2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

As popular as they are on here (and with me), Foals and Tame Impala are not headliner material for Glastonbury. On merit they may well be but a huge chunk of people have probably heard of neither.

Wouldn't surprise me to see The Killers after last year to be honest even if there's nothing above that to support it. Although I think it's nailed on Strokes and Cure.

Edited by EamerRed

1 minute ago, Gucci Piggy said:

If they announce something for the Summer then maybe. Right now there's no indication they're going to be active at all.

True, but then weren’t half the band not active at the time they did the secret set, but replaced the touring musicians for just that gig? Implies to me they’d take it as a one-off if offered.

1 hour ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

This badger beef needs to get wound up and stat.

Queen are one of the few acts with a banger index that rivals Macca.  People will piss and moan about the Fred-deficit but even with Adam Lambert they're still in a far better position to headline a major gig than a band fronted by Julian Casablancas.

Not a Queen fan, but this is inarguable.

5 minutes ago, theevilfridge said:

True, but then weren’t half the band not active at the time they did the secret set, but replaced the touring musicians for just that gig? Implies to me they’d take it as a one-off if offered.

It was just one of them who'd left by that point. I think one guy rehearsing for one gig is more likely than a whole band starting up again just for one gig - I imagine there are a lot more people involved in that than just the band members.

6 minutes ago, EamerRed said:

As popular as they are on here (and with me), Foals and Tame Impala are not headliner material for Glastonbury. On merit they may well be but a huge chunk of people have probably heard of neither.

Wouldn't surprise me to see The Killers after last year to be honest even if there's nothing above that to support it. Although I think it's nailed on Strokes and Cure.

Most people would have said the same about Stormzy a couple of months ago...

There's more to suggest The Strokes than anyone now.. Grimshaw's double mention, the person on here who heard from someone who works for a large promoter, they're active; already announced to headline two European festivals in July (which obviously means they in Europe a few weeks after Glastonbury) and a U.S one in May.

I know we've learnt to take Michael Eavis' comments with a pinch of salt but did he not say a couple of acts who haven't played before for 2019 at some point? It would also fit with that if so

Personally I think they fit in as a trio with Stormzy and The Cure as well. Stormzy is the differential, The Cure pleases a lot.. with a risk of getting a backlash.. the older lot as well. The Strokes still have a huge appeal in some circles and fit the bill of a big indie band.

We shall see I guess..

6 minutes ago, michaelsknight said:

New (Trump-baiting) single announced this week, no?

Yeah they released a single that Brandon Flowers apparently started writing like 7 years ago. It didn't come with any news of a new album or anything and it doesnt seem like a reason to tour. Seems like a total one off, to me.

And I'm not saying they couldn't end up touring; the last album is probably still recent enough to do another string of festivals on the back of, they just don't seem likely right now when it's already January and there's no indication of them touring.

This whole "not big enough to headline" thing; Glastonbury has the potential to create festival headliners and shouldn't be relying on the Old Guard all the time.    

Foals & Tame Impala could headline if Glastonbury wanted to give them the chance.   Foals have already proved themselves capable with R&L and Tame Impala will have Coachella under the belts by then.

I actually don't think either will headline but it'd be a shame if Glastonbury didn't consider giving bands like that a bump up.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Yeah they released a single that Brandon Flowers apparently started writing like 7 years ago. It didn't come with any news of a new album or anything and it doesnt seem like a reason to tour. Seems like a total one off, to me.

And I'm not saying they couldn't end up touring; the last album is probably still recent enough to do another string of festivals on the back of, they just don't seem likely right now when it's already January and there's no indication of them touring.

Flowers said the band’s new album will likely arrive in 2020. “In a perfect world, I could see the end of the year having something, but it’s probably more likely that it would be early 2020,” he explained.

https://consequenceofsound.net/2019/01/the-killers-land-of-the-free/

37 minutes ago, RyanS said:

So hard to keep up.   I know that Emily ruled out Fleetwood Mac and Madonna.

I think that leaves us with the following options, have any of these been ruled out?

The Strokes
Lady GaGa
Rihanna
Foals
Tame Impala
Ariana Grande
Bon Jovi
The 1975
The Killers
Liam Gallagher

Add the Banjo Bunch to that list too

10 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Completely different. Stormzy is a massive mainstream star. Tame Impala are the polar opposite.

They may not be the biggest mainstream act in the world but they’re definitely not polar opposites. They’d never be headlining Coachella if they weren’t mainstream.

Id be very surprised if they’re at Glasto this year but the Stormzy booking means you can’t discount these types of acts in the future.