokes are not headlining the Pyramid in 2019. There are many reasons why not but mainly cos they are shit (in my opinion). Not that it would stop them headlining as plenty of shit have headlined. I just can't see them having another headline act that would have a small crowd when they are already running that risk with Stormzy and probably The Cure who can't even sell out their Glasgow gig. Expect an act that would probably get a decent crowd like Gaga.

I just hope that at least one of 'the big 3' has proper bangers to steam through. Huge singalongs in the field. I don't care if they're 'cool' or 'relevant in 2019' or any of that. For just one of the nights I want a shit-ton of hits that everyone knows.

Stormzy will hopefully put on a fantastic live show but he doesn't tick this box. Neither does The Cure. Neither do The Strokes.

Edited by jessden89

Just now, jessden89 said:

I just hope that at least one of 'the big 3' has proper bangers to steam through. Huge singalongs in the field. I don't care if they're 'cool' or 'relevant in 2019' or any of that. For just one of the nights I want a shit-ton of hits that everyone knows.

I tell you what I want, what I really, really want...

Efestivals never ceases to amaze me. So Tame Impala and The Strokes are not worthy of headlining Glasto although they are headlining or have headlined major festivals around the world, have worldwide publicly and critically acclaimed albums and have delivered solid performances along the years. 

At the same time, Stormzy is actually headlining Glasto with just one album that is absolutely unknown outside the UK, having done no sets in a major international festival and being completely irrelevant to the music scene. 

Edited by yosoyyoberdi
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, jessden89 said:

That’s how I feel.  One big name smashing it.

7 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

I see your point. I would say however that Yannis absolutely adores the festival and a headline slot is a headline slot... without their new album/s even out yet... leaves the door open for a 2021 slot (by all accounts 2020 acts are already sorted). 

1 minute ago, yosoyyoberdi said:

Efestivals never ceases to amaze me. So Tampe Impala and The Strokes are not worthy of headlining Glasto although they are headlining or have headlined major festivals around the world, have worldwide publicly and critically acclaimed albums and have delivered solid performances along the years. 

At the same time, Stormzy is actually headlining Glasto with just one album that is absolutely unknown outside the UK, having done no sets in a major international festival and being completely irrelevant to the music scene. 

Pretty much, problem?

3 minutes ago, yosoyyoberdi said:

Efestivals never ceases to amaze me. So Tame Impala and The Strokes are not worthy of headlining Glasto although they are headlining or have headlined major festivals around the world, have worldwide publicly and critically acclaimed albums and have delivered solid performances along the years. 

Icy cold take.