2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

16 minutes ago, slash's hat said:

I don't know about that, a fair few on here have said they regretted seeing the football instead of slash - mind you that could've been to do with the game...I wasn't there that year. And following on from the g'n'r comeback he'd attract an audience.

agreed, I wish I did but you were missing about 5/6 GNR songs,now you would get two and neither are the big singalongs.

9 minutes ago, henry bear said:

Yes, can’t believe both Gallaghers would play prominent slots on the Pyramid

Like most I can't see him playing below Liam but if he's said about opening it on Other then he knows that's below where Liam did anyway and he'd know Liam after this year would get offered a big slot. It would certainly be a tick off for him, let him play a long enough set to include all he wanted to and enjoy the rest of the fest. Liam and Noel subbing I don't see it and Liam wouldn't be my choice instead of him to sub Macca...as has been said he's not been the one that see's him as his idol...that's Noel, Liam was always more for Lennon obviously.

As I posted on here last month... 

People talk about relevence a lot on here and I think he'll be (probably) one of the most relevant headliners in recent times. A young black man from London, pushing boundaries in the music industry. He's engaged a generation of people, won over almost everyone who's watched him and he's someone with values that a lot of people can relate to and believe in. He's got a powerful voice and he's definitely using it. IMO, you won't see many new headliners take that opportunity in the same way I think he would. He's hungry for it.

28 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Logistical nightmare though. I've seen The Cribs pack that field out at lunchtime.

Aye I can appreciate that, but surely it'd be no worse than people trying to cram into the JP last year for The Killers? Is Noel Gallagher these days that much of a bigger draw than Beady Eye/Kaisers were when they did it?

Could also just do it on the Pyramid instead if he specifically did wanna play at that time.

Anyway, from comments they've both made recently I don't think either of them would actually care about playing the same festival, but it would seem a bit weird to have two of the subs being Gallagher brothers.

Mentioned in another thread but the way the comment read about Noel playing ‘next year’ could have been referring to 2020. Liam, Stormzy and CB weren’t referred to in the same manner.

I would be surprised to see Noel and Liam on the same lineup.

Edited by Badlands

2 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Aye I can appreciate that, but surely it'd be no worse than people trying to cram into the JP last year for The Killers? Is Noel Gallagher these days that much of a bigger draw than Beady Eye/Kaisers were when they did it?

Could also just do it on the Pyramid instead if he specifically did wanna play at that time.

Anyway, from comments they've both made recently I don't think either of them would actually care about playing the same festival, but it would seem a bit weird to have two of the subs being Gallagher brothers.

Of course he is. And they closed off the area around the tent for The Killers so that's kinda moot - they're not gonna close off the area around the Other Stage. He was probably joking, to some degree, about getting it out of the way by playing Friday morning - he also said he'd never play Sunday but I bet he would. And that he'd play fifth down, which I bet he wouldn't.

1 minute ago, jparx said:

Yeah hold on a sec I'll go ask my mum her favourite Stormzy song. She's always blasting him in-between Adele records.

Are you being sarcastic? Because he is actually massively mainstream to the point where your mum might actually listen to him.

Edited by dentalplan

8 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Of course he is. And they closed off the area around the tent for The Killers so that's kinda moot - they're not gonna close off the area around the Other Stage. He was probably joking, to some degree, about getting it out of the way by playing Friday morning - he also said he'd never play Sunday but I bet he would. And that he'd play fifth down, which I bet he wouldn't.

By that I meant he'd probably only play one or two slots higher than they would in the years they did it. If I had to place Noel Gallagher now he seems like a third down act to me, based on the slots he plays elsewhere (but I could see him subbing, too). If Beady Eye/Kaisers played the Pyramid in 2013/14 they'd surely have been like 4th/5th down? His last festival run was headlining shit like YNOT alongside Madness, weren't it?

Of course he'd draw more people than they did, but to a dangerous degree? Especially if it's a secret set which is what I was thinking it'd be if it happened.

But yeah I'm not gonna be predicting it to happen or owt, just throwing it out there.

8 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Are you being sarcastic? Because he is actually massively mainstream to the point where your mum might actually listen to him.

She hasn't heard of him.

He's not mainstram in the same manner as Adele, Coldplay and Ed, which is what I was referring to with my initial comment.

IF and it's a big IF the headliners are Stormzy, The Cure and McCartney then I think that's pretty decent. 

I've seen on here loads of times people asking for a risky headliner and also to give a younger act a step up so Stormzy covers that.

The Cure have probably got more popular for their live performances since the last time they played Glastonbury so deserve another go.

And well how many more times are we going to get to see the living legend Paul McCartney live.

1 hour ago, Gucci Piggy said:

What on earth is Stormzy if not a contemporary mainstream act lol?

Quite. If @jparx had said "too many oldies", or "lacking many contemporary mainstream acts", then he might have been onto something, but Stormzy would be the most contemporary headliner since the Arctic Monkeys in 2007, and before that maybe Coldplay in 2002, then you're back in Oasis/Pulp territory. It's not often they stick their neck out like this and good on them!

Unless he was after some massive current chart act, like Ed Sheeran or Adele?

Edited by stuartbert two hats

12 minutes ago, yosoyyoberdi said:

Stormzy is not a massive contemporary mainstream act, maybe big in the UK. I'm 26 and I've never heard of him before, no need to ask my mum. 

How tf has a 26 year old on a music/Glastonbury forum not heard of Stormzy? He subbed the Other Stage last year, two slots higher than Liam Gallagher. He won the BRIT awards for Male Solo Artist and Album of the Year this year, ahead of Ed Sheeran, Liam Gallagher, Rag'n'Bone Man and Dua Lipa.

My dad probably knows who Stormzy is and all he likes is Meatloaf, Elton John and Queen.

Edit: Just seen you weren't born or raised in the UK. Fair enough. But how big he is worldwide doesn't matter; he's massive in the UK right now.

Edited by Gucci Piggy