2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

9 minutes ago, Stokesy10 said:

Seen them live twice, first time they were incredible, second time they were massively disappointing. They've been going for some time and clearly past their best. The point he was making about them being shite is the bit I personally found rich, considering their back catalogue of successful albums and popularity.

Successful and popular does not exclude you from being in the shit circle in the Venn diagram of the music business. 

20190117_092300.jpg

24 minutes ago, The Nal said:

The Strokes headlining Glastonbury would be embarrassing for all concerned. 

No different to most of the headliners, really. Don’t see why people get mopey about The Strokes potentially headlining despite peaking nearly twenty years ago but give a pass to their shit contemporaries who watered down their sound by the bucketload to stay in the game.

3 minutes ago, mufcok said:

@eFestivals do you have anything in place to stop the forum self destructing if The Strokes are announced? I fear it could be the end.

Imagine Richard Ashcroft was announced on the same day, think I'd book in some annual leave just to make sure I didn't miss the backlash on here

The heat generated from the roasting of Ashcroft would send this place thermo-nuclear.

1 minute ago, Yokel Again said:

So, where does the Strokes thinking come from exactly? Any source or just someone decided on here somewhen that it might be them ?

Just can't see it myself.

Emily had a bad phone line. Spoke to a representative of someone from the Fab four. Turned out it was Fab's four. 

Just now, Yokel Again said:

So, where does the Strokes thinking come from exactly? Any source or just someone decided on here somewhen that it might be them ?

Just can't see it myself.

Mainly a combination of Nick Grimshaw saying he's heard theyre playing, on his shows 2 days in a row. Also someone on here who heard  a little while back (early December?) from someone who works at one of the countries largest promoters that it's Stormzy, The Strokes and The Cure headlining 

9 hours ago, Matt42 said:

but for real if they booked Eagles it would be a resounding “who”. 

They might be shit and not suitable but this is a strange one. One of the more recognisable names in music with record sales supposedly similar to the likes of U2, Aerosmith and Frank Sinatra. More than Prince, Bob Dylan, Metallica, Bee Gees, Fleetwood Mac and Guns n Roses as well as modern mega stars (and recent headliners) like Coldplay, Adele and Ed Sheeran. No chance the people not knowing who they are would be anything close to resounding. 

10 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

No different to most of the headliners, really. Don’t see why people get mopey about The Strokes potentially headlining despite peaking nearly twenty years ago but give a pass to their shit contemporaries who watered down their sound by the bucketload to stay in the game.

As have they. They sound dreadful. Weak weak stuff. And they've about 1 1/2 decent tunes. 

Albert Hammond Jr solo is far better. 

Edited by The Nal

3 minutes ago, The Nal said:

As have they. They sound dreadful. Weak weak stuff. And they've about 1 1/2 decent tunes. 

Don’t think I’ve ever seen them be accused of making a lurch for the mainstream, just not doing anything new is the usual criticism.

If the grievance is to do with their live show then fuck me, Arctic Monkeys have been allowed to phone in two performances and were faves for this year. At least give The Strokes the chance to blow the gig once.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Has there ever been a more disappointing drop than Macca to The fucking Strokes?

Watching that clip above sums them up perfectly and that's their best fucking song. Smug c**t too fucking cool and contrived to even bother singing. Fuck me I hate them. Vile, spoilt, aloof, rich boy twat people, massively overrated with a hugely patchy back catalogue. Fuck off.

That song is just Tom Petty anyway. Everything good about that song was taken from American Girl.

Edited by danbailey80

The Strokes fall under the banner of a band that were great for a bit but would be shocking now.

The reason they're still so revered is because the music press don't want to admit they fell for their a bunch of rich boys from New York who dressed "cool" and released one truly great EP/ album so they try and act like it's not been extremely diminishing returns since then.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, danbailey80 said:

Has there ever been a more disappointing drop than Macca to The fucking Strokes?

Watching that clip above sums them up perfectly and that's their best fucking song. Smug c**t too fucking cool and contrived to even bother singing. Fuck me I hate them. Vile, spoilt, rich boy twat people, massively overrated with a hugely patchy back catalogue. Fuck off.

That song is just Tom Petty anyway. Everything good about that song was taken from American Girl.

What a load of bollox.

Popular single off their massive debut album - must be their best song ? It isn't even the best on that album.

Why is it a problem that their parents were rich and successful before they did what they loved and picked up a guitar and became successful themselves to so many people on here? 

Really struggling to get your link with American Girl.

I'm absolutely gutted about Macca too, by the way...and I'm still not convinced The Strokes will be headlining The Pyramid, for what it's worth.

Edited by Stokesy10

Anyone else feeling totally underwhelmed by the rumoured  headliners..

I am not one for Headliners anyway, Stormzy I can see why he is there, just when i se the strokes banded around and the cure I am like Meh. are they really the best that can be guessed

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, shuttlep said:

Anyone else feeling totally underwhelmed by the rumoured  headliners..

I am not one for Headliners anyway, Stormzy I can see why he is there, just when i se the strokes banded around and the cure I am like Meh. are they really the best that can be guessed

If it does end up being Stormzy/The Strokes/The Cure then depending on who's elsewhere I will probably end up having an entirely pyramid headliner free festival

Not that I dislike them all at all. I'm quite fond of each of them. 

However, I saw Stormzy last year and have no desire to catch him again. I saw The Strokes at Reading 2011 and they were definitely good but again no burning desire to catch them a second time. 

The Cure are the only one I'd be relatively likely to go and see but even then it's not going to take a lot to pull me away - even with Disintegration being one of my all time favourite albums

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Keithy said:

Gaga is doing events outside the Vegas residency. Doing an event in May.

Other Vegas residencies have been allowed to do gigs outside of their deal too.

The sticking point for Gaga might be the headline slot is televised. I'm not sure they'd want Gaga's Enigma show (as that's what she'd effectively do at Glastonbury) being shown on TV. The counter argument is they might see it as free advertising.

isn't Gaga's "event" an industry conference thing? probably giving a talk/interview or something.