2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

43 minutes ago, Xeph1995 said:

I mean your completely off the mark here to be honest, I just don't think the Beatles are very good. Almost certainty everyone here as heard the same music as me? there all pretty big names and its been what close to 60 years i don't really understand your point of view.

Fair enough. I can’t tell you what you like or why you like it or anything, it’s just what I gleaned from what you said about Rolling Stones having a no. 1 blues song.

It’s just I used to think very similarly about The Stones and The Beatles, saying they were overrated and actually not that good, and used to think it was pointscoring to know and appreciate other bands from their era (Floyd, Doors, Cream, etc.) instead when I was in fact owning myself devastatingly.

To say the Beatles were 'too white' is particularly odd when pretty much all of their initial influences were black - The Shirelles, Ray Charles, Chuck Berry, Phil Spector's early (female black) bands, Little Richard, Isley Brothers, Barrett Strong... OK also other rock&rollers like Elvis and Carl Perkins, but they really brought the black american RnB sound to a much wider influence with many covers of those artists, playing on the same bill as those artists when they toured the UK and Hamburg, and many of their early songs were very much in the same mold

So many other major bands of the 60s were much much whiter than them, Herman's Hermits, Freddie & the Dreamers, Cliff Richard / The Shadows - the Beatles stood out so much specifically because of their american black soul / RnB influences, obtained partly by being based in a port where the records were coming over on ships from the US every week

4 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

People were saying the same about The Cure just over three months ago.

At least The Cure still headline major festivals, do The Strokes any more? Honest question, haven't really seen them on many lineups over the last few years so not sure where they would place these days.

Only frame of reference I have these days is that BST gig a few years back which sold so badly they were giving tickets away in the build up to it.

6 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

At least The Cure still headline major festivals, do The Strokes any more? Honest question, haven't really seen them on many lineups over the last few years so not sure where they would place these days.

Only frame of reference I have these days is that BST gig a few years back which sold so badly they were giving tickets away in the build up to it.

Lollapalooza, Austin City Limits, Primavera Sound and Benicassim spring to mind from very recent years. Reading and Leeds if you go back a little further. But no, they're not gonna headline Glastonbury. Secret set is the best chance, I reckon.

Edited by The Martini Police

16 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

They seem to headline pretty much anything they play nowadays. Not festivals as big as Glastonbury but what else is? Plus I feel they’ve had something of a resurgence along with many other 2000’s indie bands, and they’ve played only a handful of shows in the past seven years so a lot of youngsters still need to see them. I think they could still headline Glastonbury at some point - seems more likely than a lower spot anyhow.