2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

I wouldn’t say that many on that list are surprising omissions though. The likes of Blondie, Dylan and Cohen obviously have played, but not as headliners. Cohen wasn’t a frequent tourer for much of the 80’s/90’s/00’s too. Led Zeppelin were far too big for Glastonbury when they were a going concern. Apart from her pre-fame pub gigs, Kate Bush has only played live in 1979 and 2014. I can’t see her doing Glastonbury ever. Fleetwood Mac and The Strokes are the two that you might have realistically expected to headline, but it’s all about the green stuff with them, and I don’t think The Strokes are contenders anymore.

2 hours ago, priest17 said:

wow and people thought Stormzy going from Other sub to headlining was big, NME would have number 2 on this list jump from second on the Other to headlining https://www.nme.com/blogs/nme-blogs/legendary-acts-youd-assume-headlined-glastonbury-havent-2412442

Tbf at their peak they would have been headliner material. Blonde were massive back in the day, obviously things change over time. 

If you suggested Skunk Anansie, Travis, Ash, Shakespeare Sister etc could headline now then you'd be laughed at but they all did and plenty of others. 

Not a bad article in terms of what it's saying as all those bands were big enough to headline at one point or another. 

26 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Tbf apart from Dizzee and New Order, it is mildly surprising nowadays - more so to less-obsessive peeps than us - that such huge cultural names have never headlined.

In my second year I had Bob Dylan randomly playing in the middle of the day.  As a consequence I didn't think Glastonbury did the "bigger bands play later" thing. In my first year Beck, who I thought was massive seemed to be playing in the morning and a Britpop band on their third album was the last band to play the Pyramid on the Saturday.

In hindsight it made sense, but as a teenager without much internet access and reasonable access to recreationals, it all seemed to be a jumble.

Edited by stuartbert two hats

3 minutes ago, Gozpot said:

Yesterday Phil Collins announced a European Tour ending the Wednesday of Glastonbury, no UK dates announced, doubt it’d be a popular booking on here but definitely possible.

I can see him playing the Acoustic tent maybe. Not that he is especially acousticy but I'd say he seems to fit that tent. Well there or Arcadia.

26 minutes ago, henry bear said:

I wouldn’t say that many on that list are surprising omissions though. The likes of Blondie, Dylan and Cohen obviously have played, but not as headliners. Cohen wasn’t a frequent tourer for much of the 80’s/90’s/00’s too. Led Zeppelin were far too big for Glastonbury when they were a going concern. Apart from her pre-fame pub gigs, Kate Bush has only played live in 1979 and 2014. I can’t see her doing Glastonbury ever. Fleetwood Mac and The Strokes are the two that you might have realistically expected to headline, but it’s all about the green stuff with them, and I don’t think The Strokes are contenders anymore.

But again, to people with less of a knowledge on these things - so, most people - you could imagine them thinking that any of these acts headlined in their prime.

15 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

In my second year I had Bob Dylan randomly playing in the middle of the day.  As a consequence I didn't think Glastonbury did the "bigger bands play later" thing. In my first year Beck, who I thought was massive seemed to be playing in the morning and a Britpop band on their third album was the last band to play the Pyramid on the Saturday.

In hindsight it made sense, but as a teenager without much internet access and reasonable access to recreationals, it all seemed to be a jumble.

Yeah I guess that’s the deal here; the more excited about this stuff you are, the more you can find out, the less exciting it actually is when firmed up. :lol:

55 minutes ago, henry bear said:

I doubt your average NME reader knows about Leonard Cohen's 80s-00s touring habits or The Strokes' propensity for only playing high-paying shows tho.

So excited to be coming to Glasto from the US this year...the first big fest of the year (Hangout) announced their lineup today and Travis Scott, Cardi B, The Lumineers, Khalid, Vampire Weekend, and Kygo are headlining...I threw up in my mouth a little, the US fest scene (outside Coachella and Bonnaroo) really blows lately...

53 minutes ago, henry bear said:

You're likely to get Throwing it All Away > Follow You, Follow Me > Invisible Touch.

I know, but just imagine those three songs Tonight, Tonight, Tonight then Domino then Mama closing the Pyramid one night, it would be the greatest ever end to a night

... shame it won't ever happen though. I can still dream

3 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

I'm sorry, I know he's a c**t but the man has some absolute tunes. Easy Lover, Invisible Touch, Sussudio... Sorry HMV but I'm a slave to the rhythm.

I hear ya, he has some catchy tunes that are proper ear worms but I really can't get over how  much I want to punch him in the face.