2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

NME journalism at its best again.

"Stereophonics Now Rumoured for 2019"

You mean Kelly Jones has said in passing that they'd love to be asked as it's been so long? Nailed on Strong Rumour that guys!

For the record, I'd be ecstatic, but yeh, not happening.

Keep The Gaga Dream Alive.

11 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

The not on tour acts are American. Glastonbury means jack shit to Americans so an artist isn’t going to come out of their holidays/hiatus to do it unless they have touring plans already

also re Rihanna, her name has been thrown around a lot in previous years but I truly think she’s done with music / being a major pop star. She makes way more money with her make up line now!

She's releasing an album this year, isn't she?

7 minutes ago, basynthnd said:

Probably not Tame Impala no, you could only really argue ‘The Less I Know The Better’. Definitely Foals though 

No chance on The Less I Know the Better, and I bet half the people who've heard it don't even know who it's by.

And definitely Foals? Nah.

And I'm saying this as someone who prefers both bands to Stormzy (although I'm not sure on Foals anymore).

Edited by Gucci Piggy

3 minutes ago, Winslow Leach said:

Foals do not have more well known songs to Joe Public than Stormzy, what planet have you flown in from?

Id say it’s pretty even. Outside of Shut Up/Blinded by your grace & Big for your boots I don’t think The average listener would recognise much else.

Probably a similar story with Foals - My Number/Mountain at my gates/What Went Down

1 minute ago, dentalplan said:

They get good reports nowadays. Probably cos they don’t have to be around each other for longer than a week at a time.

Do they actually? One of my mates who went to BST said it was good but he's obsessed with them and I knew he'd think it was amazing regardless. Have read from other people that it wasn't good.

Just now, basynthnd said:

Id say it’s pretty even. Outside of Shut Up/Blinded by your grace & Big for your boots I don’t think The average listener would recognise much else.

Probably a similar story with Foals - My Number/Mountain at my gates/What Went Down

But those Stormzy songs have a way wider reach than those Foals songs. The whole Capital FM demographic will know those Stormzy songs but not the Foals songs, and I'd wager most people who knows the Foals songs know rhe Stormzy songs, too, because everywhere that covers Foals will also cover Stormzy.

Stormzy also has the celebrity aspect, which Foals don't. You're not gonna catch them on prime time chat shows talking about their political views or charity work.

4 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

She's releasing an album this year, isn't she?

No chance on The Less I Know the Better, and I bet half the people who've heard it don't even know who it's by.

And definitely Foals? Nah.

And I'm saying this as someone who prefers both bands to Stormzy (although I'm not sure on Foals anymore).

Fair enough, maybe it was a stretch to say definitely but you can make a strong case for Foals. 

Spinning the ASIB soundtrack rn and getting shivers down my spine at how good this is going to be. Show staring off with the lights slowly coming up, we can hear Gaga singing Somewhere Over The Rainbow from offstage before she bursts on and shit goes down. Mid way through the main set, we're getting a reprieve from the bangers with a ballad section, she on the piano belting out Always Remember Us This Way. Hold your lighters in the air if you want lads, adds to the atmosphere. Beginning of the encore, she busts out Shallows and the entire Pyramid field is joining in with the chorus. Gonna be a killer.

• Upvote 1

I wonder how much gravitas Glastonbury carries with artists these days in such a saturated market? There are some huge commercial festivals worldwide.

We're running out of acts the size of Rolling Stones, David Bowie, Stevie Wonder, etc. They're either dead or have played what is highly likely to be their only show. Those left have either split up or aren't active. They can't book someone who isn't available.

The next tier of suitable acts (outside of the British bands who appreciate the significance of the festival over here) appear to be in it for the money. Maybe that's always been the case? Maybe as regular attendees we gaze too romantically towards the festival based upon its historical headliners and expect too much?

1 minute ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Do they actually? One of my mates who went to BST said it was good but he's obsessed with them and I knew he'd think it was amazing regardless. Have read from other people that it wasn't good.

Most people I’ve seen on here say it was good, including people who had seen them shit the bed before. I thought it was good. The papers said it was good.

Also reviews of other festivals around the world seem to come back pretty decent too. No guarantee they’d be any cop this year but the bad live stuff seems a bit further in the past nowadays.

11 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

It seems to me that there's at least a chance that this is just another of many acts (generally modern rock bands) whose live reputation has fallen victim to the efests echo chamber. I don't doubt there have been performances some may have not enjoyed, but that's turned into "they're a shit live band and that's final". 

Edited by The Martini Police

6 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Spinning the ASIB soundtrack rn and getting shivers down my spine at how good this is going to be. Show staring off with the lights slowly coming up, we can hear Gaga singing Somewhere Over The Rainbow from offstage before she bursts on and shit goes down. Mid way through the main set, we're getting a reprieve from the bangers with a ballad section, she on the piano belting out Always Remember Us This Way. Hold your lighters in the air if you want lads, adds to the atmosphere. Beginning of the encore, she busts out Shallows and the entire Pyramid field is joining in with the chorus. Gonna be a killer.

See you down in the pit when Stroke blast out Juicey Juice.

5 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Most people I’ve seen on here say it was good, including people who had seen them shit the bed before. I thought it was good. The papers said it was good.

Also reviews of other festivals around the world seem to come back pretty decent too. No guarantee they’d be any cop this year but the bad live stuff seems a bit further in the past nowadays.

Fair enough then, that makes me a little more hopeful, didn't realise you were at that gig. In fact it may just have been @Mash011 who said they were shit at BST so I probably shouldn't have put any stock in that.

Could Childish Gambino headline in UK? His name has been mentioned in dispatches as possible sub.... could he be bumped up like Florence. I tend to think no particularly as Stormzy is headlining already and that might be too similar! Personally though I think he would be a more interesting headliner than Liam G  or the Strokes for example.