2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

Aint been able to get into Stormzy or Kendrick Lamar or a lot of the modern hip hop adaptions to music tbh despite liking a lot of the older hip hop stuff (could be an age thing).

Tried getting into them and nothing jumps out at me though, just one of those things. I'd be quite happy for him to headline though, I feel like festivals should take a risk on newer acts breaking the top slot. Some will work, some won't but its good for new artists to get that chance to break through as a bona fide mainstream artist at the peaks of their career (possibly). 

For me personally, there's loads of other stages and I'll find something that I like but I did rewatch his 2017 set on catch up when I got home last year and it seemed like he put on a good show and people really enjoyed it. That's all good by me. 

43 minutes ago, chatty said:

Aint been able to get into Stormzy or Kendrick Lamar or a lot of the modern hip hop adaptions to music tbh despite liking a lot of the older hip hop stuff (could be an age thing).

Tried getting into them and nothing jumps out at me though, just one of those things. I'd be quite happy for him to headline though, I feel like festivals should take a risk on newer acts breaking the top slot. Some will work, some won't but its good for new artists to get that chance to break through as a bona fide mainstream artist at the peaks of their career (possibly). 

For me personally, there's loads of other stages and I'll find something that I like but I did rewatch his 2017 set on catch up when I got home last year and it seemed like he put on a good show and people really enjoyed it. That's all good by me. 

Sums up exactly how I feel too.

I only know of Stormzy because of glasto/ travelling to the UK. I got a sense of how big/popular he was by spending only 2.5 weeks total in the UK over the last 3 yearz. If I mentioned him to anyone I know im Canada, they would have never heard the name.  I could see someone having no idea who he was if they were travelling over from north america and had never been to the UK. 

7 hours ago, Mash011 said:

Utter fucking twats pretending to have never heard of Stormzy. I don't believe that for a second. 

Outside the UK it makes perfect sense.

I assume you've got a full working knowledge of the current biggest artists in Mali? Or Brazil? Pull your head out of your arse.

• Upvote 7

7 hours ago, slash's hat said:

I'm a 43 year old mum and know who Stormzy is and what type of music he does, couldn't actually name anything. I don't listen to adele but have no aversion to her music, just not my cuppa. I have no idea what or who a childish gambino is though, that has passed me by completely. 

Yes Childish Gambino has totally passed me by too, and I’m wondering why as he seems really popular. A lot are pleased about him potentially playing. Will take a listen...

8 hours ago, Gucci Piggy said:

How tf has a 26 year old on a music/Glastonbury forum not heard of Stormzy? He subbed the Other Stage last year, two slots higher than Liam Gallagher. He won the BRIT awards for Male Solo Artist and Album of the Year this year, ahead of Ed Sheeran, Liam Gallagher, Rag'n'Bone Man and Dua Lipa.

My dad probably knows who Stormzy is and all he likes is Meatloaf, Elton John and Queen.

Edit: Just seen you weren't born or raised in the UK. Fair enough. But how big he is worldwide doesn't matter; he's massive in the UK right now.

Yeah, but still I have been living in London 2 years now and I havent heard of him. I do follow English music quite a bit and I have plenty of english friends, gone to a few festivals here etc I really don't know how have I missed him if he is really that big. 

BTW, my mum does know who Adele, Ed Sheeran or Gallagher are... I am just saying Stormzy is clearly not in that league. 

Edited by yosoyyoberdi

1 hour ago, kalifire said:

I can see:

Stormzy / Gaga or Swift / Macca

That feels right to me. Stormzy is the breakthrough elevation to headliner, Saturday night we get the superstar act, Macca is legendary and pleases the locals. 

Agreed, this seems most likely to me

32 minutes ago, Phoenix Girl said:

Yes Childish Gambino has totally passed me by too, and I’m wondering why as he seems really popular. A lot are pleased about him potentially playing. Will take a listen...

'This is America'. 

Just typing this its now stuck in my head and Im groovin. 

Saw him in '14 at Osheaga  and loved him since. 

7 hours ago, slash's hat said:

I'm a 43 year old mum and know who Stormzy is and what type of music he does, couldn't actually name anything. I don't listen to adele but have no aversion to her music, just not my cuppa. I have no idea what or who a childish gambino is though, that has passed me by completely. 

im a 59 year old dad and can understand why Stormzy would not be so well known outside of the UK would that not be the case for all grime.? I was aware of him because of that annoying 'Big for your boots' number being all over the place and had ignored him on the strength of it.. However, i gave him a listen when he started getting touted on here as potential headliner and have been pleasantly surprised. He clearly doesnt have enough of a body of work to headline as is and so it is a bit of a punt that he will produce enough of similar quality before June. 'Blinded by your grace' could be pretty epic with an emthusiastic Pyramid crowd though and his potential headlining certainly pleased my daughter and her BF, who otherwise are looking at avoiding old farts on the main stage..

So, i see that Childish Gambino is Danny Glovers boy, the one off the telly.? He had totally passed me by and a quick tour of youtube makes it look all a bit formulaic style over substance...

Its a broad church though and room for most everyone... Putting Stormzy up top would be a great boost for British music though imho. I may even go watch him. 

5 minutes ago, BlueDaze said:

So, i see that Childish Gambino is Danny Glovers boy, the one off the telly.? He had totally passed me by and a quick tour of youtube makes it look all a bit formulaic style over substance...

I wouldn't grant Danny playing, he's retiring after Coachella. Apparently he's getting too old for this shit.....

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, BlueDaze said:

I think you're joking, but if so, I've just bitten...

Childish Gambino is the musical stage name of the actor/comedian Donald Glover, from TV series Atlanta and Community and recently co+starred in the Han Solo film. No relation to Danny Glover from the Lethal Weapon films.

4 minutes ago, Mouseboy11 said:

Childish Gambino is not related to Danny Glover lol.

I like Childish Gambino and enjoy his music, really like Atlanta as well. There's something that puts me off him as a person though, get the impression he buys his own hype. Whatever, I'd still go watch him if he was booked.

I really like him as a person... i think the opposite. He seems humble about his success but knows hes got talent and something to say.

2 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Childish Gambino is the musical stage name of the actor/comedian Donald Glover, from TV series Atlanta and Community and recently co+starred in the Han Solo film. No relation to Danny Glover from the Lethal Weapon films.

This is hugely disappointing news. That could have been an amazing fact.

2 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I think you're joking, but if so, I've just bitten...

What a crossed wires booking that would be.  An expectant crowd waits as Danny Glover stumbles blinking onto the stage, approaches the mic, says "I'm getting too old for this shit" and promptly wanders off again.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1