2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

2 hours ago, Brave Sir Robin said:

It’ll be wonderful when Macca does it, potentially a proper Glastonbury Moment.

Not so much when some random punter strikes up the umpteenth drunken rendition of it, staggering down the railway line a few hours later...

Tbf when some drunk randomer starts it staggering down the railway line for the umpteenth time hours later its still gonna be class. 

3 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Is it overplayed these days?  Beetle and the lads seem to be slowly drifting off the cultural radar.  The White Album reissue came and went with nary a murmur.

That said... it has 130m Spotify streams, but that's pretty paltry vs. something like Shape of You or God's Plan. Even Here Comes The Sun trounces it.

They'll be super popular again when the holograms start touring. 

24 minutes ago, eastynh said:

I'll be quite happily singing Boy From School, while the day trippers are going mad for Macca.

Me too man. Tried my best to get into Beatles and Macca stuff since the announcement and I just can't. I seriously love The Rolling Stones, Beach Boys, Simon & Garfunkel, which you'd think would be a guarantee I'd at least enjoy the Beatles, but massive swathes of their music just turn me right off. There's definitely stuff in there I can really enjoy, but it always turns out to be Harrison or Lennon stuff. 

4 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Me too man. Tried my best to get into Beatles and Macca stuff since the announcement and I just can't. I seriously love The Rolling Stones, Beach Boys, Simon & Garfunkel, which you'd think would be a guarantee I'd at least enjoy the Beatles, but massive swathes of their music just turn me right off. There's definitely stuff in there I can really enjoy, but it always turns out to be Harrison or Lennon stuff. 

Listen to some Wings and early solo stuff.

edit: listen to his entire oeuvre

Edited by dentalplan

Been glancing over at the coachella boards and the most common prediction seems to be Childish Gambino, Pearl Jam and Kanye West. 

Seems like a pretty standard set of American festival headliners. I am surprised that Pearl Jam are being given another shot at Coachella in this current music climate. I guess if Gambino was on some lineups next year it would make his appearance at Glastonbury a bit more likely.

I still think (unless I can be proven wrong) he will get snapped up by Wireless... would it be possible for him to play both? Surely he’d get a headliner slot at wireless which might put Glastonbury in jeporday. 

18 hours ago, jparx said:

Aye that's a helluva setlist. That final hour on the Pyramid is going to be next level shit.

I'm not sure what people think about this, but here goes - Fuh You is a banger. 

i don't know if I've seen the full setlist but I didn't see stuff like "I Don't Know" or "Dominoes" or even the obvious poppy "Come On To Me" on those setlists. I mean, I know he has a ton of old tunes to play to the masses but "Fuh You" just seems to be one of those too obvious attempted but annoying crowd pleasers (to me at least) when there's better stuff on the quite decent new record (am quite surprised it isn't listed frequently on the thread for records of year) to feature. I Don't Know is one of my tunes of the year...

14 hours ago, Brave Sir Robin said:

Not so much when some random punter strikes up the umpteenth drunken rendition of it, staggering down the railway line a few hours later...

Well, that's good. When I read @Hugh Jass's point about how everyone loves a big group sing along I thought for a minute I might have to give in and actually go and watch him. Now I realise that isn't necessary, as there will be plenty of other opportunities for drunken warbling to Hey Jude....

15 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Is it overplayed these days?  Beetle and the lads seem to be slowly drifting off the cultural radar.  The White Album reissue came and went with nary a murmur.

That said... it has 130m Spotify streams, but that's pretty paltry vs. something like Shape of You or God's Plan. Even Here Comes The Sun trounces it.

tbh, I think the Beatles drifted a bit off the radar in the early 90's too but the Anthology documentary series brought them back. I think half the problem is that their output is so vast and complex that if you're a young 'un, then you probably only have passing association with a few songs; Love Me Do, Strawberry Fields, Hey Jude, etc... and don't appreciate the vast catalogue of amazing songs that rarely get airplay. When Anthology was on TV, it created a natural starting point for people to review their work and more to be played. The other issue is Macca (rightly) only plays his Beatle songs so you have huge swathes that never get played live or even get airplay.

Bowie had a similar issue with his smaller output. When he died, a lot of  people just associated him with Ziggy Stardust as if that's all he did. Certainly every fecking memorial mural is Ziggy.

I don't think there will be another 'cultural review' of the Beatles until both Macca and Ringo have died. Certainly when the last Beatle has gone, it'll be a significant moment in history. 

Edited by Keithy

9 hours ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

I don't mind the Beatles but I have never been one to watch an act just to tick them off so to speak.

I could not watch Macca knowing that one of my fave bands were playing at another stage.

Now if I get a ticket, I will have to watch Hot Chip on my own as literally all my group want to watch Macca. I would not regret watching Hot Chip where as I know that I would with Macca. 

1 hour ago, eastynh said:

Now if I get a ticket, I will have to watch Hot Chip on my own as literally all my group want to watch Macca. 

If you get a ticket, I'll join you! I haven't done a poll as yet, but I imagine that there's gonna be a fair few of my crew that won't be able to resist the large-scale singalong....

Feel like Macca is a bit of a box ticking exercise for me, I'll go because of FOMO but I'm not thrilled by him as a headliner. I've have a lot of friends (in their 20's) who worship the beatles but I've never really "got" them. I understand the significant impact on music they've had and continue to do, but the music doesn't excite or enthrall me as it seems to do with my mates. 

• Upvote 1