2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

Fuck it, let's have Gaga on the Sunday night with Hot Chip subbing. The Cure just seem such an odd choice to close the Pyramid, can you imagine all the fireworks and that jazz going off whilst Bob and the boys look so bloody dreary. If they're willing to co-headline or play second stage at Southside or wherever then headlining Other isn't outlandish. Wouldn't say it's likely, but it's not beyond the realms of possibility. 

Could be they accepted that slot like Metallica, where they are set to be bumped up if Macca falls through? If they can't get Macca then they could easily switch Gaga to the Saturday night as she's not actually touring, then have The Cure switch to Pyramid on the Sunday. 

2 minutes ago, kingbadger said:

If they're willing to co-headline or play second stage at Southside or wherever then headlining Other isn't outlandish.

Pretty sure it’s like a second main stage so they won’t be up against Foo Fighters. Seems to be so that they can both have a day off in between cos they’re auld fellas. For all intents and purposes they are headlining the festival still, which they wouldn’t be doing on the Other Stage.

12 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Pretty sure it’s like a second main stage so they won’t be up against Foo Fighters. Seems to be so that they can both have a day off in between cos they’re auld fellas. For all intents and purposes they are headlining the festival still, which they wouldn’t be doing on the Other Stage.

As best I can tell, it's a second major stage (like the Other Stage could be considered), but still with a distinct pecking order and a visible difference in size.

I can't find a good arena map for Southside, so using Hurricane as an example which is basically the same thing - last year they had a similar situation with Arctic Monkeys & Arcade Fire. Arctics headlined the main (Green) Stage, Arcade Fire headlined the second (Blue), but with their times only slightly overlapping. But looking at the times generally, one stage is definitely programmed much stronger overall than the other.

2716115_1_articlefancybox_Unbenannt_2.png

1 hour ago, incident said:

As best I can tell, it's a second major stage (like the Other Stage could be considered), but still with a distinct pecking order and a visible difference in size.

I can't find a good arena map for Southside, so using Hurricane as an example which is basically the same thing - last year they had a similar situation with Arctic Monkeys & Arcade Fire. Arctics headlined the main (Green) Stage, Arcade Fire headlined the second (Blue), but with their times only slightly overlapping. But looking at the times generally, one stage is definitely programmed much stronger overall than the other.

2716115_1_articlefancybox_Unbenannt_2.png

Ye but they were both headlining the festival so it’s not really the same deal as it would be at Glastonbury. Like, The Cure have coheadlined stuff before and probably gone on before their coheadliners - think they’re actually playing before Tool in the summer but obviously doesn’t mean they’d sub at Glastonbury.

15 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

The Cure are headlining major festivals throughout Europe next summer. They sold 80,000 tickets for Hyde Park this summer.

Why would they play the second stage at Glastonbury?

There was also a rumour before they were announced to headline Reading and Leeds that they were in fact headlining the NME Stage and Green Day (or someone else, not sure) were headlining the main stage. 

2 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

The Cure are headlining major festivals throughout Europe next summer. They sold 80,000 tickets for Hyde Park this summer.

Why would they play the second stage at Glastonbury?

"Hey Bob. We'd love you to play, but we'd also like a female headliner because it'd be great for the industry in general. Would you mind playing the second stage, so that Lady Gaga can headline the pyramid?"

I'd like to think that Robert Smith might actually support this kind of thing.

32 minutes ago, harderfaster said:

"Hey Bob. We'd love you to play, but we'd also like a female headliner because it'd be great for the industry in general. Would you mind playing the second stage, so that Lady Gaga can headline the pyramid?"

I'd like to think that Robert Smith might actually support this kind of thing.

I'd like to think that. But I don't.

4 hours ago, dentalplan said:

There was also a rumour before they were announced to headline Reading and Leeds that they were in fact headlining the NME Stage and Green Day (or someone else, not sure) were headlining the main stage. 

That was never gonna happen. 2012 was another year when they were headlining every festival in Europe.

5 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Good relationship with the Eavii and desperation to finally play the festival.

I'm not sure who that's a reply to?  It appeared to be about the Cure, but they've played multiple times before hence my confusion?

Edited by clarkete

6 hours ago, clarkete said:

I'm not sure who that's a reply to?  It appeared to be about the Cure, but they've played multiple times before hence my confusion?

I believe he is making fun of this ludicrous suggestion that they'd play a lower than normal slot as The Cure have played loads and Michael has slagged them off in the past.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

I can't be sure, but based on the sources I heard it from I'm pretty sure they were.

Unless Prince was being lined-up to do the Other Stage that year...? :P 

The festival may have considered it, but I doubt Metallica would have. Surely it would have been far more likely that Arcade Fire or Kasabian dropped down a slot to accomodate Prince? 

12 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

The festival may have considered it, but I doubt Metallica would have. Surely it would have been far more likely that Arcade Fire or Kasabian dropped down a slot to accomodate Prince? 

from what I heard about that year, they'd lost another act they'd planned for (I'm not sure who), because Prince was originally planned for the Sunday but then got moved to Saturday - so Kasabian had been told a long time before they were headlining the Pyramid, while Metallica were still set for the Other Stage.

All of the info I had was telling me they were planned to play on the Other Stage, against Prince, and that Metallica were willing to do it.

I don't think it's beyond reach to think Metallica would have played the Other. They're huge, but Glastonbury is clearly not their target audience so they would probably have seen it as something a bit different and a chance to reach a different audience. Makes sense from their POV. 

I'll believe The Cure playing that slot when I see it though.