2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

2 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

Am I right in thinking the perceived idea that the Sunday headliner is to appease the "locals" (which i'm sure i've read numerous times) wouldn't really fit the new idea that The Strokes are headlining on aforementioned day?

Looks incredibly like that The Cure are the Sunday headliner, so we're looking for a Saturday night party act...

Am I right in thinking the perceived idea that the Sunday headliner is to appease the "locals" (which i'm sure i've read numerous times) wouldn't really fit the new idea that The Strokes are headlining on aforementioned day?

With Macca out of the picture, it'd be The Cure for Sunday now surely given they're in Belgium on the Friday?

Thought we were thinking The Cure on Sunday?

I find it really odd the odds for The Strokes. You would of thought a good odd would have made people put more money on but were consistently low. Someone knows something and I cant see past it know however I couldnt see past Macca and how did that turn out?

3 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

the locals have an expectation of an act 'for them' who haven't been at the festival all weekend - although they don't always get it.

Michael got loads of hassle any time he was out and about the year they booked Muse for the Sunday.

1 minute ago, eFestivals said:

the locals have an expectation of an act 'for them' who haven't been at the festival all weekend - although they don't always get it.

Michael got loads of hassle any time he was out and about the year they booked Muse for the Sunday.

That's quite funny tbf. Oasis and Macca the first two nights then the locals get Muse (who were obvs a much smaller, less mainstream proposition back in 2004). I'd imagine a lot felt similarly in 2013.

You'd have to be really desperate to book The Strokes in 2019, knowing what a car crash they are now.

Stormzy, Lady Gaga, The Cure is a very balanced trio. It gives us one hip-hop, one pop, one rock. One up and coming new artist, one established current artist, one legend. One man, one woman, one ghoul.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

21 minutes ago, basynthnd said:

They may not be the biggest mainstream act in the world but they’re definitely not polar opposites. They’d never be headlining Coachella if they weren’t mainstream.

Id be very surprised if they’re at Glasto this year but the Stormzy booking means you can’t discount these types of acts in the future.

Listen, I love Tame Impala and would love it if they headline, but they are NOT mainstream enough to headline a UK festival. Maybe so in the US and Australia. Are Die Toten Hosen mainstream enough to headline a UK festival? Nope. They are however headling Hurrine and Southside alongside the Foos, M*m*rd and the Cure, showing that "mainstream" is completely market dependent. 

1 minute ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

You'd have to be really desperate to book The Strokes in 2019, knowing what a car crash they are now.

Stormzy, Lady Gaga, The Cure is a very balanced trio. It gives us one hip-hop, one pop, one rock. One up and coming new artist, one established current artist, one legend. One man, one woman, one ghoul.

I reckon it would be a brilliant set and cannot wait. I love these opinions, The Strokes defined indie and will smash it. Looks like they are headlining and people need to enjoy them.

17 minutes ago, thrillhouse188 said:

What exactly is an act "for them"? ?

A big act with timeless hits such as Friday I'm In Love, Boys Don't Cry and The Lovecats probs.

2 minutes ago, RarerThanDandyB said:

I reckon it would be a brilliant set and cannot wait. I love these opinions, The Strokes defined indie and will smash it. Looks like they are headlining and people need to enjoy them.

I mean, I love The Strokes, but they're w*nk live.

Just now, Gucci Piggy said:

A big act with timeless hits such as Friday I'm In Love, Boys Don't Cry and The Lovecats probs.

I mean, I love The Strokes, but they're w*nk live.

I reckon they could smash it. I didn't realise the bad set in Leeds since I thought it was class. Few drinks with my best mates seeing the Strokes would be great and the best time. Cannot wait for them to be announced.

3 minutes ago, JoBalls said:

Killers headlined Latitude last year, is it not a bit of a leap from that to headlining the Pyramid? 

Less of a leap than for the Strokes, Killers have headlined before so they know the ropes and arguably would go down better with the majority of the crowd. They're like Coldplay, in that people will moan and groan at their repeated appearances but when they're ten pints in walk away saying it was the greatest set of the weekend after Mr Brightside. The Strokes can be VERY variable live.

Just now, RarerThanDandyB said:

I reckon they could smash it. I didn't realise the bad set in Leeds since I thought it was class. Few drinks with my best mates seeing the Strokes would be great and the best time. Cannot wait for them to be announced.

Tbh unless there's something I really wanna see opposite them I'll probably just get smashed and go along. I was entirely sober when I saw them at Leeds so that didn't help.