2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

Picture the scene:

Mann's Chinese Theatre, Oscar Night. Gaga approaches the stage having just heard her name called for Best Actress, she takes the golden trophy from Morgan Freeman, gives Bradley Cooper a kiss and yells into the microphone "Glastonbury! Saturday night motherfuckers!" drops the Oscar on the floor and walks off stage....

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

She's releasing an album this year, isn't she?

My argument is that her fans have been saying that since 2014. She pops up for the occasional feature but there’s no indication she’s releasing an album anytime soon. Also I’m guessing you don’t really follow her (I don’t really either) but from what I’ve seen and heard, releasing music and touring isn’t high on her priority list. I’m pretty sure she didn’t do a major tour for Anti right?

Shes remained very popular for a while now but mainly because she has been providing an output which is separate from her music.

what I really mean is that if Glasto ever get her it’l be after she’s come back and done other things. If an offer to headline Coachella, The Super Bowl etc didn’t get her back into releasing solo material and touring I doubt Glastonbury will.

25 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

I wonder how much gravitas Glastonbury carries with artists these days in such a saturated market? There are some huge commercial festivals worldwide.

We're running out of acts the size of Rolling Stones, David Bowie, Stevie Wonder, etc. They're either dead or have played what is highly likely to be their only show. Those left have either split up or aren't active. They can't book someone who isn't available.

The next tier of suitable acts (outside of the British bands who appreciate the significance of the festival over here) appear to be in it for the money. Maybe that's always been the case? Maybe as regular attendees we gaze too romantically towards the festival based upon its historical headliners and expect too much?

By the sounds of Macca the original big acts are also in it for the money now let alone the next tier

11 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

I can't wait for you to message me during it saying it's good then come back and claim it was rubbish on here like you did with Radiohead.

You are fake news! I messaged you saying that it was a nice surprise that they played Let Down, didn't comment on the quality of the wider set.

Besides that, I'd never be at Strokes anyway, Radiohead have at least 3 good CDs, Strokes have 0. Radiohead's Leeds set was great, Strokes' was a shitshow.

Edited by GETOFFAMYLAWN

4 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Tame Impala got a tiny crowd last time they played the Pyramid. People mentioning them as a potential headliner don’t live in the real world. They’d be on the blower to Stereophonics before them.

After the slaughtering The National got in that slot I think I'd avoid any band just before  a big headliner, though they did bring it on themselves with 5(?) new songs, I love both bands greatly but that slot is a death sentence for them

Edited by OddRon

Pretty sure Michael had The Strokes booked to play the Pilton Party in 2001 with a view to headlining the Pyramid in 2002, but they had to cancel, and Coldplay stepped in to "save the day"

Not really sure what this proves though, other than that they were in the running to headline back in the day, and they still headline pretty much every festival they play nowadays.

43 minutes ago, Superscally said:

That's just not true. To say Taylor or at the very least, her management are not aware that it's the biggest festival on the planet in terms of importance would be naive at best. Springsteen played it because he learned of its importance. Jay-Z, Beyonce and Metallica were actively pushing to play.  

Coachella is the biggest festival on the planet in terms of importance (whatever that means).

Springsteen played Glastonbury because it fitted with his tour (Hyde Park the next night) and there was a business case for it. do you really think it took him/his band/his management/his touring agents until 2009 to "learn of" Glastonbury's importance (again, whatever that means)?

most bands, especially foreign, will fly in that day, get picked up from the airport in people carriers, brought on-site, fuck around for a few hours, play their gig, and leave straight away, to a hotel, or back onto a plane/ferry on their way to the next gig, probably another festival in a field in Europe. the vast majority probably don't give a flying fuck about Glastonbury, or know much about it, apart from being the biggest in the UK (and then wonder why they're not getting paid correspondingly).

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

You are fake news! I messaged you saying that it was a nice surprise that they played Let Down, didn't comment on the quality of the wider set.

Besides that, I'd never be at Strokes anyway, Radiohead have at least 3 good CDs, Strokes have 0. Radiohead's Leeds set was great, Strokes' was a shitshow.

I remember the Let Down thing but I'm sure you also said it was good. I'd check but it's on my old phone.

11 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Tame Impala got a tiny crowd last time they played the Pyramid. People mentioning them as a potential headliner don’t live in the real world. They’d be on the blower to Stereophonics before them.

Yeah but only coz Stereophonics are subbing them.

15 minutes ago, OddRon said:

By the sounds of Macca the original big acts are also in it for the money now let alone the next tier

I don't disagree but I would say that: 1) McCartney has played before, and 2) to stay in the States and continue his tour makes sense logistically 

Edited by Supernintendo Chalmers

1 minute ago, ghostdancer1 said:

most bands, especially foreign, will fly in that day, get picked up from the airport in people carriers, brought on-site, fuck around for a few hours, play their gig, and leave straight away, to a hotel, or back onto a plane/ferry on their way to the next gig, probably another festival in a field in Europe. the vast majority probably don't give a flying fuck about Glastonbury, or know much about it, apart from being the biggest in the UK (and then wonder why they're not getting paid correspondingly).

Exactly.

I'm digressing now, but the following two bellends were mentioned while I was enjoying my pate and crackers, so:

The above is just what Phil Collins - the total fuckin' 12-incher - would do.

Hopefully the fact that he won't get paid 'much' will deter the fucking Tory c**t from coming anywhere near the place.

Much like Williams he's another twat with delusions of adequacy.

Carry on...

Just now, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

I don't disagree but I would say that McCartney has 1) played before, and 2) to stay in the States and continue his tour makes logistical sense 

aye, I'm very much doubting he was every booked in the first place to cancel, and even if they approached him, that Vegas gig was probably booked long ago so he told them that he wasn't available. he's been drip-feeding these US dates one-by-one for quite a while, including dates before and after Vegas within the last couple of months.

4 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

I don't disagree but I would say that: 1) McCartney has played before, and 2) to stay in the States and continue his tour makes sense logistically 

Even 25 years younger than him I wouldn't want to fly all the way from the US just for a day or two.  And I don't sleep on a bed of money.

17 minutes ago, OddRon said:

After the slaughtering The National got in that slot I think I'd avoid any band just before  a big headliner, though they did bring it on themselves with 5(?) new songs, I love both bands greatly but that slot is a death sentence for them

The National got a pretty decent crowd IIRC?

Set was seemingly just OK from a fans point-of-view, but people who didn't know them seemed to enjoy it.

hardly a slaughtering?

3 minutes ago, ghostdancer1 said:

Set was seemingly just OK from a fans point-of-view, but people who didn't know them seemed to enjoy it.

hardly a slaughtering?

I think if I wasn't so slaughtered myself I would have been more dissapointed, it just felt wrong, having seen them two times since in Manchester and APE it felt pitiful in comparison but that's expected when everyone is waiting for Foo

1 minute ago, OddRon said:

I think if I wasn't so slaughtered myself I would have been more dissapointed, it just felt wrong, having seen them two times since in Manchester and APE it felt pitiful in comparison but that's expected when everyone is waiting for Foo

oh yeah, it was definitely the least enjoyable of the times i've seen them, but that's probably because of several unknown songs, and the set was too short, and being on a great big massive outdoor stage.

they were perfectly fine IMO, but nothing to write home about, especially if you've seen the intensity of their own gigs.

Just now, ghostdancer1 said:

oh yeah, it was definitely the least enjoyable of the times i've seen them, but that's probably because of several unknown songs, and the set was too short, and being on a great big massive outdoor stage.

they were perfectly fine IMO, but nothing to write home about, especially if you've seen the intensity of their own gigs.

Yeah that was my first time seeing them and alongside Radiohead they're my favourite band so it was defintely like built up hype in my head I think, defintely redeemed themselves in my eyes at the other shows

32 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Think they would be more likely to headline the other stage if they were to headline. 

13 minutes ago, EamerRed said:

Those Bon Jovi dates look extremely suspicious don’t they

I reckon they're just taking a break for a couple of weeks. Unless they added more shows, I can't see them either hanging around for 6 days or flying home, back for Glastonbury, back home and back to Europe again a week later.

11 minutes ago, ghostdancer1 said:

hardly a slaughtering?

I thought their crowd was tiny, was stood level with the urinals near the Cider Bus and the crowd has stopped by that point, people were gathering behind me in anticipation of the Foos.