2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

40 minutes ago, Phoenix Girl said:

I’m not agreeing or disagreeing with anyone’s posts about who is bigger than who but thought the monthly listens on Spotify are an interesting guide for popularity as of right now (and I am in no way intending to stoke the fire with this info ?)

Gaga 32 million

Metallica 11 million

Macca 10 million

The Cure 6 million

Arcade Fire 3 million

Stormzy 3 million

Kasabian 2 million

Problem is and you can probably get this information if someone can be arsed, you'd have to get the info for the prior three from. The time they were booked and not as of now otherwise it doesn't really give you a fair reflexion.

This month Stormzy has been confirmed as a Glastonbury headliner and this has had a surge of interest, Gaga has just been in a very big and well received film and tbf I have no idea if The Cure have done anything else lately. 

Kasabian aren't actively doing anything of note, nor are Matallica and I don't think Arcade Fire either so there hits could fluctuate on what's trending at the time.

Or it might be the same even if you go back but your gonna have to get the plays from. That time line and also account for Spotify user base to get a more actuate analysis. 

• Upvote 1

Sorry I should point out a small innacuracy in my post. It’s monthly listenERS not monthly listens. So it counts the number of individual users who listen to a particular artist in each rolling 28 day period (not if one person listens to a track 100 times).

Edit: the only person I can find with more monthly listeners than Gaga atm is Ariana Grande with 41 mil 

Edited by Phoenix Girl

2 minutes ago, kingcrawler said:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-6410207/Glastonbury-Festival-2019-lineup-poster-circulates-social-media.html

There’s yer Daily Mail getting @Mattymooz told. It’s a shame they never linked his tweet or he could have changed his twitter name to something derogatory about them.

If they nicked my fake posters, Bearfur would be the biggest band in Lincolnshire by now.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, yosoyyoberdi said:

So Stormzy 3 million at his careers peak (so far). Might be completely wrong but it seems like in ten years people will look back at glasto 2019 headliners and wonder who the hell was stormzy. 

If anything, there aren't enough headliners that we look back on and think "what was that about?".

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, kingcrawler said:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-6410207/Glastonbury-Festival-2019-lineup-poster-circulates-social-media.html

There’s yer Daily Mail getting @Mattymooz told. It’s a shame they never linked his tweet or he could have changed his twitter name to something derogatory about them.

Damn they got me... what a joke lmao

Must have been a slow news day

Edited by Mattymooz

Is it safe to assume those Spotify numbers are global? Cos the vast majority of Stormzy's 3 million are gonna be from the UK as he has nowhere near as much exposure outside of the UK. Arcade Fire may well have 3 million also, but the vast majority will be from outside the UK I imagine.

31 minutes ago, kingbadger said:

Is it safe to assume those Spotify numbers are global? Cos the vast majority of Stormzy's 3 million are gonna be from the UK as he has nowhere near as much exposure outside of the UK. Arcade Fire may well have 3 million also, but the vast majority will be from outside the UK I imagine.

Mind you I bet Stormzy has had a lot of hits since being heavily linked to being a Glasto headliner. Me and @chatty give him a listen the other day and it's not for me but I'll still be one of the people who are recorded as listening to him. Not really as clear cut as the days when record sales was the currency instead of listens on a streaming site.

39 minutes ago, kingbadger said:

Yeh, I was just thinking this. Although globally people may well be like "who was Stormzy" I think given that it's a UK festival it's ok to have an artist who is mostly big in the UK. Even our Mums know he is for crying out loud! Well, most of them....

11 minutes ago, Glastocat said:

Mind you I bet Stormzy has had a lot of hits since being heavily linked to being a Glasto headliner. Me and @chatty give him a listen the other day and it's not for me but I'll still be one of the people who are recorded as listening to him. Not really as clear cut as the days when record sales was the currency instead of listens on a streaming site.

Also worth noting that artists that feature heavily on popular/sponsored/promoted playlists are likely to see massively inflated numbers. I don't think streaming figures (in isolation) are a good way to judge who is & is not headliner material. 

Edited by Frankly Mr Shankly

1 minute ago, dentalplan said:

Is "I Found You (with Calvin Harris)" the song title?

It's Benny someone featuring him. I heard it the other day and to my shame I reckon it's pretty nice. Used to love Calvin Harris for the first few years he was big, then it all went wrong. Or I grew up. But defo the former.

20 hours ago, chatty said:

The problem is probably that The Cure aren't that big a booking for the rock side, they play all over the shop all the time and are decades past being their most popular. Decent band but I wouldn't say they are any sort of big booking. 

Stormzy is a huge booking for hip hop, he might prove to be but in the current he's just breaking through. 

Gaga is past prime in terms of popularity, he mainstream appeal is a few years past best and she played then on the other stage about third down? She's basically in the fold due to a movie but it's not that much of an inspiring booking in 2019.

Macca was the big booking that held this up and gave the other bands that bit leeway on not being big headlining acts (in 2018). If he's gone and Gaga is in or many other acts tbf it does look pretty weak on paper. 

That said, that's just pyramid headliners, be plenty of good stuff on all over, you don't need to be at the pyramid a single night if you don't fancy it so alls good and if those headliners are up your street then it's great for you but I can see why it would be looked upon as a fairly lacklustre trio at the top. 

Agree baffled by the cure, not exactly a massive band now and haven't been relevant in 25 years.