2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

4 hours ago, Zacko said:

Oh now that's a shout.

I'll always remember desperately needing a piss for the first half and then sprinting to the urinals, preceding to empty the tank with a massive fucking grin on my face as they played Like a Friend (for the first time ever I think?). It had been a feature of our Uni playlists at the time and was just one of those brilliant Glasto moments. 

None of my mates came to watch them so it was a solo trip, but that just made it all the more memorable. Stood at a urinal in a field at the best festival in the world, watching a secret set from an act as massive as Pulp.

Ooooo yeah, Jesus. That was good. 

2 hours ago, The Red Telephone said:

Pity the poor fucker who went to see Shaggy on Sunday afternoon 2017.

That was me. Yeah, wasn’t the best choice, but you know, worth it for domestic harmony. By Sunday, I’ve usually pretty much had my fill of music and choosing, happy just to sit somewhere, have some food while something plays in the background

1 minute ago, Mardy said:

That was me. Yeah, wasn’t the best choice, but you know, worth it for domestic harmony. By Sunday, I’ve usually pretty much had my fill of music and choosing, happy just to sit somewhere, have some food while something plays in the background

I think the only 2 acts I stood and watched on Sunday last year were Shaggy and Cassette Boy!

3 hours ago, The Red Telephone said:

Pity the poor fucker who went to see Shaggy on Sunday afternoon 2017.

13 minutes ago, slash's hat said:

I will take your pity. Complete disappointment. And stood in part of the field where sound was rubbish (heard it wasn't everywhere). Left Barry Gibb early for that as well.

I can top this for general Shaggy awfulness.

Watched Frank Carter (who was epic) from a spot just inside the JP quite far up the left hand side - a good spot all things considered! REALLY wanted to stay for the Killers, but I'd lost my phone (standard) and had to stick with my friend so as not to get lost, and he'd arranged to go and find his GF (who is also my best friend) after Frank at Shaggy. Not only did we have to leave before Killers, but we got lost and ended up walking round in a circle back to The Other stage somehow. He was pretty mashed so his general chat was at an all time low. Turned up for the end of Shaggy, which was really awful, only to then discover that those guys had a really shit evening lined up which didn't include Moderat or Justice. Whilst wondering how I could salvage my Sunday, as these guys didn't have the phone numbers of my other friends, I randomly bumped into one of their acquaintances in the West Holts crowd (notably, he was walking away from Shaggy!) and got their number from him, so sent a text asking them to meet me after the Killers by the Beat Hotel bar. Off I wondered to the JP by myself, phoneless and uncontactable. By the time I got there, I could hear Mr Brightside being played full pelt, drank a cocktail and a couple of shots in quick succession, which didn't exactly add to my fragile mental state, and became convinced that my friends would never find me and I'd ruined my Sunday. Cue mini-breakdown/tears of happiness when they did of course eventually locate me.

To add insult to injury, I then spent £50 on Killers tickets for Sheffield the following December, and they were not awful, but definitely pretty tediously boring. Clearly missing that JP magic. 

22 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

Watched Frank Carter (who was epic) from a spot just inside the JP quite far up the left hand side - a good spot all things considered! REALLY wanted to stay for the Killers, but I'd lost my phone (standard) and had to stick with my friend so as not to get lost, and he'd arranged to go and find his GF (who is also my best friend) after Frank at Shaggy. Not only did we have to leave before Killers, but we got lost and ended up walking round in a circle back to The Other stage somehow. He was pretty mashed so his general chat was at an all time low. Turned up for the end of Shaggy, which was really awful, only to then discover that those guys had a really shit evening lined up which didn't include Moderat or Justice. Whilst wondering how I could salvage my Sunday, as these guys didn't have the phone numbers of my other friends, I randomly bumped into one of their acquaintances in the West Holts crowd (notably, he was walking away from Shaggy!) and got their number from him, so sent a text asking them to meet me after the Killers by the Beat Hotel bar. Off I wondered to the JP by myself, phoneless and uncontactable. By the time I got there, I could hear Mr Brightside being played full pelt, drank a cocktail and a couple of shots in quick succession, which didn't exactly add to my fragile mental state, and became convinced that my friends would never find me and I'd ruined my Sunday. Cue mini-breakdown/tears of happiness when they did of course eventually locate me.

To add insult to injury, I then spent £50 on Killers tickets for Sheffield the following December, and they were not awful, but definitely pretty tediously boring. Clearly missing that JP magic. 

Oh Sasperella, I felt your pain reading this. Losing your phone and your mates on a Sunday is definitely tear inducing.

7 minutes ago, Phoenix Girl said:

Oh Sasperella, I felt your pain reading this. Losing your phone and your mates on a Sunday is definitely tear inducing.

Aye, it's a total nightmare. I've lost or broken a phone by the Friday of the last four festivals I've been to. 2019 will be different!!!!!

36 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

Yep, you win! Wanted to see Frank Carter too, considered Killers but knew it would be rammed, but thought no...shaggy will be good fun and not likely to see him again. We all make mistakes! Bootleg Beatles afterwards cheered my mood at least.

I don't have enough Glastonburys under my belt but that Killers set was one of the best shows I ever seen. I'm not a fan of them though that set made me much more positive about them but I acknowledge more than 50% percent of the magic belong to the awesome atmosphere in the JP. I didn't watch Elbow set at the Park, but seeing a fantastic set by them in another festival back in 2015 made me a fan, so I can believe that in the right atmosphere their set can be a great one. 

Also, I think that secret sets have a greater appeal than a normal one, even if those sets weren't so secret to those of us on efest (thanks again to all those who were involved!). Especially when it's about seeing a band play at a stage much smaller than their actual size and/or much earlier than they should. 

• Upvote 1

*dons miserable old bastard hat* *

I've been to loads of Glastonburys.  I've forgotten better bands than the Killers and have successfully avoided Pulp on numerous occasions.  I will however suggest that one of the finer non-Pyramid headliner shows I've seen was Orbital on the (then) NME stage in 1994.  You know the one - the only non-Pyramid headliner show that ever troubles the upper reaches of the GOAT Glastonbury sets.

I wasn't alone in that field that night - who else was there?

*My miserable old bastard hat is always donned.

• Upvote 1