2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

2 minutes ago, Keithy said:

The EU and UK will put in place a short term contingency plan on March 29th to ensure travel is not disrupted etc, etc for tourists and short term visits

You're hopeful. ;)

There's lots of legalities around doing that, not just between the UK and EU, but between the UK and the rest of the world.

For example, the number of UK flights to the USA are part of an EU/USA agreement, and while the EU might decide to 'extend' that agreement with the UK, there's no obligation on the USA to do so. Plus of course the EU would like some of those flights.

Also flight-worthiness issues, insurance issues, and anything else that ties back to that EU flights agreement.

Saying "we'll just make a quick temporary agreement" isn't so simple, particularly when they'll be countless agreements like these needed.

13 hours ago, eFestivals said:

You're hopeful. ;)

There's lots of legalities around doing that, not just between the UK and EU, but between the UK and the rest of the world.

For example, the number of UK flights to the USA are part of an EU/USA agreement, and while the EU might decide to 'extend' that agreement with the UK, there's no obligation on the USA to do so. Plus of course the EU would like some of those flights.

Also flight-worthiness issues, insurance issues, and anything else that ties back to that EU flights agreement.

Saying "we'll just make a quick temporary agreement" isn't so simple, particularly when they'll be countless agreements like these needed.

I'm hoping as a Canadian nothing changes for me. It seems like ties are actually going to be strengthened between us but there's really no way to be sure until things shake out. If my ability to go to Glastonbury is affected I'm gonna lose it/ force one of you into a sham marriage.

33 minutes ago, Glasto Goer '19 said:

Paul Heaton and Jacqui Abbott are playing a couple of shows on the 20th/21st June. Anyone else think they'd be likely to play?

I hope so.

Saw them in the acoustic tent a few years back around 8pm and had a great time as it seemed to be a sort of greatest hits set. But saw them early doors on the Sunday in 2016 on the Other and it wasnt as good. Probably nothing to do with them, just a big outdoor stage in the morning plus tiredness due to all the mud didnt make a great mix.

25 minutes ago, Divein said:

I hope so.

Saw them in the acoustic tent a few years back around 8pm and had a great time as it seemed to be a sort of greatest hits set. But saw them early doors on the Sunday in 2016 on the Other and it wasnt as good. Probably nothing to do with them, just a big outdoor stage in the morning plus tiredness due to all the mud didnt make a great mix.

Yeah fingers crossed. I didn't watch in '16 but I'd definitely swing by if they were there next year.

On 12/20/2018 at 3:53 PM, henry bear said:

Brexit shouldn’t make much difference. Glastonbury is on a list of events for which participants don’t need work permit equivalents.

Talking to a bass player in a high profile band recently he said that basically Brexit will make European tours unfeasible for UK artists (unless arrangements are made that keep everything like they are now). With all the gear having to be checked at every border after we leave it just wouldn't be worth their while doing a tour of Europe

That would be similar for bands coming over here, although I guess they'd only need to be checked at the one border coming into the UK, but the extra hassle and admin could put some of the smaller EU bands off

Let's keep our fingers crossed for Christine and the Queens for 2019 then!

1 hour ago, billum said:

Talking to a bass player in a high profile band recently he said that basically Brexit will make European tours unfeasible for UK artists (unless arrangements are made that keep everything like they are now). With all the gear having to be checked at every border after we leave it just wouldn't be worth their while doing a tour of Europe

That would be similar for bands coming over here, although I guess they'd only need to be checked at the one border coming into the UK, but the extra hassle and admin could put some of the smaller EU bands off

Fuck Brexit, Jesus, had never even considered these implications. Everytime I read something it just gets worse. 

5 hours ago, Divein said:

I hope so.

I saw them at the King TUts tent at T in the Park and they were tremendous

27 minutes ago, H.M.V said:

Fuck Brexit, Jesus, had never even considered these implications. Everytime I read something it just gets worse. 

Just console yourself by imagining how much more control we'll have over being able to do much less! 

16 minutes ago, H.M.V said:

I'm more concerned about my status and whether I will have any assurances to stay in the country. :( 

Similar issues here. Wife has just been given dual UK / Dutch nationality / passport. & Woffling. Was fuckin hard work as she (wife) was born in SAfrica. Apparently if we move there - which we can - I can have one...if I can speak decent Dutch. Visiting her relatives 2-4 times a year is gonna be hard work (for me) though. My mother in law (Dutch, no UK passport, lived / worked here 20+ years) is...concerned. 

6 minutes ago, Woffy said:

Similar issues here. Wife has just been given dual UK / Dutch nationality / passport. & Woffling. Was fuckin hard work as she (wife) was born in SAfrica. Apparently if we move there - which we can - I can have one...if I can speak decent Dutch. Visiting her relatives 2-4 times a year is gonna be hard work (for me) though. My mother in law (Dutch, no UK passport, lived / worked here 20+ years) is...concerned. 

It's a real shit show. Nobody can make any plans and lives are essentially on hold till some clarity is given. I know we've been told that if we're in the country we can stay but the amount of flip flopping and lies means sleepless nights. Anyway, sorry for derailing with the misery of you know what. 

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, H.M.V said:

I'm more concerned about my status and whether I will have any assurances to stay in the country. :( 

I'm pretty sure you will regardless, although she lies she has said a few times that they'll guarantee the rights of all EU citizens even in the event of a no deal Brexit. The system they'll set up to do that will be a disaster though. I've got a few friends in the same boat as you, horrible not knowing for sure. 

Edited by Mr.Tease

2 hours ago, billum said:

It’ll only be an issue if we end up with a no-deal Brexit, which is a possibility obviously, but I don’t think it’ll happen. But even if it did, I don’t see why UK acts couldn’t tour the EU like any other third country act. They’d be checked at the border when they arrive, but they’d then have free movement within the Schengen area. 

24 minutes ago, H.M.V said:

It's a real shit show. Nobody can make any plans and lives are essentially on hold till some clarity is given. I know we've been told that if we're in the country we can stay but the amount of flip flopping and lies means sleepless nights. Anyway, sorry for derailing with the misery of you know what. 

im not going to let it happen ... no other reason than you share/ shared  the same surname I believe :) not relevant I know :) 

2 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

im not going to let it happen ... no other reason than you share/ shared  the same surname I believe :) not relevant I know :) 

Aw bless ya. I'm sure I personally will hopefully be ok but it affects so many people with uncertainty. (curious to your surname now :D )