2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

5 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

It's because they've done nothing of note for over a decade, and really they've been riding one album for 18 years now.

That said, The Stone Roses have managed similar.

The 2nd coming is just as good as their first imo. But both their albums imo have eclipsed anything the strokes have done. 

• Upvote 1

There's no reason to believe Jennifer, and even if she is right they may have moved on from whoever she meant.  I just think its interesting that she said she didn't think we'd guess.  What name does she think has NOT been suggested???  Even Slayer on the Park could have been true.

1 minute ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

Personally I think it's between Gaga or The Strokes.

If that's right, I hope it's Gaga as I know I have no interest in seeing her. I might be tempted to see The Strokes in the hope they play those two songs they have but even fans of theirs say they are dull live so I know I'd regret it.

Catching up here but is there anything to rule out The Killers? Secret set went down a storm and they're about next year.

I'm resigned to it being someone quite uninteresting at this point. The chances are they've got an act that we already know is touring next year, and the majority of those are quite "meh" options. Best case scenario is Gaga but I'll be stunned if they pull something like that off.

4 minutes ago, Honeybane said:

Remember Emily saying they are future headliners 

Fair enough, maybe in that case I should lump on them to headline. I spoke with Melvin Benn at Reading 2013 and spoke about Foals, he said he loves them and that maybe they could headline 2016 and for whatever reason I didn't put money on it

1 minute ago, dentalplan said:

Radiohead played 90% of OK Computer in 2017 tho so

Slightly different considering it was the 20th anniversary of its release (the re-issue actually came out the day of the show IIRC).

The Strokes have been farting out Is This It plus the singles from the other albums for years now.

6 minutes ago, mufcok said:

Opinions again though

I absolutely love their 2nd and 3rd records. Angles is pretty good as well, not so much the last one

Certainly don't ride on that one album for me

Yeh its complete bollox that they ride on one album. 1st and 2nd are incredible, 3rd is decent, can give or take 4, and i love 5!

Unlikely I know, but just throwing the possibility out there. Wonder if they've been in contact with their mate Damon and got a one off Blur show lined up. Don't believe it myself but since the conversation is flowing...

Just now, FloorFiller said:

Fuck it, it’s The Strokes, ain’t it?

That guy said Stormzy, The Strokes, The Cure.

Grimshaw heard The Strokes.

Emily said ‘a couple of blokes’.

There are fuck all other realistic possibilities.

Outside of an act reforming out of nowhere (although who?!) I’m all out of ideas.

That really is a grim set of headliners in 2019. And I actually like all of them!

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, thrillhouse188 said:

Where did The Cure come from btw? Are they defo nailed on? 

came from the same source as Macca did. :P

But I've also had info the same info from another  - and better - direction, including a re-confirm of the info from the same place. 

So The Cure should still be accurate as I always felt it was the better info of the two.

(and if Jennifer on twitter is on the money with what she's heard then Macca was originally the plan anyway - so my Macca info might well have been right at the time).

1 minute ago, eFestivals said:

came from the same source as Macca did. :P

But I've also had info the same info from another  - and better - direction, including a re-confirm of the info from the same place. 

So The Cure should still be accurate as I always felt it was the better info of the two.

(and if Jennifer on twitter is on the money with what she's heard then Macca was originally the plan anyway - so my Macca info might well have been right at the time).

and like that Sir Paul McCartney has been stripped of his strong rumour...

There's a similar discussion on the NOS/Mad Cool threads where it's hard to see who else can headline apart from fairly grim prospects. There just seems to be a lack of exciting headliners this year (subjective, of course). Lots of exciting distant possibilities (i.e. Gaga) but in terms of who we actually know is around and doing festivals next year...it's looking like slim pickings.