2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

On 12/14/2018 at 11:47 AM, priest17 said:

I'm gonna have to drag my mates to see Macca.

Imagine that, DRAGGING people to see an actual THE BEATLE. Clowns. Didn't even stand up when Robert Plant took to the stage and played one of the greatest songs of all time.

Love 'em though.

Id have to be dragged too, a lot of people find the beatles boring myself included, I love music from the 60s and 70s but the beatles for me are one of the worst from that time period along with the rolling stones. painfully white one might describe them.

Edited by Xeph1995

14 minutes ago, Xeph1995 said:

Id have to be dragged too, a lot of people find the beatles boring myself included, I love music from the 60s and 70s but the beatles for me are one of the worst from that time period along with the rolling stones. painfully white one might describe them.

If The Beatles and Stones are the worst of the 1960’s, who’s the best?

20 minutes ago, Xeph1995 said:

You big into Herman's Hermits?

32 minutes ago, henry bear said:

If The Beatles and Stones are the worst of the 1960’s, who’s the best?

I mean theres are far too many good acts to list Aretha Franklin had a pretty astounding 60s anything on Stax Records, B.B king, The Doors. John Coltrane, Miles Davis and Hendrix (I know he broke in UK first) to name a few from the America, if where speaking Brtish, John Mayal and Bluesbreakers, King Crimson, Cream, Peter Green era Fleetwood Mac, The kinks I mean there are many many great artists from that era and we could keep going on but I mean theres not much point, the Beatles and Rolling Stones are just quite bland. 

Edited by Xeph1995

2 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

You mean the first ever blues single to get to number one in the UK charts? That Little Red Rooster?

Its painful to listen too. I can't get through the rolling stones singing a blues song without cringing 100 times over. idk maybe just me..

That fact that it was a number 1 single just says it all really.

Edited by Xeph1995

3 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I guess so.

I mean, the Stones are still obviously nice middle class boys from the Home Counties, but I think their credentials on that front are about as good as it gets.

Comparatively speaking, The Doors are pure brexit. The Donald Trump of sixties rock bands.

I guess well have to agree to disagree

25 minutes ago, Xeph1995 said:

Its painful to listen too. I can't get through the rolling stones singing a blues song without cringing 100 times over. idk maybe just me..

That fact that it was a number 1 single just says it all really.

I don’t get it. It’s not like Blues was an excursion for the Stones - it was very much their thing.

Your grievance seems to be that The Beatles and Stones were the most popular and want to demonstrate that you’ve heard blues in its more natural forms and you’ve heard more sixties music than those dominating the charts. I assure you, so has everyone else interested in Macca on here but they appreciate him as a songwriter regardless.

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

I don’t get it. It’s not like Blues was an excursion for the Stones - it was very much their thing.

Your grievance seems to be that The Beatles and Stones were the most popular and want to demonstrate that you’ve heard blues in its more natural forms and you’ve heard more sixties music than those dominating the charts. I assure you, so has everyone else interested in Macca on here but they appreciate him as a songwriter regardless.

I mean your completely off the mark here to be honest, I just don't think the Beatles are very good. Almost certainty everyone here as heard the same music as me? there all pretty big names and its been what close to 60 years i don't really understand your point of view.

Edited by Xeph1995
  • Downvote 1

I remember being on a Christmas night out and the vibe in the back room of the pub getting progressively spoiled when someone in the front bar put on the Best of The Doors and seemed intent in letting it play out in full.

Eventually one punter got sufficiently riled to shout out 'What c**t put on The fucking Doors?' just as someone with a man-perm, bare chest and leather trousers came in to clear the glasses.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I remember being on a Christmas night out and the vibe in the back room of the pub getting progressively spoiled when someone in the front bar put on the Best of The Doors and seemed intent in letting it play out in full.

Eventually one punter got sufficiently riled to shout out 'What c**t put on The fucking Doors?' just as someone with a man-perm, bare chest and leather trousers came in to clear the glasses.

That is actually really quite funny

The thing about the Beatles is that they were the perfect storm of initially being a group of young lads for the girls to swoon over, who evolved into an incredibly eclectic act where they covered as much musical ground in one album as some bands do in a career. All in eight years.

They were the biggest band in the world and they were real* innovators. And most importantly, this musical adventurousness was matched by an innate gift for melody that's rare, yet they had it in at least two of their songwriters. A truly remarkable phenomenon. And Paul McCartney was responsible for at least for 1/3** of their success.

* I recognise that due to their massive popularity, they have eclipsed their influences to a point where it appears that they invented musical ideas they were copying. But, still.

** This involves a very complicated formula that I'm not going to explain right now, but it doesn't look good for Ringo.

• Upvote 2