2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

3 minutes ago, Keithy said:

I'm clinging to The Cure being wrong. Still doesn't feel quite right for me. Stormzy and Macca are looking nailed on.

Don't take it too literally...a couple of blokes doesn't have to mean all headliner based and tbf Stormzy and Macca are a couple of blokes generally speaking and The Cure are more a band.

39 minutes ago, Winslow Leach said:

'Couple of blokes' definitely suggests solo artists as well, which makes Macca seem even more likely.

38 minutes ago, billum said:

Doesn't really apply to The Cure though, so wonder if that's now in doubt?

I am looking at the 'next year' part meaning 2020 as this year is said when talking about Fleetwood Mac

One thought is that is the couple of blokes is for 2020 and as Emily loves Disclosure who have headlined West Holts and Other already and fits in with the bringing on British acts bit. Probably totally wrong but you never know.

Edited by Nobody Interesting

4 hours ago, kalifire said:

I maintain that The Cure are not current enough to warrant a headline slot and I’d still be surprised to hear them announced. That said, I’m also surprised they’re headlining so many festivals next year so there’s obviously a huge following. I just don’t think they resonate with the mainstream to the extent that putting them on the Pyramid on Saturday night following a fallow year feels like a stretch. It’s not like they’re even a contemporary risk like Kanye. 

I don't really agree- much as I like them, were Neil Young or stevie wonder current when they headlined? Was Paul McCartney when he first headlined? Bruce Springsteen? The who? Heck, were even blur or the verve current when they last headlined? 

The cure make sense in the context that the festival have exhausted all the 70s big name type acts and now they've moved on to the 80s. 

Also I think they managed to find a new generation of audience (like the prodigy did a few years ago), though I could be wrong (I'm not hip!) 

1 hour ago, mike46 said:

Was just at the Introducing chat, without saying his name Emily couldn’t have made it clearer Stormzy is headlining Friday. 

All male headliners next year, she’s tried to get females across the festival but said the pyramid is harder as at the moment there just aren’t enough headline acts - reckons that will change in 5 years though.

2020 headliners are being booked now, mentioned they looked into one night being a ‘collaboration’ as loads of artists have held off for 2019 in the hope to play 2020

@mike46 did she actually say all the headliners were male next year?

10 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

I don't really agree- much as I like them, were Neil Young or stevie wonder current when they headlined? Was Paul McCartney when he first headlined? Bruce Springsteen? The who? 

Not necessarily ‘current’, but certainly all genuine legends that had crossover appeal, and always a big draw because of their status. Ditto the Stones. The Cure aren’t really in that league - but are one of the biggest acts of the 80’s alternative scene. What relevance they have in 2019 mystifies me, but then there’s obviously enough fans out there to sell out BST.

6 minutes ago, henry bear said:

Not necessarily ‘current’, but certainly all genuine legends that had crossover appeal, and always a big draw because of their status. Ditto the Stones. The Cure aren’t really in that league - but are one of the biggest acts of the 80’s alternative scene. What relevance they have in 2019 mystifies me, but then there’s obviously enough fans out there to sell out BST.

Does Neil Young have more crossover appeal and status than The Cure? Not from where I'm standing.

Just now, Gucci Piggy said:

Does Neil Young have more crossover appeal and status than The Cure? Not from where I'm standing.

In the UK they’re probably of a similar draw - can sell out things like BST, arena tours and the like. I definitely think NY is the bigger legend though, is a huge influence still on all sorts of acts and is still very creative. I’d be very surprised if he doesn’t leave a much more substantial legacy than The Cure, who are largely known by Joe Public for the hits they had over a 9-10 year period.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Yep probably right about not having more crossover appeal, but 'status' he certainly has more than The Cure.

Starting in the 60s with Buffalo Springfield ("For What It's Worth"), the whole Crosby Stills Nash & Y thing, solo career and his involvement in protests and so on throughout the decades, he is undeniably a very major figure in popular music and culture.

The Cure are a great band, and I love them and would want to see them at the fest, but on a totally arbitrary scale that I've just invented, if The Cure has a status rating of around 47/100, Neil Young must be in the mid 70s by comparison

58 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Couldn't name a single Neil Young song, could pass him in the street and not have a clue. Would know Bob - as long as had his eyeliner on. The Cure I reckon are one of those bands where people of a certain age know more of their tunes than they think. I like them, but have no idea if they appeal to younger generations at all, though my daughter did say we have to dress full on goth if they play :mellow:

That sounds pretty wrapped up then. Looking forward to what surprises we have now. The National and Katy Perry were unexpected and I'm hoping for one or two similar announcements that come out of nowhere. Nice to know they would still go for Kate Bush. The dream lives!

4 minutes ago, slash's hat said:

Couldn't name a single Neil Young song, could pass him in the street and not have a clue. Would know Bob - as long as had his eyeliner on. The Cure I reckon are one of those bands where people of a certain age know more of their tunes than they think. I like them, but have no idea if they appeal to younger generations at all, though my daughter did say we have to dress full on goth if they play :mellow:

Yeah I'm the same with Neil Young. I know Rockin' in the Free World now but I don't think I'd ever heard it before putting it in my Pearl Jam playlist for Mad Cool. I reckon they'd both draw in a similar crowd at the Pyramid but The Cure would have more songs that the crowd know in general.

3 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Yeah I'm the same with Neil Young. I know Rockin' in the Free World now but I don't think I'd ever heard it before putting it in my Pearl Jam playlist for Mad Cool. I reckon they'd both draw in a similar crowd at the Pyramid but The Cure would have more songs that the crowd know in general.

Yes I'm sure that's right, but as Neil's 2009 headline set showed, the man certainly does have a way with crowds and draws surely even those who don't know much of his stuff into his incredible performance aura

If you don't think you know any NY songs (apart from Rockin'), try Heart of Gold, Old Man, After the Gold Rush, Like A Hurricane, For What It's Worth... I'm sure a couple at least will stir a memory of hearing it somewhere and maybe not associating it with the old goat

29 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Seriously? So bizarre. I’d give my right arm to hear Young’s catalogue. I have to force myself quite hard to enjoy 2 or 3 Cure songs. I reckon Young would draw many more to Pyramid.

10 minutes ago, caballosblancos said:

Seriously? So bizarre. I’d give my right arm to hear Young’s catalogue. I have to force myself quite hard to enjoy 2 or 3 Cure songs. I reckon Young would draw many more to Pyramid.

Neil Young's one of those artists I've just never gone back and checked out, which is strange as everyone who likes similar music to me seems to love him.

Before I actively checked out The Cure I knew Close to Me, Friday I'm in Love and Boys Don't Cry from either music TV channels or just hearing them in random places. When I listened to their Greatest Hits album after they were first rumoured for R&L in 2012 I found I recognised a few more of their songs, too.

Maybe with Neil Young I'll recognise some of his songs that I didn't realise I knew, but I certainly didn't knowingly know any Neil Young songs before adding Rockin' in the Free World to my Pearl Jam playlist.

But then maybe to people older than I am (I'm 23, btw) Neil Young is a bigger deal than The Cure are. The Cure seemed to be a huge influence on the current day indie bands when I was a teenager so that's probably why I'd hear their music in places where I'd also hear current music, and why they seem to have a lot of younger fans.

Neil Young's one of those artists I've just never gone back and checked out, which is strange as everyone who likes similar music to me seems to love him.

Before I actively checked out The Cure I knew Close to Me, Friday I'm in Love and Boys Don't Cry from either music TV channels or just hearing them in random places. When I listened to their Greatest Hits album after they were first rumoured for R&L in 2012 I found I recognised a few more of their songs, too.

Maybe with Neil Young I'll recognise some of his songs that I didn't realise I knew, but I certainly didn't knowingly know any Neil Young songs before adding Rockin' in the Free World to my Pearl Jam playlist.

But then maybe to people older than I am (I'm 23, btw) Neil Young is a bigger deal than The Cure are. The Cure seemed to be a huge influence on the current day indie bands when I was a teenager so that's probably why I'd hear their music in places where I'd also hear current music, and why they seem to have a lot of younger fans.

I'm 43, and none of my friends would have a clue about Neil Young either, but grew up with The Cure.

Interesting! Well, put like that. I’m 40 and NY was a major influence on the bands I liked growing up, like Pearl Jam, so always delved into his stuff from that perspective. Then saw him at Reading 95, playing with most of PJ (except Vedder) because of the Mirrorball album. I always wrote off Cure as dull when younger and have only more recently come to enjoy them...