2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

26 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Dunno why The Killers are picking up so many mentions really. They’ve done Glasto and plenty of UK shows over the last two summers. They could well jump at the chance to fly over outside of schedule for another go on the Pyramid but so could many acts; some are even UK based so it’s not a big thing.

Chilis actually look to be touring a new album this year and are much more likely to actually have some summer dates plotted. And may God have mercy on us all.

I mentioned them because they were an example of a band we wouldn’t think of immediately that probably would go above and beyond to headline if they were asked.

plus after 2017 I could the see the eavis’s being sold on the idea that they might be worth another shot at headlining.

also 2019 wouldn’t have all the attendees from 2017 so it’s not like the entirety of the glastonbury crowd would have seen them. I didn’t even bother checking them out as I was told the field was closed off.

Edit: also they are the definition of a last minute bona fide headliner that would probably go down very well to those in the field

Edited by Matt42

2 hours ago, addicted2noise said:

I love the Strokes and always thought they were more talented than their slightly more mainstream peers like Kings of Leon or even the Arctic Monkeys (who are great but always seemed a little bit too try hard/self conscious in comparison) so its great they're getting the chance to headline if true. I have no idea what kind of crowd they'll get though, is anyone under 25 even aware of them?

I'm recently 23 and they're big with people my age. I was like 15 when they made their comeback with Angles and they were one of my favourite bands at the time, and they were big with most people my age who were into indie music.

I'm not sure whether people that age have any clue about them nowadays but I don't see why not. They must still be a pretty big starting point for people getting into indie music, in the same way Foos are for rock music. Is This It is a mainstay in conversations about essential indie albums.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, The Placid Casual said:

They're proper shite live. Get completely Gillespie'd if you're watching them (yes we're bringing that term back).

Godammit, I'm not a drinker, one can of Thatchers Gold will do the both of us as a reward for getting up that hill to WV.

I wanted to get a day ticket to see RHCP at R&L a few years ago but I couldn't get time off work, probably just as well really.

2 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Maybe in the 80s / 90s. Not in 2019

I disagree, they still play as well as ever live, have an amazing setlist, theyd kill it. Some of the old bands just dont seem to lose it. Look at the Stones, I went to Sabbaths last tour and they were better than the majority of newer bands Ive ever seen and by a fair distance, the old guys can still cut it. Id take the Eagkes over any if the bands I listed without any hesitation. 

1 minute ago, chatty said:

I disagree, they still play as well as ever live, have an amazing setlist, theyd kill it. Some of the old bands just dont seem to lose it. Look at the Stones, I went to Sabbaths last tour and they were better than the majority of newer bands Ive ever seen and by a fair distance, the old guys can still cut it. Id take the Eagkes over any if the bands I listed without any hesitation. 

I was there for the stones and I agree. However I don’t think the Eagles have the capacity or relevance to headline Glastonbury in 2019. Hence the fact why there is no demand for them to do it

3 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I was there for the stones and I agree. However I don’t think the Eagles have the capacity or relevance to headline Glastonbury in 2019. Hence the fact why there is no demand for them to do it

Neither has The Cure. 

Or Stormzy for that matter. 

Edited by chatty

Neither has The Cure. 

Oh come on. The Cure defined an entire genre and have headlined festivals the world over, including Glasto numerous times, their discography will always give them the capacity to headline.

And Stormzy is one of the most relevant artists in Britain right now like it or not. It's an impressive booking by Glasto.

2 minutes ago, chatty said:

Neither has The Cure. 

The Cure have been requested on these boards and from Glastonbury attendees for as long as I’ve been attending festivals.

Stormzy has been requested / in demand to headline Glastonbury since 2016 and after 2017 when Emily considered him a future headliner in an interview. Also it has made a lot of fans of his happy who support him and who wanted him to headline Glastonbury 2019. I’m pretty sure he was on every single “potential headliner” list about during the fallow year.

I strongly disagree. I reckon the number of people dissapointed that the Eagles have never headlined is pretty small.

1 minute ago, Superunknown said:

Oh come on. The Cure defined an entire genre and have headlined festivals the world over, including Glasto numerous times, their discography will always give them the capacity to headline.

And Stormzy is one of the most relevant artists in Britain right now like it or not. It's an impressive booking by Glasto.

Omg you agree with me

1 minute ago, Superunknown said:

The Eagles were bigger than The Cure and have done there fair share of huge gigs. Have a bigger back catalogue and their best of album has sold more than any other album ever. 

Stormzy is a punt, he might turn out to be a good one byt at this moment hes not all that big. Hes not even close to The Eagles.

The Eagles were bigger than The Cure and have done there fair share of huge gigs. 

In the UK? 

I haven't seen anyone join your rallying cry no matter how much you bang the drum. 

I know a few of them from sitting in my old man's Cortina in the 80s, doesn't mean I think they would be chosen, for a myriad of reasons. 

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/eagles/2018/aloha-stadium-honolulu-hi-539753fd.html

11 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

The Cure have been requested on these boards and from Glastonbury attendees for as long as I’ve been attending festivals.

Stormzy has been requested / in demand to headline Glastonbury since 2016 and after 2017 when Emily considered him a future headliner in an interview. Also it has made a lot of fans of his happy who support him and who wanted him to headline Glastonbury 2019. I’m pretty sure he was on every single “potential headliner” list about during the fallow year.

I strongly disagree. I reckon the number of people dissapointed that the Eagles have never headlined is pretty small.

Maybes on here but the viewpoint on here isnt really close to the general viewpoint. If you go on social media Stormzy git grilled for basically being a 'shit' headliner. No one really cares about The Cure in 2019, they have their fanbase that theyve always had but they are the same as The Eagles for relevance. Peopke wont be disappointed if they play but they also wouldnt be dissappointed if they didnt. 

I dont think the Eagles will get the call up nor do I think peipke would be disappointed if they dont but if they did they would be met favourably and they would deliver a great set. 

They wouldnt be held any lower than Stormzy or The Cure but imo they would deliver a better set. I dont mind Stormzy playing or The Cure btw, I might go see The Cure but they arent more relevant than The Eagles. 

Edited by chatty

The Eagles were bigger than The Cure and have done there fair share of huge gigs. Have a bigger back catalogue and their best of album has sold more than any other album ever. 

Stormzy is a punt, he might turn out to be a good one byt at this moment hes not all that big. Hes not even close to The Eagles.

I wasn't around during their respective eras so I'm happy to concede that The Eagles were/are probably bigger but I'd argue The Cure are the 'bigger' band in the UK and more relevant here than The Eagles which is why they've headlined 3 times already. 

Yeah agreed he is a punt and of course he's nowhere as big as The Eagles but as far as 2019 goes he's far more relevant than them. 

3 minutes ago, clarkete said:

In the UK? 

I haven't seen anyone join your rallying cry no matter how much you bang the drum. 

I know a few of them from sitting in my old man's Cortina in the 80s, doesn't mean I think they would be chosen, for a myriad of reasons. 

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/eagles/2018/aloha-stadium-honolulu-hi-539753fd.html

At the very least, they've had Take It Easy stuck in my head for the last hour.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, chatty said:

Maybes on here but the viewpoint on here isnt really close to the general viewpoint. If you go on social media Stormzy git grilled for basically being a 'shit' headliner. No one really cares about The Cure in 2019, they have their fanbase that theyve always had but they are the same as The Eagles for relevance. Peopke wont be disappointed if they play but they also wouldnt be dissappointed if they didnt. 

I dont think the Eagles will get the call up nor do I think peipke would be disappointed if they dont but if they did they would be met favourably and they would deliver a great set. 

They wouldnt be held aby lower than Stormzy or The Cure but imo they would deliver a better set. I dont nind Stormzy playing or The Cure btw, I might go see The Cure but they arent more relevant than The Eagles. 

I think it’s just best I say I disagree but my main point was that it’s very rare Glastonbury book a headliner where there hasn’t been some sort of demand for them to do it.

i do think in some subtle way the eavi listen to feedback of Glastonbury attendees. They are pretty good at knowing what acts that people at the fest would enjoy and acts that the attendees want at the fest.

aside from money there’s probably a good reason why Bon Jovi, Aerosmith, Eagles (and many more I can’t think off the top of my head) haven’t done it.

no one is arsed if they do or they don’t.

9 minutes ago, chatty said:

Yeah but no one gives a damn about The Eagles who wasn't around when they were in their heyday, do they? The Cure are listened to by people of all ages, from like 15 upward I'd say. They're massive cultural icons and one of the first bands from the past people will check out when getting into alternative music (in the same way as the likes of The Smiths, Joy Division, etc.). I've never met anyone who actively likes The Eagles, never mind anyone under 40.

If The Eagles headlined Glastonbury I doubt you'd find many young people there. I'd probably get laughed at for having a ticket to a festival headlined by The Eagles tbh.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1