2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

29 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Does anyone think there’s gonna be a bit of a scorn from the GP regarding the lineup this year? I reckon there may be some tickets back in the pot. (I can surely think of a few of my mates that are gonna be a bit dissapointed with the bill this year). 

Yep. People are weird like that.

But hey, here's to hoping that plenty of the 'Glasto is Dead' crowd do not pay their deposits and the 'Resale Club' can swoop in and secure their own tickets instead. 

6 minutes ago, jyoung said:

Yep. People are weird like that.

But hey, here's to hoping that plenty of the 'Glasto is Dead' crowd do not pay their deposits and the 'Resale Club' can swoop in and secure their own tickets instead. 

It's a win/win as far as I am concerned. It removes the fickle fans who don't / won't appreciate Glastonbury for what it is and gives an extra chance for people in the resale.

Personally, I'm not overly enthusiastic about the headliners but then it's very rare for me to catch all 3 pyramid headliners in one year.  That's the beauty of Glastonbury, there's always something different elsewhere. 

6 minutes ago, Kinkyinuit said:

Personally, I'm not overly enthusiastic about the headliners but then it's very rare for me to catch all 3 pyramid headliners in one year.  That's the beauty of Glastonbury, there's always something different elsewhere. 

Yep. Whilst I imagine it would be great to love the three headliners enough to want to see them all, I usually hope for just the one I'd like to see, as I prefer to have the freedom to explore and the opportunity to discover as many different experiences as possible while at the festival. 

11 hours ago, Gnomicide said:

I'm wondering if Emily dropping pretty obvious clues about Stormzy will change how the headliners are announced for next year. 

Personally I think It's a great booking and if the other predictions are right, makes for a good trio. But I've just had a look on the responses to NME's article and a few others on Facebook (I know) and it's wall to wall "That's shite", "Glastonbury is dead", "Why can't it be Fleetwood Mac?".

Do you think perhaps Emily was testing the water to see what the reaction would be? I don't know, maybe she wouldn't care but you can see the stories in the media stating fans go mad etc.

Could this lead them towards announcing a huge chunk of the bill in one fell swoop like they did after the last fallow year? Hit people with all 3 headliners, a Gallagher, a big pop name and the overall reaction would more likely be positive? 

yeah,  you're right Gnommy. It's been more obvious clues than Micheal ever gave but the response on NME, etc has been odd and probably should just be ignored. It does feel like she might be testing the water and releasing a huge chunk would reduce criticism over one act. It's an exciting booking and shows the festival is prepared to take a risk and back an exciting, young UK talent rather than a tired, safe bet. In 5 years time, we'll look back at this as one of those moments when Glastonbury gave a huge platform to a new act, like the Arctic Monkeys in 2007

I'm wondering if Emily dropping pretty obvious clues about Stormzy will change how the headliners are announced for next year. 

Personally I think It's a great booking and if the other predictions are right, makes for a good trio. But I've just had a look on the responses to NME's article and a few others on Facebook (I know) and it's wall to wall "That's shite", "Glastonbury is dead", "Why can't it be Fleetwood Mac?".

Do you think perhaps Emily was testing the water to see what the reaction would be? I don't know, maybe she wouldn't care but you can see the stories in the media stating fans go mad etc.

Could this lead them towards announcing a huge chunk of the bill in one fell swoop like they did after the last fallow year? Hit people with all 3 headliners, a Gallagher, a big pop name and the overall reaction would more likely be positive? 

Hmmm, I'm not so sure Gnommy, you make some good points but it's a tough one. Obviously the criticism that's come her way over the years is bound to have an affect on how they announce acts. Releasing one name at a time does tend to polarise views and cause some grief for her. Dropping a chunk of the line would mean nearly everyone would see something they like and create a bit of harmony. Certainly the headliners so far seem to be striking a balance between safe (Macca) and new (Stormzy) but I'm not sure if that's a symptom of the festival trying to decide what it wants to be over the next few years.

Totally disagree Gnommy. It's a shocking booking and the NME/FB people are bang on. If she's testing the waters then she should have more conviction in her beliefs. Certainly if they drop a huge chuck of the line-up then it shows she has little faith in some of the bookings and is taking the 'bury bad news' approach by hoping a big release will minimize the criticism of some of the bookings. The festival is taking a stupid risk here and should have headliners with a strong back catalogue. The festival will start to lose it's way if it carry's on booking act's like Stormzy who haven't proved themselves yet over the course of several albums. In 5 years time, we'll look back to this booking with a mixture of laughter/horror about how ridiculous it looked, rather like when the Fratellis subbed in 2008  or The Verve headlined.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 8

20 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

No I think it's a good lineup.

Looking back at the last decade, it stands up against the majority of the headliners.  The only act that appears weak is Stormzy but thats more to do with only having one album out (so far) than anything else.   

At least there's no coldplay, Mumford or U2 on there

45 minutes ago, jyoung said:

Yep. Whilst I imagine it would be great to love the three headliners enough to want to see them all, I usually hope for just the one I'd like to see, as I prefer to have the freedom to explore and the opportunity to discover as many different experiences as possible while at the festival. 

Damn right.  

From a purely logistical point of view, not being beholden to a mainstage headliner makes life so much easier, especially if you're wanting to see something in the SEC around 11/midnight.

4 minutes ago, Kinkyinuit said:

Looking back at the last decade, it stands up against the majority of the headliners.  The only act that appears weak is Stormzy but thats more to do with only having one album out (so far) than anything else.   

Weren't the Killers booked as headliners on the back of just one album, albeit another one on the way?  I think Arctic Monkeys might have been the same, in the same year as Killers, 2007. Might be wrong though

7 minutes ago, dingbat2 said:

Weren't the Killers booked as headliners on the back of just one album, albeit another one on the way?  I think Arctic Monkeys might have been the same, in the same year as Killers, 2007. Might be wrong though

Favourite Worst Nightmare came out April 2007, they headlined two months later.

12 minutes ago, dingbat2 said:

3 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Killers had Sams Town out in 2006 as well I’m afraid.

google is your friend..

9 minutes ago, dingbat2 said:

3 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

So pretty much the same situation as Stormzy.  For what it's worth, I think it's great that Emily is giving him this opportunity.  I may not be the biggest Stormzy fan but he is an engaging performer and can see him putting on a damn good show.

2 hours ago, Matt42 said:

Does anyone think there’s gonna be a bit of a scorn from the GP regarding the lineup this year? I reckon there may be some tickets back in the pot. (I can surely think of a few of my mates that are gonna be a bit dissapointed with the bill this year). 

3 (unannounced) headliners do not a festival make.....

Just now, Kinkyinuit said:

So pretty much the same situation as Stormzy.  For what it's worth, I think it's great that Emily is giving him this opportunity.  I may not be the biggest Stormzy fan but he is an engaging performer and can see him putting on a damn good show.

Exactly, this is why I don't understand the "but, but, but... he's only got one album!" brigade.

Festival is eight months away, that's plenty of time for another one to come out.

24 minutes ago, BlueDaze said:

Killers had Sams Town out in 2006 as well I’m afraid.

google is your friend..

Yes, the point I was making was I think both were probably booked as headliners on the strength of just one album, like Stormzy, although the second albums were out before they actually headlined.

Edited by dingbat2

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but Stormzy headlining means that the last 4 festivals following fallow years (5 if you include Ash in 1997) have had a headliner with at most two albums who also played the previous festival. Other than possibly The Killers, they all would have likely booked before they released their second album, Coldplay even headlined before they released their second. 

What could this mean? Probably nothing, but efests does love patterns.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, kingcrawler said:

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but Stormzy headlining means that the last 4 festivals following fallow years (5 if you include Ash in 1997) have had a headliner with at most two albums who also played the previous festival. Other than possibly The Killers, they all would have likely booked before they released their second album, Coldplay even headlined before they released their second. 

What could this mean? Probably nothing, but efests does love patterns.

Sorry kingcrawler but I'm afraid that's already been mentioned.