2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

I used to be a decent fan of Muse's music when I was 14-17... then fell out of touch a bit. Never the less, I had never seen them, and once they were headlining Glastonbury 2016 I went over to the pyramid stage to watch.

Holy shit are they good live. Songs I knew. Songs I didn't. They just floored it. The crowd was incredible and they completely controlled them. 

Anyway... I like festivals like Glastonbury, not only to see the bands I love, but also to see bands that I wouldn't necessarily buy a ticket to their own gigs, and bands I've never even heard of. It's the place to explore. That's why I've never been fussed about headliners.

Also regarding Arcade Fire. It's weird they sell out wembley 3 nights in a row... London is definitely their biggest audience. I can never imagine them returning to Glastonbury not as a headline act, especially after seeing their last tour live (holy shiiiit)... but their tour is over, so won't be this year. 

Finally I am curious about Foals. They may not be big enough in people's mind, but I have a feeling this year's double album output is going to be big.  Jack Bevan, the drummer went on the Foals Subreddit to tell fans 'A lot of exciting things incoming. Big big love! Xx'.
Not that that means Glastonbury... but it definitely could, they play every time they have an album and this could be their chance.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, SeaBear said:

Finally I am curious about Foals. They may not be big enough in people's mind, but I have a feeling this year's double album output is going to be big.  Jack Bevan, the drummer went on the Foals Subreddit to tell fans 'A lot of exciting things incoming. Big big love! Xx'.
Not that that means Glastonbury... but it definitely could, they play every time they have an album and this could be their chance.

They won't play this year, but if these new albums take off then they could be a possibility for next year.

1 minute ago, Havors said:

What makes you say that?? 

Just doesn't seem a place for them this year, they subbed last time, can't see them headlining Other. They're knocking at the door of headlining but faltered a bit with their last album. If these next two are huge they'll be headline material for sure.

4 minutes ago, Havors said:

What makes you say that?? 

That they won't play this year? The fact that there's no room for them on the lineup. They won't headline, it's too soon for them to sub again and they won't play any lower unless it's a secret set.

Their sub slot was meant to be their big audition and they spaffed it.

1 hour ago, chatty said:

I think they would be seen as a weak headliner as well tbh. Similarly they would fare better with a big name alongside them but theyre on the cusp of being legit headliners tbf. 

Not my bag but theyve done well the last few years, I remember them playing fairly small venues and that doesnt seem that long ago. 

That's what I mean, it would have been the perfect year to bump a homegrown band doing so well instead of plumping for someone like The Strokes. Then again, I'm pretty sure Neil's info is right and they got offered it and decided to take R&L instead. 

2 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

That they won't play this year? The fact that there's no room for them on the lineup. They won't headline, it's too soon for them to sub again and they won't play any lower unless it's a secret set.

I was at their sub slot, and it was pretty awesome in my opinion. They had the sound difficulty at a point, but they played through (didn't realise)!

I thought the same... that they would probably want both albums out before they headline. But I just don't think next year is an option since the three headliners are booked in from ages ago for the anniversary...

So this year or not at all, I guess.

Phew, I just caught up on the last 40 pages of this thread and they read like ground hog day:

Strokes can’t headline – that’s absurd/Macxit /Phil Collins is a Tory c**t/I enjoyed them at Reading/Madonna/My top NYC band is better than your coolest NYC band/Fleetwood Mac/But Emily said/Why do we think the Strokes/What happened to Macca?/Grande/Female headliner/Strokes can’t headline – that’s absurd/Macxit /One bad/great/mediocre album/Phil Collins is a Tory c**t/I enjoyed them at Reading/Madonna/Fleetwood Mac/But Emily said/Why do we think the Strokes/What happened to Macca?/Grande/Macxit /Female headliner/US bands don’t give a toss about Glastonbury/One bad/great/mediocre album

GAGA

GAGA

GAGA

giphy.gif

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, SeaBear said:

Jack Bevan's post on the reddit I assume was about the upcoming two albums that are being released this year, and a tour to go along side.

6 minutes ago, Superunknown said:

Just doesn't seem a place for them this year, they subbed last time, can't see them headlining Other. They're knocking at the door of headlining but faltered a bit with their last album. If these next two are huge they'll be headline material for sure.

Cant agree with that. The last album was brilliant... NME best album, outperformed previous album world wide. . 

They have a very good chance at heading the other stage if not pyramid tbh. 

7 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Ok well thats just your assumptions, plenty of room for them. There is 5 headline slots they could play in... 

Their sub slot was fucking brilliant. 

Just now, Havors said:

Ok well thats just your assumptions, plenty of room for them. There is 5 headline slots they could play in... 

Their sub slot was fucking brilliant. 

They played the last but one festival and haven't released anything since. What have they done to merit the jump exactly?

The sub slot was fucking dull.

1 minute ago, Hugh Jass said:

They played the last but one festival and haven't released anything since. What have they done to merit the jump exactly?

The sub slot went down really well with the public and even on here to some extent where it was figuring in many ‘top 5 best sets’ discussions, but a bit more polarising it seems. I wasn’t impressed but I wasn’t with their 2013 set either.

They coulda subbed after Holy Fire really, they were offered it with no new material but turned it down to come back and do it with new stuff. Another eFests echo chamber thing is about the album flopping; it has sold about as well as Holy Fire has here and I think better around the world.

BUT doing just as well isn’t improving their hand so yeah they’re definitely up for question. Their step up in shows is undeniable though. It does balance on what the new albums do, as you say.

4 minutes ago, Havors said:

Cant agree with that. The last album was brilliant... NME best album, outperformed previous album world wide. . 

They have a very good chance at heading the other stage if not pyramid tbh. 

I don't disagree, I loved it. Tbf I was only going off Pitchfork and a few others as well as people I knew who had Holy Fire as the stronger of the two. I'm not saying they couldn't do it, I just don't think they will. 

6 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

What have they done to not merit an other stage headline slot? And a lot of music writers and myself dont agree with you about their sub slot...