2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

I stumbled across this.  I was at a couple of these which myself and the rest of the crowd seemed to disagree somewhat with their conclusions, also am I alone in having a traditional definition of headliner (which some of these clearly weren't)?

https://www.radiox.co.uk/festivals/glastonbury/the-worst-glastonbury-headliners-of-all-time/ 

21 minutes ago, clarkete said:

I stumbled across this.  I was at a couple of these which myself and the rest of the crowd seemed to disagree somewhat with their conclusions, also am I alone in having a traditional definition of headliner (which some of these clearly weren't)?

https://www.radiox.co.uk/festivals/glastonbury/the-worst-glastonbury-headliners-of-all-time/ 

In fairness Oasis deserve to be top. They were bloody awful! Comfortably the worst headline set I've seen at any festival.

25 minutes ago, clarkete said:

Too many entries on that list are just having a pop at the acts rather than whether their performance was any good.

42 minutes ago, clarkete said:

Skrillex headlining the Other Stage in 2014 was a fucking triumph as far as I'm concerned

23 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Too many entries on that list are just having a pop at the acts rather than whether their performance was any good.

To be fair, if you asked most of Efests who the worst headliners of recent times are, most of the answers would be nothing to do with performances on the night and everything to do with how naff the acts are e.g. Mumford & Sons, Coldplay

1 minute ago, crazyfool1 said:

My description of Skrillex that night was ... shit music .. great lightshow  but my 3 other friends all seemed to enjoy the set 

There was nothing sophisticated about the music or the technical skill in the transitioning of tunes, it was a mix of EDM and dubstep (accompanied by Sonny's screechy shouting) which some would argue is lowest common denominator electronica. It made me dance, the atmosphere was fantastic and the production was good so I thought it was great fun. Everyone around me seemed to agree

11 minutes ago, The Martini Police said:

To be fair, if you asked most of Efests who the worst headliners of recent times are, most of the answers would be nothing to do with performances on the night and everything to do with how naff the acts are e.g. Mumford & Sons, Coldplay

Mumfords were shite though. I enjoyed Coldplay's sets more than I thought I would (although not enough to make me feel better about missing LCD).

1 hour ago, Hugh Jass said:

In fairness Oasis deserve to be top. They were bloody awful! Comfortably the worst headline set I've seen at any festival.

Certainly it's what I think of when people refer excitedly on here and elsewhere to whether they could reform and play this year, but I've defo seen worse than that, although in some cases acts I just got bored of and others have raved about here.  (eg. Springsteen and Kanye).

Yes, agree very much, for example myself and everyone in my vicinity loved that White Stripes set.  Having read since of Meg's anxiety I feel lucky to have seen her before that became too much.

I enjoyed Coldplay's sets more than I thought I would (although not enough to make me feel better about missing LCD).

As I recall, that's very high up on their best performances list, which as @The Martini Police said would not go down well here :D 

7 hours ago, MetaKate said:

I was going off the fact that the stages go late... last year on the Saturday Bon Iver did 2 DJ sets... one at 10pm and one at 12am, with Eminem headlining from 11-12. I thought it would be a similar set up seeing as Phish's DJ sets are the Sunday. That's just how it looks to me

Yeah, Bonnaroo does a lot of unique things with scheduling. In this case, Sunday is excluded from the going late thing because it's the last day of the fest. 

Also, just for the record, Phish doesn't do DJ sets...2 sets just means they will play for about 75 minutes, take a break, then come back and play for another 90

16 minutes ago, The Martini Police said:

https://www.nme.com/news/music/stormzy-responds-critics-headlining-glastonbury-2019-2428744

Our Friday night headliner here accusing Coldplay, Beyonce and Radiohead of treating Glastonbury like 'just another day in the office'. 

(Yes I know it's NME but I assume the quotes are verbatim)

They are, but if you see the link therein you'll see he said that for him too.

“But if you are waiting for the Glastonbury headliner to give you the Glastonbury headline caliber performance, then have no fear, calm down, settle: this will be a day in the office."

"You see like how Coldplay or Beyoncé or Radiohead treat Glastonbury? It’s just another show, a day in the office, only it’s the biggest fucking day in the office ever.” 

https://www.elle.com/uk/life-and-culture/a25788236/stormzy-elle-2019/

16 minutes ago, clarkete said:

“But if you are waiting for the Glastonbury headliner to give you the Glastonbury headline caliber performance, then have no fear, calm down, settle: this will be a day in the office."

"You see like how Coldplay or Beyoncé or Radiohead treat Glastonbury? It’s just another show, a day in the office, only it’s the biggest fucking day in the office ever.” 

Interesting, very good spot. That addition of 'this will be a day in the office' from Stormzy in the Elle article does indeed potentially change the meaning. Is it just me or does that look like a sneaky, intentional removal to change how the comments appear?

24 minutes ago, clarkete said:

I wanna work in that office.

4 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

Mumfords were shite though. I enjoyed Coldplay's sets more than I thought I would (although not enough to make me feel better about missing LCD).

Of the festivals I was at, M*mford, Red Ed and Kanye seemed to be the shittest from general reaction, but I wouldn't have been near any of em, so instead of forming a reasoned response, I'll just say they were goddamn awful. Of the headline sets I've seen, the XX, Gorillaz and Bjork were the biggest let downs, though I was destroyed tired for Bjork. 

10 hours ago, MetaKate said:

I thought it would be a similar set up seeing as Phish's DJ sets are the Sunday. That's just how it looks to me

would love to listen in on the phone call when you inform Phish management & band to keep their instruments at home as they've been booked for DJ sets for Bonnaroo 

16 minutes ago, The Martini Police said:

Interesting, very good spot. That addition of 'this will be a day in the office' from Stormzy in the Elle article does indeed potentially change the meaning. Is it just me or does that look like a sneaky, intentional removal to change how the comments appear?

Aye, not like NME to stir up a bit of clickbait amongst the rock/indie faithful :) 

17 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I wanna work in that office.

Fair shout, although hats off to him if he's had the b*lls or patience to read even a tiny bit of the froth people have been writing about him thus far. 

I get annoyed in an office just by people asking me to do my job.  Woe betide me if they took a critical eye at my output ?

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, FatAmmy said:

Yeah, Bonnaroo does a lot of unique things with scheduling. In this case, Sunday is excluded from the going late thing because it's the last day of the fest. 

Also, just for the record, Phish doesn't do DJ sets...2 sets just means they will play for about 75 minutes, take a break, then come back and play for another 90

1 hour ago, tevaburger said:

would love to listen in on the phone call when you inform Phish management & band to keep their instruments at home as they've been booked for DJ sets for Bonnaroo 

They're going to play 3 NON DJ sets? This is absolute madness. 

I've never heard a Phish song in my life.

2 minutes ago, Johnnyseven said:

They're a jam band, like the modern day Grateful Dead. Been going for years. They usually play for hours at a time, 3 sets will be no problem.

Oh I know who they are and what they are... I know they put on their own festival and play the entire thing. 

I more so think its madness that Bonnaroo is essentially giving them 3 headline slots. That's really going all in on 1 band. It would make more sense to me if they had 1 headline and then just played the entire day at their own stage. If you didnt like Phish I cant see you wanting to go with that lineup. 

2 hours ago, MetaKate said:

They're going to play 3 NON DJ sets? This is absolute madness. 

I've never heard a Phish song in my life.

Back in 2017 they did a 13 show run at Madison Square Garden and didn't repeat one song 

"13 Shows. No Repeats." 

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/08/arts/music/phish-trey-anastasio-bakers-dozen-interview.html