2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

1 hour ago, MetaKate said:

I have a hard time believing we've for all 3 headliners nailed on this early. I think there will be a plot twist. 

I dunno I'm starting to doubt the Stormzy news. I can't see them booking both Gallaghers, and if Gambino actually retires (which I feel like he's been saying for a while now but still) then most of the new info in that newsletter was wrong. Not saying that rulea out Stormzy, but it definitely makes it less credible to me. He's probably my first guess now (combined with his insta post etc.) but I wouldn't say he waa locked in just off of this personally

2 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

I dunno I'm starting to doubt the Stormzy news. I can't see them booking both Gallaghers, and if Gambino actually retires (which I feel like he's been saying for a while now but still) then most of the new info in that newsletter was wrong. Not saying that rulea out Stormzy, but it definitely makes it less credible to me. He's probably my first guess now (combined with his insta post etc.) but I wouldn't say he waa locked in just off of this personally

Let me tell you a story....

There was a band that was up-and-coming, that was an obvious act for Glastonbury to try for. So they did.

Meanwhile said band were announced during Glasto weekend as support for their own musical hero at the biggest show they'd have played to that time, on a different continent. They posted online their excitement about it a few times over several months.

In April that year one of the Glasto bookers told me he was desperate to get them and would be getting them. I told him he didn't have a chance.

They didn't play.

The way the bit about Liam and Childish is written says to me that Childish isn't booked yet (or wasn't at the time of that info) but they're trying to get him. It doesn't mean shit towards whether he'll play or not, it merely says that Glasto wants him.

4 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

There was a band that was up-and-coming, that was an obvious act for Glastonbury to try for. So they did.

Meanwhile said band were announced during Glasto weekend as support for their own musical hero at the biggest show they'd have played to that time, on a different continent. They posted online their excitement about it a few times over several months.

In April that year one of the Glasto bookers told me he was desperate to get them and would be getting them. I told him he didn't have a chance.

They didn't play.

The way the bit about Liam and Childish is written says to me that Childish isn't booked yet (or wasn't at the time of that info) but they're trying to get him. It doesn't mean shit towards whether he'll play or not, it merely says that Glasto wants him.

So who is your subs guess should Liam be Friday which by that info I suggest he will...I also think the fest believe he will.

9 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

They didn't play.

This was a super confusing story, but I got the point. 

I really hope they get him.

16 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

They didn't play.

There is a band,

a certain band,

and to support their heroes you may be sure they'll do all they can!

58 minutes ago, Quark said:

On  amore general note, it just feels too early to have all three headliners pinned down. Sure @eFestivalshas good reason to believe his sources and all the rest, but something just doesn't sit right with me. Dunno.

I already called plot twist Quark. Don't steal my thunder! 

Storm!

Stormzy. 

Storm. 

Xmen ...

SUPER POWERS. 

My super power is sensing plot twists*. 

I'm not sure where I was going there but its 340am in the part of Canada I live.

*Daft punk confirmed

4 hours ago, Keithy said:

I reached peak dumb mum last night. My mum is convinced, absolutely convinced, that Bon Jovi are coming to Torquay to play our 1,500 seater theatre. She saw 'him' on Good Morning Britain advertising 'his' new tour, The Bon Jovi Experience and that 'he' is playing dates all over the UK.

I've tried to let her down gently that it's a tribute act but she's having none of it. Has purchased tickets already.... It's not sold out instantly which I've hinted might be odd for a global rock band playing Torquay...

I love this story! Could be like the placebo effect though - she'll enjoy it just as much as the real thing because she believes it is?

20 hours ago, ourkid1984 said:

The Cure have probably got more popular for their live performances since the last time they played Glastonbury so deserve another go.

Is that the consensus? I saw them twice in about 2008 and really didn't enjoy it - I enjoy their hits but not beyond that and these seemed occasional in their setlist mixed in with slower songs I personally found a bit boring (though I'm sure fans loved). I ended up watching them again in 2013 because others wanted to and enjoyed it a bit more. Not so much I would see them as a Glastonbury headliner though, unless they've become a bit more festival friendly..?

1 hour ago, DJL said:

Is that the consensus? I saw them twice in about 2008 and really didn't enjoy it - I enjoy their hits but not beyond that and these seemed occasional in their setlist mixed in with slower songs I personally found a bit boring (though I'm sure fans loved). I ended up watching them again in 2013 because others wanted to and enjoyed it a bit more. Not so much I would see them as a Glastonbury headliner though, unless they've become a bit more festival friendly..?

I'm not really sure to be honest. My comment is based on how many festivals and large concerts they do and when it comes to concerts how often they sell out. I went to a new bands gig the other week, one band were teenagers and all of them loved the Cure. I kind of see them as like bands of the late 70's that my dad loved that I and all my friends then went onto love. Every 10 years or so a wave of older bands get a boost in popularity and I suppose it's the cures time.

3 hours ago, DJL said:

To be fair, they headlined R+L in 2012 so I don't really see why The Cure would need to be more festival friendly to headline Glastonbury?

9 hours ago, beau1 said:

To be fair, they headlined R+L in 2012 so I don't really see why The Cure would need to be more festival friendly to headline Glastonbury?

I'm not saying they need to be more festival friendly to headline Glastonbury, just for me to be more likely to enjoy them. It's not a criticism of them - the first half of Radiohead's set last year was arguably not particularly accessible to a casual fan I just happen to really like Radiohead. If The Cure were to play an equivalent set (which they are perfectly entitled to do) I'd probably not be fussed on the first half. I'm open to seeing them but lots of other stages to go to etc. etc.

I maintain that The Cure are not current enough to warrant a headline slot and I’d still be surprised to hear them announced. That said, I’m also surprised they’re headlining so many festivals next year so there’s obviously a huge following. I just don’t think they resonate with the mainstream to the extent that putting them on the Pyramid on Saturday night following a fallow year feels like a stretch. It’s not like they’re even a contemporary risk like Kanye. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2