2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

4 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

Gaga - Vegas residency finishes on 15th June. No other tour dates, residency starts again in October.

Strokes - On tour, playing festival in Europe on 11/07. Defined indie.

Ariana Grande - In US on Glastonbury weekend.

Bon Jovi - UK tour finishes 23/06. Next dates in Europe start 03/07.

The 1975 - playing Reading & Leeds who never share headliners with Glastonbury.

Killers - not on tour.

Rihanna - not on tour.

Taylor Swift - not on tour.

Fleetwood Mac - Emily said not booked.

Madonna - Emily said not booked.

Led Zep - not a thing anymore plus Emily said not booked.

Awesome summary, thanks!

3 minutes ago, Superscally said:

Cheers fella, but is "not on tour" a rule out? Glasto is a bit different, innit?

The not on tour acts are American. Glastonbury means jack shit to Americans so an artist isn’t going to come out of their holidays/hiatus to do it unless they have touring plans already

also re Rihanna, her name has been thrown around a lot in previous years but I truly think she’s done with music / being a major pop star. She makes way more money with her make up line now!

Edited by Matt42

1 minute ago, Superscally said:

Cheers fella, but is "not on tour" a rule out? Glasto is a bit different, innit?

Maybe but you'd expect them to do at least a few warm up shows, needed not just for the band but for sound, lights etc.

It's a risk to do a massive, probably televised show when not fully match fit.

26 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

Gaga - Vegas residency finishes on 15th June. No other tour dates, residency starts again in October.

Strokes - On tour, playing festival in Europe on 11/07. Defined indie.

Ariana Grande - In US on Glastonbury weekend.

Bon Jovi - UK tour finishes 23/06. Next dates in Europe start 03/07.

The 1975 - playing Reading & Leeds who never share headliners with Glastonbury.

Killers - not on tour.

Rihanna - not on tour.

Taylor Swift - not on tour.

Fleetwood Mac - Emily said not booked.

Madonna - Emily said not booked.

Led Zep - not a thing anymore plus Emily said not booked.

FWIW Emily never said that Madonna wasn’t booked. Only FM and LZ. Unless I’ve missed another quote somewhere?

http://stagedoor.fm/2018/11/10/glastonbury-2019-emily-eavis-teases-british-male-friday-night-headliner/

99% sure it won’t happen though because she’ll probably be too expensive and isn’t touring.

Edited by The Red Telephone
Forget this now - I’ve been corrected! Sorry Gnom! #ahtt

6 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Do you really think Tame Impala have songs as well known to casual music fans as Big For Your Boots and Shut Up?

Probably not Tame Impala no, you could only really argue ‘The Less I Know The Better’. Definitely Foals though 

Edited by basynthnd

2 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

The not on tour acts are American. Glastonbury means jack shit to Americans so an artist isn’t going to come out of their holidays/hiatus to do it unless they have touring plans already

also re Rihanna, her name has been thrown around a lot in previous years but I truly think she’s done with music / being a major pop star. She makes way more money with her make up line now!

That's just not true. To say Taylor or at the very least, her management are not aware that it's the biggest festival on the planet in terms of importance would be naive at best. Springsteen played it because he learned of its importance. Jay-Z, Beyonce and Metallica were actively pushing to play. 

8 minutes ago, mufcok said:

There's still absolutely nothing to suggest Lady Gaga is there? Get a lot of people want her to play but there hasn't been anything.. at all.. to suggest it? Unless I've missed something 

Yes, you've missed something. But I'm not going over it again.

Just now, The Red Telephone said:

FWIW Emily never said that Madonna wasn’t booked. Only FM and LZ. Unless I’ve missed another quote somewhere?

http://stagedoor.fm/2018/11/10/glastonbury-2019-emily-eavis-teases-british-male-friday-night-headliner/

99% sure it won’t happen though because she’ll probably be too expensive and isn’t touring.

no fleetwood mac , led zeppelin or madonna from her talk in Taunton ....... but things change 

1 minute ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Although I can't remember the last time they pulled a huge surprise out of nowhere, the Eavis' have never let us down before and I'm still of the opinion that they've got something closely guarded up their sleeve. 

#Beleavis

#dontstopbeleavis

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

The strokes were great in 2011 but I think a part of that was I was with a big group of strokes fans who were up for it!

considering they haven’t had any sort of further commercial success since 2011 is a bit weird.

I was sold last night it was the strokes but now i’m seriously doubting it. I imagine there will be plenty of numbers in Glastos phone book before they take that big a leap.

if the two other headliners were stronger I’d probably get onboard with it - but I think this years Glastonbury could be the first festival where the undercard is technically “more popular” than the headliners.

I think this is a bit of an exaggeration. The Strokes are a safe headliner; they headline festivals all over the world that are as big as Glasto when they're active, they have the songs to do it, they've never done Glasto before and they're a rare enough live proposition to make it at least a slightly interesting booking. They'll also satisfy the "real music" mob who threw a fit over Stormzy headlining.

The fact they'll be replacing a rock act probably works in their favour, too. Glasto may accept booking a slightly weaker headliner if it means keeping the genre spread that they initially wanted (which may have partly been the reason they took a punt on Stormzy as the third headliner).

They may see it as "Yeah, we could go for Gaga or someone instead who's a bigger act, but we've already pissed off a lot of our core demographic with the Stormzy booking and can't afford to do it again". Plus whoever they don't book is then available to book in future years. Like with The Cure they may be a "book em while we can" element to it.