2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

17 minutes ago, Bradders said:

I can tell already I’m going to be fighting a losing battle with “Noel Gallagher is not playing Glasto 2019”.

I took it to mean 2020 too. No way Noel would agreee to go below Liam on the bill, nor would Glastonbury have two Gallagher’s subbing the Pyramid in the same year. Unless he’s headlining the Other Stage, which doesn’t seem right to me. Makes more sense for him to be subbing the Pyramid on the 50th anniversary, which would keep his ego sweet, massive bell end that he is.

If Liam packed out the whole field when he was up against Katy Perry on the Pyramid then Noel going up against nobody really of note is going to be even worse, even at 11am.

Only solution I can see is to stick Craig David on the Pyramid to drag away about 80,000 people.

2 minutes ago, Half Man Half Mattress said:

No way Noel would agreee to go below Liam on the bill

if he's on a different day he wouldn't be doing it.

But anyway, Liam has already been trying to wind him up about Glasto, and Noel's response was about wanting to play the opening slot, which amongst other things seemed to be about taking any competition out of things.

I don't think its a big deal, as long as they're not playing the same stage on the same day.

5 minutes ago, H.M.V said:

Haven't hauled my hungover ass for an Other opener yet and won't be doing it for Noely G. 

Oh wait, did The Pretenders open last time? Saw some of their set when we went to see Charli XCX but not on purpose. Chrissy Hines' voice irritates me. 

Her voice has always irritated me too, but I caught some of that set and have to admit to shedding a tear, mainly because somebody close to me liked them.

1 hour ago, TheNoise said:

Is he ? Admittedly I'm not an Oasis fan but I would have put them below Blur and Pulp from the same era let alone all time. Can you compare them to Queen, Rolling Stones, Pink Floyd, Led Zep ?

You don’t have to think they were good but it’s impossible to deny how big they were. They were a full blown cultural phenomenon back in the 90’s.

52 minutes ago, TheNoise said:

I guess I just don't get them. I'd say I need to give them another listen but meh, life's too short. It would be interesting to see if people are still talking about them in forty years though. Unlikely I'll get to find out tbf.

Definitely Maybe came out 24 years ago and its probably 22 years since they were at their absolute peak, 9 years since they split up and people are still talking about them, so I'd stick my neck out and say people will continue to talk about them.  Both the brothers still sell out arenas. Their solo albums have gone platinum and topped the charts. I'm not sure you could say that Oasis were anything other than huge, and will continue to be so.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Divein said:

All this talk of Noel and his birds in that opening slot has got me thinking back to how I've been feeling during past openers and how I might feel on Friday morning next year.

It's making me shudder.

Liam got a huge crowd on the Saturday afternoon last time so can’t imagine Noel could play that slot. Dangerous number of people for a field like that.

I was at the NGHFB gig in Glasgow last year and the majority of the crowd were a good bit younger than me, they looked like the would have been either born around Definitely Maybe or shortly after. That demographic reacted to the Oasis songs with more enthusiasm than the 'we were there in 90s' auld yins like myself (granted their youth probably helped in that regard) could hope to muster. They're still a massive deal, even for folk too young to remember the phenomenon (as Hugh said above) that occurred at the time.

Quarter of a century later their musical short comings are well known and generally agreed upon, it's no stretch to say that Radiohead, Pulp, Blur were all better but despite that Oasis have stood the test of time and, I'd suggest, will continue to.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

I was at the NGHFB gig in Glasgow last year and the majority of the crowd were a good bit younger than me, they looked like the would have been either born around Definitely Maybe or shortly after. That demographic reacted to the Oasis songs with more enthusiasm than the 'we were there in 90s' auld yins like myself (granted their youth probably helped in that regard) could hope to muster. They're still a massive deal, even for folk too young to remember the phenomenon (as Hugh said above) that occurred at the time.

Quarter of a century later their musical short comings are well known and generally agreed upon, it's no stretch to say that Radiohead, Pulp, Blur were all better but despite that Oasis have stood the test of time and, I'd suggest, will continue to.

This is an annoyingly reasonable, well considered and objective post. 

Is this the beginnings of a new sensible Swedge? The thin end of the Swedge if you will. 

Weirdly my 19yo neice wanted Definitely Maybe on vinyl for her recent birthday. Apparently, according to her, there's a bit of a revival of their early stuff going on. I scoffed at that until she pointed out it was 24 years old and was the equivalent of me buying early 70's stuff when I was 19 (2005).

Was a sobering moment of realisation that made me feel very old.