2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

8 minutes ago, fatyeti24 said:

Not so weirdly, I'd say.  It was one of their funnier sketches.

Loved that sketch. Captured what happened to so many people.... the clothes, attitude, claiming any tenuous link to Manchester. I remember my school's 'reunion' at Christmas '96 for people who'd been away at Uni for the first/second years. The amount of suburban or country living South Devon lads who suddenly were 'madferrit'. That sketch captured those people perfectly!

Oasis mean the world to me and I'll tell anyone who'll listen. What they did will probably never be repeated again, yes it wasn't a band made up of the worlds most talented musician's and songwriters (and Noel is the first to admit that). Right place, right time and it just blew up, simple as that. I love every record they put out and will always cherish them.

At this point though, I really don't see them reforming. Both are doing well on their own, Noel in particular seems in a really good place. He's happy and seems buzzing to be working with David Holmes. Liam would do it tomorrow but it's got personal and think the idea of 'they're just playing upto the media and really get on' has long since passed.

I'm sure they've bad obscene amounts thrown at them to reform already. I really don't see it happening at this point

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

@TheNoise I think it's a fair question and I'll do my best to answer it, though I declare in advance my response is highly subjective and based almost exclusively on my own experiences. (Apologies in advance for the long reply);

I turned 37 this year so I was at secondary school/high school for the majority of the 90s when (to steal Hugh's phrase once more) the Oasis cultural phenomenon began (and indeed peaked). It was a school in Glasgow's east end which was surrounded by some of the cities most deprived areas meaning that it was, it's fair to say, a bit rough. The reason I mention this is that in turn that meant there was quite a bit of what's now known as 'toxic masculinity' on show. An example being a mate of mine at the time who played guitar and was regularly slagged off by the harder kids for doing so. Playing any kind of instrument, even the guitar, was seen as being either 'gay' or old fashioned. I remember one particularly thick ned (as we call chavs in Scotland) took to calling him 'Ringo', there was no irony on his part, he just managed to pick the only Beatles that *didn't* actually play guitar. About the only kind of music that was socially acceptable at that time was bootlegged hard house dance cassettes and The Time Frequency (they were local lads), anything else was viewed with suspicion. That was the norm for the first couple of years.

When we came back after the summer holidays in 1994 things started to change... People started talking about this band Oasis, particularly the singer. Over the next 6 months there was a massive change in the culture. The same guys that slagged my mate off were picking up instruments (almost exclusively guitars tbf, I think one guy went for drums, probably cause they made the most noise), boys were dressing like them, growing their hair. They were listening to Noel's interviews and picking up on his influences and going back and listening to the Sex Pistols, Smiths and The Beatles (maybe that guy finally found out at that point Ringo was the drummer? Anyway) and coming back into school and talking about them. We started bands, they were dreadful (in our particular band we have 5 guitarist, a reluctant drummer and no singer, I'm still dumbfounded we never made it). Between 1994 and 1997 Oasis where *everywhere* and their influence truly transcended their music. For my money much of this is down to Liam and Noel and people - predominately young, working class men - finding someone in mainstream music they could identify with and idolise. Radiohead, Pulp and Blur were all regarded as either too geeky, posh or arty. Whereas in Oasis, particularly Liam, they saw themselves and what they could be. I think this was a hugely powerful and fundamental connection which has endured to this day and why, I'd hazard a guess, their music continues to connect with the younger end of that demographic.

The downside of this is, as Hugh mentions above, unfortunately much of the 'toxic masculinity' I mentioned earlier didn't disappear, instead it was channeled into bad behaviour, more often that not at gigs, where Liam's persona and the bands 'madferrit' attitude undoubtedly helped fuel that behaviour.

Oasis' musical output and live performances were always inconsistent, one great album (Definitely Maybe) one good album (WTSMG), and the rest somewhere between average and forgettable. I saw them multiple times over the years and unfortunately the were disappointing more that they were great. However that being said when they were great, they were outstanding. Even with that patchy history the aforementioned connection with people who other bands simply can't connect with and enough recognisable songs from their heyday mean that a reunion would be a huge deal and, even 20-25 years after they were at their best, most festivals would be delighted to host.

tl;dr - watch 'Supersonic', not only a brilliant documentary but will give probably answer your question better than I have.

Brilliant post, I’m around the same age and this resonates so much with growing up in Swansea at that time.

7 minutes ago, mufcok said:

Oasis mean the world to me and I'll tell anyone who'll listen. What they did will probably never be repeated again, yes it wasn't a band made up of the worlds most talented musician's and songwriters (and Noel is the first to admit that). Right place, right time and it just blew up, simple as that. I love every record they put out and will always cherish them.

At this point though, I really don't see them reforming. Both are doing well on their own, Noel in particular seems in a really good place. He's happy and seems buzzing to be working with David Holmes. Liam would do it tomorrow but it's got personal and think the idea of 'they're just playing upto the media and really get on' has long since passed.

I'm sure they've bad obscene amounts thrown at them to reform already. I really don't see it happening at this point

It’s definitely not gonna happen while L’s solo stuff is still packing out obscenely-large venues but I still think it’s highly likely to when interest in him drops off like it has done in Noel solo. Give it another five years and nobody of gig-going age will have been old enough to see Oasis live at their commercial peak, they’d probably be able to do a whole week of shows at Wembley in those circumstances.

13 minutes ago, mufcok said:

Shhhh, loving one of the greatest bands of all time isn't cool on here. 

I bet you throw piss.

Can I interest you in The National? 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

It’s definitely not gonna happen while L’s solo stuff is still packing out obscenely-large venues but I still think it’s highly likely to when interest in him drops off like it has done in Noel solo. Give it another five years and nobody of gig-going age will have been old enough to see Oasis live at their commercial peak, they’d probably be able to do a whole week of shows at Wembley in those circumstances.

Can we get a definitive age range for this, please?  I must have misplaced my copy of The Handbook.

You do not have to be a fan of Oasis to acknowledge their cultural impact at the height of their fame. They really caught a moment and genuinely had that rock and roll swagger and excitement about them.

First couple of albums are undeniable classics that people will still be singing along to in 10 years time. Like others I can do without the laddishness and boorish behaviour that is sometimes associated with them but their early tunes are magnificent. 

Oasis were a phenomenon for a couple of years;  the Supersonic film will tell you all you need to know.  It was rapidly diminishing returns thereafter, but so it goes for lots of acts.  They did retain their popularity though and were selling out huge gigs until the end, which I'm sure they'd do again if they reformed.

I saw them a couple of times, Manchester Academy in '94 and then the arena in '95 (with support from Chemical Brothers).  Never felt the need to bother with them much after that.

Just now, fatyeti24 said:

Oasis were a phenomenon for a couple of years;  the Supersonic film will tell you all you need to know.  It was rapidly diminishing returns thereafter, but so it goes for lots of acts.  They did retain their popularity though and were selling out huge gigs until the end, which I'm sure they'd do again if they reformed.

I saw them a couple of times, Manchester Academy in '94 and then the arena in '95 (with support from Chemical Brothers).  Never felt the need to bother with them much after that.

I loved Supersonic, would love to see a sequel that focuses on the post-Knebworth years.

The Time Flies dvd has commentary from Noel and Liam on all the videos, think you can find them on YouTube. Noel slagging off Sunday Morning Call is pretty funny.

2 hours ago, Honeybane said:

people were rapping before biggie and tupac, but they are the ones who are considered the best at what they did.

I'm not even their biggest fan but Oasis were very very good at writing a 'simple' big chorus, it inspired so many to try it theirself - especially when they played the 'we're the lads from a council estate' card. People genuinely believed they could do it. 

Which is all the more mystifying as Burnage is quite posh in comparison to north Manchester.

4 minutes ago, yosoyyoberdi said:

eFestivals, the place where Stormzy is the best Glastonbury headliner in the last 10 years due to his massive influence in contemporary culture and Oasis is just a regular band with a couple recognizable songs. 

eFestivals is the greatest website in the history of the entire internet but has a couple blind spots!