2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

29 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Tame Impala got a tiny crowd last time they played the Pyramid. People mentioning them as a potential headliner don’t live in the real world. They’d be on the blower to Stereophonics before them.

is this another one of those things that gets repeated on here enough times that people start to take as true?

I'm looking at the video of the set and the field is absolutely rammed. sure, most probably waiting for Adele, but there certainly wasn't a small crowd for Tame Impala. I agree that they're not remotely likely to headline though.

KMsDFGg.jpg

gyiWowG.jpg

owxavPi.jpg

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I thought their crowd was tiny, was stood level with the urinals near the Cider Bus and the crowd has stopped by that point, people were gathering behind me in anticipation of the Foos.

I got a right funny look by the people around me for belting Mr November, felt like an alien

41 minutes ago, ghostdancer1 said:

Coachella is the biggest festival on the planet in terms of importance (whatever that means).

Springsteen played Glastonbury because it fitted with his tour (Hyde Park the next night) and there was a business case for it. do you really think it took him/his band/his management/his touring agents until 2009 to "learn of" Glastonbury's importance (again, whatever that means)?

most bands, especially foreign, will fly in that day, get picked up from the airport in people carriers, brought on-site, fuck around for a few hours, play their gig, and leave straight away, to a hotel, or back onto a plane/ferry on their way to the next gig, probably another festival in a field in Europe. the vast majority probably don't give a flying fuck about Glastonbury, or know much about it, apart from being the biggest in the UK (and then wonder why they're not getting paid correspondingly).

A business case? Nah, no chance. It was of zero interest to him business wise. He only played it because it was Glastonbury. Like I said, it's whether management care or not and they did. When Bruce heard about the ethical reasons to play he was sold. You just proved my point. 

Also, they'd do exactly the same about Coachella. Coachella doesn't have the same impact on the wider US public as Glastonbury, it barely registers a ripple there where our national broadcaster pretty much flays itself before Worthy Farm to put it at the forefront of the nation's consciousness.

Edited by Superscally

7 minutes ago, ghostdancer1 said:

is this another one of those things that gets repeated on here enough times that people start to take as true?

I'm looking at the video of the set and the field is absolutely rammed. sure, most probably waiting for Adele, but there certainly wasn't a small crowd for Tame Impala. I agree that they're not remotely likely to headline though.

KMsDFGg.jpg

gyiWowG.jpg

owxavPi.jpg

I was at Tame Impala and I 100% do not remember it being rammed at all. It wasn't dead but those pictures completely and utterly conflict with my memory of it. I had tons of space around me, and I didn't smell that bad.

2 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

the crowd singing the one about the rabbits instead of him wound up Art Garfunkel.

I got the feeling that Art's whole schtick was 50% trolling, 50% fragile ego. Or perhaps the ratio was different, I'm not sure, I was amused by him no end either way.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

I got the feeling that Art's whole schtick was 50% trolling, 50% fragile ego. Or perhaps the ratio was different, I'm not sure, I was amused by him no end either way.

I quite enjoyed his set- went into it thinking it would be crap, but turned out to be better than Paul Simons pyramid snooze fest (which I'd gone into thinking would be good!) 

26 minutes ago, ghostdancer1 said:

I was lurking about at the barrier in metres of space and my mates could see me from the other side and walk over and meet me minutes before they went on. I watched the place empty out after Last Shadow Puppets. It filled up as the show went on, yeah, but it was people coming in for Adele. I’ve no reason to bend the truth or anything, the set was probably so good because everyone forward was actually there for the band.

Edited by dentalplan

3 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

I was lurking about at the barrier in metres of space and my mates could see me from the other side and walk over and meet me minutes before they went on. I watched the place empty out after Last Shadow Puppets. It filled up as the show went on, yeah, but it was people coming in for Adele. I’ve no reason to bend the truth or anything, the set was probably so good because everyone forward was actually there for the band. 

well i've posted photos from literally 1 minute into the set, and 20mins in with a packed field all the way up, but ok, sure thing, crowd was tiny...

1 minute ago, ghostdancer1 said:

well i've posted photos from literally 1 minute into the set, and 20mins in with a packed field all the way up, but ok, sure thing, crowd was tiny...

Dunno what to say mate. I was there, sober, scanning the crowd myself because I was looking out for people and saw big empty stretches of boggy mud. Maybe it just looks different on telly. I guess “tiny” could be pushing it but the only time I’d seen so much space that far forward was, like, early acts and stuff.

I don’t need to lie to say Tame Impala aren’t a headliner, I just thought the experience of last time was enough to suggest they weren’t.