2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

6 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

I actually said a few times that Macca somehow ending up not happening and it being Gaga instead would be ideal. Didn't actually think there was a chance of it happening.

We can have Kendrick, Macca and Elton in 2020.

Although if this is due to Macca's voice going to pot (admittedly I'm the only one who's suggested it's that, but what else would make him pull out of a gig nearly 8 months in advance?) then it could be his last tour, so no 2020 for Pauly

Edited by billum

1 minute ago, billum said:

Although if this is due to Macca's voice going to pot (admittedly I'm the only one who's suggested it's that, but what else would make him pull out of a gig nearly 8 months in advance?) then it could be his last tour, so no 2020 for Pauly

Maybe he could only get a dentist appointment that day.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, billum said:

I also said that about his voice. Granted he’s got 8 (?) US shows in May and June next year but presumably they’ve been in the diary for a while and maybe his voice is only troubling him now. 

Just now, ParkRanger14 said:

Surely if Macca has pulled out (considering Stormzy would be a relatively low-cost headliner) they should still have plenty of funds to replace him with someone massive still? 

Tricky to organise someone last minute though. Admittedly this ain't too bad time wise, but I imagine most of the McCartney size acts have already got something booked.

7 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

I actually said a few times that Macca somehow ending up not happening and it being Gaga instead would be ideal. Didn't actually think there was a chance of it happening.

We can have Kendrick, Macca and Elton in 2020.

End the 2020 headliner thread right now. It's done.

Gaga would be fantastic. Preferable to McCartney, for me. When did Emily say that all headliners were male? Any chance that it could have been before the rumoured Macca cancellation? 

It might be true, it might not. But who fits the "male, not a band" profile and hasn't played in the last year or so? A quick google of the top selling (and high profile) male solo artists of recent years gives us:

Elton John, Bruce Springsteen, Neil Young, Bruno Mars, Eminem, Kendrick Lamar, Drake, The Weeknd, Sam Smith, Phil Collins, Post Malone, Bob Dylan, Robbie Williams...

Let's be honest, though. It's still probably McCartney, innit?

13 minutes ago, billum said:

Conflicting schedules. Why would his voice now make him pull out of a gig in eight months time but not any of the intervening gigs? 

1 minute ago, Mattymooz said:

Tricky to organise someone last minute though. Admittedly this ain't too bad time wise, but I imagine most of the McCartney size acts have already got something booked.

Suppose it depends whether headlining Glastonbury is a big enough draw to cancel other dates

1 minute ago, dentalplan said:

Conflicting schedules. Why would his voice now make him pull out of a gig in eight months time but not any of the intervening gigs? 

Well we don't know for sure that he's not going to cancel some of his US tour as well

... well we don't know for sure that he's cancelled Glastonbury 2019!

... well we don't know for sure that he really was ever booked for Glastonbury 2019!!

So, definitely his voice has gone as me & Phoenix Girl said

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, ParkRanger14 said:

Surely if Macca has pulled out (considering Stormzy would be a relatively low-cost headliner) they should still have plenty of funds to replace him with someone massive? 

They never have plenty of funds, not to pay acts normal going rate.

Will be a shame if Macca is out though the idea of him playing Sat night was a bit annoying as I'd got my heart set on a Sunday night singalong to end the festival. I also got him at 11/1 to headline.

If he's out then we're back to Gaga, 1975 and AM.

I don't buy the crisis line though, especially this far out. Absolute 'worst case' means just bumping up the sub as they've done before.

Edited by Keithy

9 minutes ago, ParkRanger14 said:

Surely if Macca has pulled out (considering Stormzy would be a relatively low-cost headliner) they should still have plenty of funds to replace him with someone massive? 

Seeing as Glastonbury already pay less money than other festivals I doubt Stormzy is getting any less than other headliners.

9 minutes ago, Phoenix Girl said:

I also said that about his voice. Granted he’s got 8 (?) US shows in May and June next year but presumably they’ve been in the diary for a while and maybe his voice is only troubling him now. 

I just don't think voices work like that. Unless he's going to cancel all those shows too, he's not going to pull out of a festival date and keep the tour going for something so far in the future. Selectively cancelling shows for health reasons is something you might do a week or a few days beforehand, if you're expecting to heal in the hope of being able to finish the tour.

If it was health related it could be because he was booked in for an operation - but I can't see Paul McCartney exactly at the end of a waiting list.

19 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

If it was health related it could be because he was booked in for an operation - but I can't see Paul McCartney exactly at the end of a waiting list.

Yeah, he’s getting nodules removed from his vocal chords ???.

Fair point though, I just couldn’t think what else it could be. I’m not sure I buy into Dentals comment about conflicting schedules, it’s not like Glastonbury has moved dates is it?

If he doesn’t end up playing, I guess we’ll never know what happened, unless he cancels any other shows (or adds a load more around then). 

46 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Christ

Stormzy, whoever they can reel in to replace McCartney, The Cure

Not one for the history books ey?

The festival have taken their first risk in booking a headliner in fifteen years, booking a rising young British star for his first major headline set, giving the genre/scene he’s involved in arguably the biggest showcase it’s ever had.

Fairly historic imo.

1 minute ago, thesecretingredientiscrime said:

The festival have taken their first risk in booking a headliner in fifteen years, booking a rising young British star for his first major headline set, giving the genre/scene he’s involved in arguably the biggest showcase it’s ever had.

Fairly historic imo.

I've no doubt that the booking of Stormzy is a pretty bold one and hopefully one that pays off, but I doubt people are gonna look back in ten years time and think 'Wow I wish I was there in 2019 to see Stormzy'.

8 minutes ago, Phoenix Girl said:

Yeah, he’s getting nodules removed from his vocal chords ???.

Fair point though, I just couldn’t think what else it could be. I’m not sure I buy into Dentals comment about conflicting schedules, it’s not like Glastonbury has moved dates is it?

If he doesn’t end up playing, I guess we’ll never know what happened, unless he cancels any other shows (or adds a load more around then). 

When I say "conflicting schedules", I meant him potentially getting offered more shows in the US around the time and getting better money from it - creating conflict with the existing schedule - so you are thinking along the same hypothetical lines as I am.