2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

2 minutes ago, Brave Sir Robin said:

No reason to doubt your source, but Bruce doesn’t fit Macca fan “probably wouldn’t like”, or someone surprising who might say no, IMHO. 

Agreed. Also doesn’t address the potential balance issue from Cure and Macca to Cure and Bruce. 

Guys, 

think logically please

outside rumours, people pulling out etc.

lady gaga, stormzy, the cure.

that is not going to happen, it's no where near strong enough. 

the cure macca stormzy is a lot stronger. If macca has pulled out, there is no chance they are going to replace him with lady gaga. Not when they are giving stormzy the bump up. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Honeybane said:

Guys, 

think logically please

the cure macca stormzy is a lot stronger. If macca has pulled out, there is no chance they are going to replace him with lady gaga. Not when they are giving stormzy the bump up. 

Mate if their biggest headliner has pulled out there's not a lot they can do. They can't just pick up whoever they want when most people who are active will have commitments elsewhere. In fact, if he has pulled out I'd say they'd have done pretty well to get Gaga to replace him.

Yeah it'd be weak, but obviously Stormzy was booked when they thought they had Macca, so they probably thought they could afford to have a smaller headliner alongside him. If Macca then pulls out and they can't get anyone near his size to replace him then they're stuck in that situation.

They can't just conjure up a Springsteen or a Rolling Stones or a Fleetwood Mac outta nowhere.

If Stormzy, The Cure, Gaga doesn't measure up as big enough in some people's eyes then that just shows Glastonbury have backed themselves into a corner with trying to make massive bookings. And if that's the case then the way to rectify it is to book left-feild choices like Stormzy.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Mate if their biggest headliner has pulled out there's not a lot they can do. They can't just pick up whoever they want when most people who are active will have commitments elsewhere. In fact, if he has pulled out I'd say they'd have done pretty well to get Gaga to replace him.

Yeah it'd be weak, but obviously Stormzy was booked when they thought they had Macca, so they probably thought they could afford to have a smaller headliner alongside him. If Macca then pulls out and they can't get anyone near his size to replace him then they're stuck in that situation.

They can't just conjure up a Springsteen or a Rolling Stones or a Fleetwood Mac outta nowhere.

Plus Emily's "most people we wanted are holding out for 50th anniversary" or words to that effect, would suggest they tried all the big guys without much luck and we shouldn't get our hopes up. If Macca has since pulled out then can't see how any big acts would suddenly become available

1 hour ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Even though this is true, I’m sure with the time they have they can still secure a decent 3rd headliner! 

22 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Gaga is a perfectly decent third headliner.

Rap // Pop // (Very) White blokes with guitars

What’s not to like?

Yeah fair enough :) I think it’s probably because I was expecting Macca all this time and feels a bit of a downgrade from seeing a Beatle! But then for some I’m sure Gaga would be a great booking.

The problem is probably that The Cure aren't that big a booking for the rock side, they play all over the shop all the time and are decades past being their most popular. Decent band but I wouldn't say they are any sort of big booking. 

Stormzy is a huge booking for hip hop, he might prove to be but in the current he's just breaking through. 

Gaga is past prime in terms of popularity, he mainstream appeal is a few years past best and she played then on the other stage about third down? She's basically in the fold due to a movie but it's not that much of an inspiring booking in 2019.

Macca was the big booking that held this up and gave the other bands that bit leeway on not being big headlining acts (in 2018). If he's gone and Gaga is in or many other acts tbf it does look pretty weak on paper. 

That said, that's just pyramid headliners, be plenty of good stuff on all over, you don't need to be at the pyramid a single night if you don't fancy it so alls good and if those headliners are up your street then it's great for you but I can see why it would be looked upon as a fairly lacklustre trio at the top. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Honeybane said:

think logically please

The logic doesn't follow. It's still stronger than some recent years, definitely than 2014 (Arcade Fire, Metallica, Kasabian) and you could make a case that it's stronger or at least equal to 2008 and 2015, maybe others. If the festival is happy with the "strength" of the headlining trio in those years, there's no reason to think that they wouldn't be prepared to book Stomzy / Gaga / Cure.

The last couple years of having the biggest acts on the circuit have artificially inflated expectations.

7 hours ago, chatty said:

The problem is probably that The Cure aren't that big a booking for the rock side, they play all over the shop all the time and are decades past being their most popular. Decent band but I wouldn't say they are any sort of big booking. 

Stormzy is a huge booking for hip hop, he might prove to be but in the current he's just breaking through. 

Gaga is past prime in terms of popularity, he mainstream appeal is a few years past best and she played then on the other stage about third down? She's basically in the fold due to a movie but it's not that much of an inspiring booking in 2019.

Macca was the big booking that held this up and gave the other bands that bit leeway on not being big headlining acts (in 2018). If he's gone and Gaga is in or many other acts tbf it does look pretty weak on paper. 

That said, that's just pyramid headliners, be plenty of good stuff on all over, you don't need to be at the pyramid a single night if you don't fancy it so alls good and if those headliners are up your street then it's great for you but I can see why it would be looked upon as a fairly lacklustre trio at the top. 

Also remember though that 3rd down Other for Gaga wasn't the peak of her popularity, she got massively bigger than that to stadium size but Glasto didn't happen for whatever reason. There was one year that it looked nailed on and then the boat passed. Mediocre albums then came.

I'm still firmly in the camp in thinking Macca will be there.

Not trusting this sauce on twitter.

Emily said "we've got a couple of blokes headlining" what, a week or so ago? To me that suggests Stormzy & Macca and I can't see that having changed between then and now.

Did she mention anything which may have even slightly been in reference to The Cure? If not, I remain ever hopeful they won't be there.

5 hours ago, MetaKate said:

Why is everyone thinking gaga now though? Is their any info to suggest this?

No we’ve no info that it’s going to be Gaga apart from maybe a slight hint on the BST forum that she might be a potential for there. For what it’s worth, I don’t think it’ll be her, but at the same time, we’ve no firm info about any act at the moment, for this third slot (if we believe the rumours that it’s no longer Macca - and again for what it’s worth, I actually do). 

I would guess, and it’s only a guess, that they are approaching other artists but nothing has been agreed 100% yet. Jennifer (lead singer of Saltwater Sun) implied on twitter that they had approached an unusual solo artist “all I can say is I was really surprised, and I don’t think you’ll guess” but we may never find out who she was talking about as this person may turn it down.

I think a lot of people on here would love it to be Gaga which is why maybe there’s a lot of talk about her, plus there aren’t many seemingly sensible options to go against her. Those who think it is a weak booking obviously haven’t seen her  Super Bowl half time show.

Some people mention a comment about Emily saying “a couple of blokes” but in all honesty, none of us were there so we don’t really know the context of this comment or even whether Macca’s contract negotiations could have fallen through by then. I’ve looked all over the Internet for the recording of this interview or any more details but I just can’t find more than a small clip of it. Anyone else?

It therefore seems wide open to me atm.