2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

1 hour ago, kalifire said:

I maintain that The Cure are not current enough to warrant a headline slot and I’d still be surprised to hear them announced. That said, I’m also surprised they’re headlining so many festivals next year so there’s obviously a huge following. I just don’t think they resonate with the mainstream to the extent that putting them on the Pyramid on Saturday night following a fallow year feels like a stretch. It’s not like they’re even a contemporary risk like Kanye. 

Yeah I'm quite looking forward to seeing the general reaction to them being announced because I'm guessing it's gonna be a pretty nonplussed and even outraged one from a hell of a lot of people expecting a Coldplay/Beyonce/Sheeran/Adele/Foos mega headliner, especially when paired with Stormzy, who though popular is debatable as a headliner at all at this point and McCartney who isn't exactly one for a lot of the younger generation.

I think the fact that The Cure have just been quietly touring away for ten years without any new material doesn't help things as there hasn't been much to put them in the limelight/media/ears of casual listeners unlike a lot of the other smaller headliners who release an album every few years putting them back in the public eye. Not that a new Cure album is gonna blow the world away, but it'd at least get them a bit of coverage.

Although all that said, their booking could be another move away from the certainty of mega headliners each year that people have come to expect, which would open the door for a lot of acts who aren't quite relevant enough to headline anymore by Glastonbury's usual standards. The list of mega headliners is dwindling away year by year so it's a step they'll have to take sooner or later.

30 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Yeah I'm quite looking forward to seeing the general reaction to them being announced because I'm guessing it's gonna be a pretty nonplussed and even outraged one from a hell of a lot of people expecting a Coldplay/Beyonce/Sheeran/Adele/Foos mega headliner, especially when paired with Stormzy, who though popular is debatable as a headliner at all at this point and McCartney who isn't exactly one for a lot of the younger generation.

I think the fact that The Cure have just been quietly touring away for ten years without any new material doesn't help things as there hasn't been much to put them in the limelight/media/ears of casual listeners unlike a lot of the other smaller headliners who release an album every few years putting them back in the public eye. Not that a new Cure album is gonna blow the world away, but it'd at least get them a bit of coverage.

Although all that said, their booking could be another move away from the certainty of mega headliners each year that people have come to expect, which would open the door for a lot of acts who aren't quite relevant enough to headline anymore by Glastonbury's usual standards. The list of mega headliners is dwindling away year by year so it's a step they'll have to take sooner or later.

I’ve seen their long stream of festival announcements get a lot of coverage though so their name is definitely out there again. Maybe not where people with a completely limited grasp of music may spot them, but I don’t see why Glastonbury should pander to that audience. Plus those people don’t pick up on Glastonbury announcements anyway.

If not the songs, I think most people on site will know the name and I can’t see much outrage on the horizon. Doesn’t strike me as much different from Radiohead if I’m honest.

Kinda feeling like I might try the resale now (providing if I can make the festival)

no mega headliners pulling in all their fan base to try for tickets I reckon the resale might be an easier shout.

i know a lot of people who are going to be very disappointed with Stormzy, The Cure and Paul Mccartney but that’s a good thing. This is what Glasto needs to survive I think...

Was just at the Introducing chat, without saying his name Emily couldn’t have made it clearer Stormzy is headlining Friday. 

All male headliners next year, she’s tried to get females across the festival but said the pyramid is harder as at the moment there just aren’t enough headline acts - reckons that will change in 5 years though.

2020 headliners are being booked now, mentioned they looked into one night being a ‘collaboration’ as loads of artists have held off for 2019 in the hope to play 2020

Looking very likely that it is Stormzy, The Cure and Macca then. I think it's a solid trio and like others have said, it's good to have a year that's not full of megastars. Booking acts like Stormzy is exactly the sort of thing the festival should be doing every so often. I don't think it's any weaker than 2014, if anything it's probably stronger.

43 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

not sure why they wouldn't reveal that now ..

I'm guessing they are waiting for him to announce his new album. If they announced him now they'd get the same reaction that we saw on here with people going "but he's only got one album, he can't headline" etc.