2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

1 minute ago, shoptildrop said:

Must have missed something, what happened to Macca and why we so certain on The Strokes now?

He announced a additional date for the 29th. Its off. Strokes were said by someone on the thread time ago, Nick Grimshaw said them twice as a rumour live on radio twice on the run and betting companies have kept low odds - suspicious.

Usually I don’t even begin to care about the Headliners, but was quite invested in Macca and so now feel a) a bit sad and b) curious about what is going to happen now. 

I just don’t see the Strokes.... Their debut album was massive in alternative circles for about 12-18 months (and did get some mainstream exposure) but that was 15 years ago. Since then they just kind of vanished. I understand that they do still sell big (but infrequent) gigs but surely that is just to their original fans. It’s not even as if they have influenced a current trend or had a significant legacy; probably as a result of being so incredibly derivative themselves.

Surely if the festival was going to book a smaller headliner it would give a younger act (I.e. one with momentum and buzz) a leg up? That would have a much larger impact. 

16 minutes ago, The Placid Casual said:

Are people forgetting something...

Room_on_Fire_cover.jpg

Definition of a singles album.

I actually thought a lot of First Impressions Of Earth was really good. Remove 3-4 songs from the second half of the album, have 15 Minutes as the closer and it would be a sure competitor with Is This It? for being their best album.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, VCK said:

I actually thought a lot of First Impressions Of Earth was really good. Remove 3-4 songs from the second half of the album, have 15 Minutes as the closer and it would be a sure competitor with Is This It? for being their best album.

Barmy.

Not the bit about first impressions being good, it is a good album.

Edited by The Placid Casual

1 minute ago, VCK said:

Yes!! FIOE is ace. Three or four of their absolute best. 

1 hour ago, Ged Devereux said:

Her Coachella set was everywhere for a few weeks last year, biggest reaction I’ve seen from a Coachella set anyway. Thought then that Glasto would be trying to get her back to the farm soon

What I mean is I find it unlikely Beyoncé would do Glastonbury as a one off / not part of a larger tour.

coachella for her was before a tour with Jay Z. However if she was planning to be doing anything this year I’d imagine something would be announced so tickets could be sold

edit: I think Kanye is the only act in recent memory which did Glastonbury as a ‘one off’

Edited by Matt42

2 minutes ago, thrillhouse188 said:

Not discounting The Strokes likelihood, I think grimmy saying twice means something, but I’m always skeptical of betting odds, aren’t they basically just priced off of betting volume. So maybe people with insider info are betting on them, or maybe the general public are just taking a punt?

Very random bet though... and to be consistently low is weird. Especially for a band that aren’t within there prime. 

The other candidates seem very unlikely. I 100% think they are now. 

39 minutes ago, doogie said:

I'm keeping Springsteen, Billy Joel and Beyoncé as outside contenders

Heard on 6music last week that Bruce is taking a break from touring this year. Played an outrageously high (150+ , possibly even 200) number of shows on his broadway residency last year.

2 minutes ago, RarerThanDandyB said:

Very random bet though... and to be consistently low is weird. Especially for a band that aren’t within there prime. 

The other candidates seem very unlikely. I 100% think they are now. 

When did Grimmy first mention them, maybe people are just betting off the back of that? But it matters not, I agree, think they’ll play

1 minute ago, thrillhouse188 said:

When did Grimmy first mention them, maybe people are just betting off the back of that? But it matters not, I agree, think they’ll play

The Strokes being short odds stretches back a long long way, to before they were even rumoured at all for Glastonbury by anyone.

Edited by dentalplan

14 minutes ago, thrillhouse188 said:

Not discounting The Strokes likelihood, I think grimmy saying twice means something, but I’m always skeptical of betting odds, aren’t they basically just priced off of betting volume. So maybe people with insider info are betting on them, or maybe the general public are just taking a punt?

That's the point, isn't it? They've been at weirdly short odds for ages, before they'd even announced their first shows. Suggests there were probably people betting on them since a long time ago, or at least one big bet on them.

22 minutes ago, Superscally said:

They were always going to play, Someday. Is this it? 

Normally I would say I could Take It Or Leave It, even though I listen to them All The Time. It's Hard to Explain, but I absolutely have to see them and that's The Way It Is.

• Upvote 1

Just a thought - now would be a better time than ever for Queen + Adam Lambert (if it's ever going to happen), on the Bohemian Rhapsody hype train, have a North American Tour start mid July so not outside the realms of possibility.

I'm sure others and myself have reservations about Queen + Adam Lambert but apparently it's great fun and I can't dispute that.

4 minutes ago, Gacheezbo said:

Just a thought - now would be a better time than ever for Queen + Adam Lambert (if it's ever going to happen), on the Bohemian Rhapsody hype train, have a North American Tour start mid July so not outside the realms of possibility.

I'm sure others and myself have reservations about Queen + Adam Lambert but apparently it's great fun and I can't dispute that.

Badgers.