2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

10 minutes ago, RarerThanDandyB said:

Yeah, very slim chance, The Strokes are set.

I'm relying on your undying enthusiasm and optimism, my dear! Currently working to their discography, IT'S GOTTA HAPPEN! They're such an odd one, having ridden the wave of hype in the beginning, then cooling right off after FIOE to the point where we wondered if that'd be it after the 5-album deal with RCA. Angles had some bangers but felt incredibly cold and disconnected, which makes sense considering they recorded most of it apart. I enjoyed Comedown Machine, it had it's role for me. The EP got me reallllly excited, but I was chuffed to see Julian so happy doing his own thing with the Voidz, who I'm also a big fan of. They really don't seem to be doing that much, and then something pops out on NME and it sounds like they're happier. 

Part of me really doesn't understand why they'd play Glasto - as others have said clearly doing festivals for the money and steering away from doing their own gigs, even though they absolutely would sell the tickets. They could easily do London, Manchester, etc. and a festival. But I do agree with what others have said about them happy doing Glasto so long as their headlining. We'll see what 2019 has in store for us - there is stuff in the pipeline aye? 

2 hours ago, thrillhouse188 said:

Not discounting The Strokes likelihood, I think grimmy saying twice means something, but I’m always skeptical of betting odds, aren’t they basically just priced off of betting volume. So maybe people with insider info are betting on them, or maybe the general public are just taking a punt?

These are novelty markets so doesn't take much money to move the odds, and the bookmakers do not take any chances. Hence why Paul McCartney was odds on a few days ago! 

59 minutes ago, gearbm95 said:

Even though Emily said Madonna hasn't been booked it almost seems like it makes too much sense. She's putting out new material in the spring and with the lack of a legacy headliner this year, she'd go a long way in filling that spot.

Madonna may not have been booked when they thought they had Macca, but obviously things have changed. Also, for those of you still convinced Gaga is a possibility, I highly doubt she does any shows in 2019 outside of Vegas. When Britney had her residency (same promoter/venue) she was not allowed to do any shows outside of Vegas for the first 2 years, due to a clause in her contract. With the demand for the Gaga shows, and the rumor that they're added 25-30 new dates I highly doubt they'll let her perform anywhere else.

The Cure are a legacy headliner. 40 years worth of material and 1000s of live shows is pretty legendary.

Edited by beau1
W

2 hours ago, Matt42 said:

What I mean is I find it unlikely Beyoncé would do Glastonbury as a one off / not part of a larger tour.

coachella for her was before a tour with Jay Z. However if she was planning to be doing anything this year I’d imagine something would be announced so tickets could be sold

edit: I think Kanye is the only act in recent memory which did Glastonbury as a ‘one off’

Just checked and last time she played was after her tour, fair enough she did a few other festivals over here. Maybe she'll get announced for BST and a couple of European festivals,  I doubt it and I'm not a fan of hers was just surprised she hadn't been mentioned and Oasis and Led Zep both had!

2 hours ago, polnico said:

This sounds weird, but what about Green Day ? Weren't they supposed to have a Dookie anniversary tour ?

Literally the biggest trick Glasto has ever missed in my opinion. How they've not headlined is criminal. Enormous back catalogue and their live shows are insanely powerful. Absolutely guarantee the crowd would be bouncing. Shame it's unlikely to ever happen really.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Stokesy10 said:

Literally the biggest trick Glasto has ever missed in my opinion. How they've not headlined is criminal. Enormous back catalogue and their live shows are insanely powerful. Absolutely guarantee the crowd would be bouncing. Shame it's unlikely to ever happen really.

Wasn't there a rumour of them headlining the Other Stage not so long ago?

2 hours ago, Superscally said:

Subbing Stormzy? Epic trolling, pure lolz, or mental. 

To be honest, there would be a big chance that the act to sub Stormzy is going to be bigger than Stormzy himself, his sub this year is massively bigger than him.

1 hour ago, Keithy said:

Gaga is doing events outside the Vegas residency. Doing an event in May.

Other Vegas residencies have been allowed to do gigs outside of their deal too.

The sticking point for Gaga might be the headline slot is televised. I'm not sure they'd want Gaga's Enigma show (as that's what she'd effectively do at Glastonbury) being shown on TV. The counter argument is they might see it as free advertising.

Yeah now it's said about what her show is I don't think Glastonbury book have that, I reckon they'll wait until a normal type of show to book her.

1 hour ago, AThirteen said:

Looking forward to The Killers headline set..!

It would be the best of a situation now I reckon.

1 hour ago, Keithy said:

The sticking point for Gaga might be the headline slot is televised. I'm not sure they'd want Gaga's Enigma show (as that's what she'd effectively do at Glastonbury) being shown on TV. The counter argument is they might see it as free advertising.

It's only televised to the degree that the act allows it to be. We're used to a large chunk being shown, as one of the major reasons acts are prepared to cut their fee to Glastonbury levels is that they get a free 90 minute commercial on BBC.

But there's no obligation to allow filming at all (Leonard Cohen didn't), and some acts will allow only selected parts to be shown. Neil Young is a good example of that, allowing only 5 songs to be broadcast and even that was apparently only after a (literal) last minute agreement.

Dunno why The Killers are picking up so many mentions really. They’ve done Glasto and plenty of UK shows over the last two summers. They could well jump at the chance to fly over outside of schedule for another go on the Pyramid but so could many acts; some are even UK based so it’s not a big thing.

Chilis actually look to be touring a new album this year and are much more likely to actually have some summer dates plotted. And may God have mercy on us all.

1 hour ago, crocodiles said:

Is there any debate about them being coolest new York band  ....before I cause chaos thinking they've been tipped to reform and appear 

5 minutes ago, The Placid Casual said:

There's also Velvet Underground and Blondie.

Don't forget The Ramones.

There's been some 'interesting' suggestions on The Thingy Twitter feed. Plenty for Foals, one saying an industry insider told them it was Madonna, some Herbert who may or may not be a parody account suggesting Oasis, may favourite one though is this from the Spanish Adrian Mole...

Edited by Gnomicide

20 minutes ago, JoBalls said:

The Eagles are playing Wembley on 23rd June, are we aware of this?

I remember in 2014 when we thought the Saturday headliner could be Eagles and it turned out to be Metallica

only tru efestivals members will member xoxox

I found this funny because the eagles always seem to get mentioned whenever we have no fucking clue who’s playing 

also they’d go down like a fucking lead balloon.