2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

24 minutes ago, fatyeti24 said:

McCartney's the closest I get to a box-ticker.  I'd never normally do it, but it'll almost certainly be the last chance to do so.  So I'll defer my decision until closer to the time, when I'll probably be in some bar miles away and choose another pint instead.

I saw Hot Chip in 15 and it was damn near perfect, so that itch is scratched really.

Yeah this is basically me. I don't think I've ever seen an act just to box tick before (unless nothing else of interest was on at the same time, like with Dolly/Lionel), but I feel like I shouldn't miss Macca even though I have no real interest in him or The Beatles. Although, to be fair, I've never really tried to get into them, and both times I've seen The Bootleg Beatles I've enjoyed myself, so I maybe I will be able to get into him. I'll definitely be having more of a listen before June.

Right now I'm expecting either The Streets or Chems up against him on Other and Hot Chip on WH. Thankfully I'm not fussed about missing any of these (Chems are great but I saw them do the same slot in 2015), but if they stick something like Thom Yorke or MBV or whatever on JP/Park it might have to be the first half or so of Macca and then leg it elsewhere, which actually sounds pretty good if I don't get super into his stuff by next Summer.

Of bands that are likely to grace a stage again, only ACDC could pull me away from Macca (he says without being in possession of a ticket, so his opinion doesn't matter as he's got a ginormous L on his forehead, so nobody cares. NOBODY!!), but I can't see them being on the John Peel if WH and Other are the two mentioned. Maybe the Park? Greatest gig ever. 

11 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Yeah this is basically me. I don't think I've ever seen an act just to box tick before (unless nothing else of interest was on at the same time, like with Dolly/Lionel), but I feel like I shouldn't miss Macca even though I have no real interest in him or The Beatles. Although, to be fair, I've never really tried to get into them, and both times I've seen The Bootleg Beatles I've enjoyed myself, so I maybe I will be able to get into him. I'll definitely be having more of a listen before June.

It's definitely worth giving it a go. Despite their back catalogue I think The Beatles are often unfairly judged by their 10 or so much popular songs, those being the most 'mop-top-pop' (i.e. Can't Buy Me Love) or overly played (i.e. Hey Jude). There's so much more to them which justifies them being the best band ever. 

18 minutes ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

It's definitely worth giving it a go. Despite their back catalogue I think The Beatles are often unfairly judged by their 10 or so much popular songs, those being the most 'mop-top-pop' (i.e. Can't Buy Me Love) or overly played (i.e. Hey Jude). There's so much more to them which justifies them being the best band ever. 

Yeah I definitely will do. Think the only album I've ever listened to is Sgt. Pepper, after the Bootlegs were announced as performing it at Glasto last year. Didn't like it very much but don't really remember it tbh. Will check out other stuff.

7 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Yeah I definitely will do. Think the only album I've ever listened to is Sgt. Pepper, after the Bootlegs were announced as performing it at Glasto last year. Didn't like it very much but don't really remember it tbh. Will check out other stuff.

Would recommend doing the run of Help > Rubber Soul > Revolver to begin with. 

If you're coming to Beatles completely from scratch I'd recommend just starting with the red and blue albums. Good thing about them is that they're chronological and naturally split out their various eras.

First half of the Red is all moptops and sharp suits, second half is the Help/Rubber Soul/Revolver era. Then the first half of the Blue is more psychedelic era - Pepper/Magical Mystery Tour and finally there's the breakup era - White/Abbey Rd/Let It Be.

Those two compilations cover all of the biggest hits and then you can just dig into the respective albums of anything you like the sound of.

• Upvote 3

Firefly Festival in US was announced yesterday, it's the week before Glasto, usually very little carryover. Anyway, names of note that are on the lineup include Travis Scott, Post Malone, Courtney Barnett, Brockhampton, Vampire Weekend, Lykke Li, Death Cab for Cutie, Young The Giant, and Tyler The Creator.

2 hours ago, Anarion said:

Never been a big fan of The Beatles, so I think I have to go for Hot Chip. Missing their set in 2015 is one of my big Glastonbury regrets. Was supposed to see Florence and Hot Chip, but then Dave Grohl had to go and break his leg and my friend was intent on seeing Florence.

If I go to Paul McCartney I would just be waiting for Hey Jude and Let it be and not really caring for all the other songs.

Imagine missing Hot Chip in 2015 for anyone other than Super Furry Animals! 

I'm very much in your position where I don't really know much Beatles stuff outside of the big hits, let alone his solo work, but will no doubt end up there. He's one of my girlfriend's dream acts and it's her first Glastonbury, with our difference in taste it would be a good compromise. Would love her to see a Pyramid headliner too, especially as the other 2 are non-starters for her.

At least I have a good 6 months to dig into the Macca/Beatles back catalogue and get to know the big sing along tunes.

1 hour ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Check out the A Hard Day’s Night and Help movies too. Also Ron Howard’s movie about their touring years (8 Days A Week (?)) from a few years ago.

1 hour ago, gearbm95 said:

Firefly Festival in US was announced yesterday, it's the week before Glasto, usually very little carryover. Anyway, names of note that are on the lineup include Travis Scott, Post Malone, Courtney Barnett, Brockhampton, Vampire Weekend, Lykke Li, Death Cab for Cutie, Young The Giant, and Tyler The Creator.

Also Unknown Mortal Orchestra, Phosphorescent, Snail Mail, Car Seat Headrest and Hop Along:

Sx4LJPecM1DZXVcaaN8dJH7OSWihLe91TjhvFSMa

16 minutes ago, Brave Sir Robin said:

Just had a look at the 2017 lineup (also a week before G), Blossoms and Maggie Rogers made it over but that was it. 

That's it? Bit lame. We already know BROCKHAMPTON should be at Glasto, not that that changes anything. Was definitely expecting Let's Eat Grandma, but felt all the rest of them could go either way. Wasn't expecting Saba tbh.

52 minutes ago, Phoenix Girl said:

I don’t like Vampire Weekend being on there then if there’s not much cross over.

They're in Europe for July at least, so Glastonbury could be the start of their European festival circuit. I'd be quite surprised if they don't show up on the Farm.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Superscally said:

Wow. If that was the festival I went to every year I'd shoot myself in the nuts after Courtney Barnett. Yes, I know I could just leave, but that's not a statement.

The lineups in the USA are really going downhill, plus a lot of festivals have been cancelled, "fallowed" or cancelled their second  weekend (sasquatch, okeechobee, electric forest, respectively). I think the festival bubble has popped and the scene is making a shift to try to accommodate, but unfortunately they're just creating shit lineups. 

The (festival) market in the USA is oversaturated and I think were going to see more discontinuations of smaller younger festivals.. I'd be shocked if Firefly was around next year after a lineup like that. 

Edited by MetaKate
  • Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, MetaKate said:

The (festival) market in the USA is oversaturated and I think were going to see more discontinuations of smaller younger festivals.. I'd be shocked if Firefly was around next year after a lineup like that. 

Agreed. I think a lot of the newer festivals over here were backed with business plans that promised they'd be making money within 3 years. When that doesn't happen, the plug gets pulled.

Wayhome (near Toronto) is a good example.  Pretty solid line ups in 2015 (Kendrick, Neil Young) and 2016 (Arcade Fire, LCD Soundsystem, Killers).  In 2017 they cut one of the four stages, and had someone called Flume headlining.  It did not return.

The North American festivals are just all kind of the same. Last year, there seemed to be a pool of a few dozen bands that were interchangeable between every festival.  

32 minutes ago, BackpackFullOfWarmBeer said:

Agreed. I think a lot of the newer festivals over here were backed with business plans that promised they'd be making money within 3 years. When that doesn't happen, the plug gets pulled.

Wayhome (near Toronto) is a good example.  Pretty solid line ups in 2015 (Kendrick, Neil Young) and 2016 (Arcade Fire, LCD Soundsystem, Killers).  In 2017 they cut one of the four stages, and had someone called Flume headlining.  It did not return.

The North American festivals are just all kind of the same. Last year, there seemed to be a pool of a few dozen bands that were interchangeable between every festival.  

I'm Canadian,  and with it being a fallow year last year my plan was to go to a north American fest.  Every lineup was so bad. I ended up doing a new one in BC (skookum) but it was so poorly planned I'll never go back. 

• Like 1