2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

16 minutes ago, jparx said:

I thought GnR weren't active next year? Slash is doing his solo stuff again. Unless they've been booked as a one off...or it's actually Axl/DC?

I was just a thought really re GnR, I couldn't think of any other old school bands that were still playing that might fit the description.

13 minutes ago, kingbadger said:

One of our crew said they heard the Spice Girls interview on Radio 2 earlier. Apparently they were talking constantly about an 'extra show' they couldn't specifically name, which they had been offered and that their tour built from that. My mate seemed to conclude they were intimating about Glastonbury, did anyone catch the interview? Can't see it mentioned on here, I'm not sure I believe the festival would have outright sought them to headline but stranger things have happened.

On an article on the BBC Homepage, Mel C said there were no plans https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-46124057

14 minutes ago, kingbadger said:

One of our crew said they heard the Spice Girls interview on Radio 2 earlier. Apparently they were talking constantly about an 'extra show' they couldn't specifically name, which they had been offered and that their tour built from that. My mate seemed to conclude they were intimating about Glastonbury, did anyone catch the interview? Can't see it mentioned on here, I'm not sure I believe the festival would have outright sought them to headline but stranger things have happened.

BST?

Although if they're already doing Wembley what would be the point?

15 minutes ago, kingbadger said:

Could be BBC Big Weekend which will be about a week before their tour starts.

1 hour ago, Phoenix Girl said:

Cant fine the October NME interview where she mentions it. 

https://www.nme.com/news/lady-gaga-glastonbury-tour-rumours-1769990

I don't believe she was booked for G19 in 2016 but I think she was on the list of possibles for G17 and then the film knocked any plans on the head. Certainly not beyond the realms of possibility that they pencilled her in for the next one. I'd be amazed if they've not

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Mr.Tease said:

I seem to remember eavis saying a few years ago in an interview that they'd never done a good set at Glastonbury (might of been in the free paper at the festival). I think we all took that as they'd never play again, so it's a surprise they might be a headliner, and a bit of a coup for them

I don't think Michael's musical preferences/opinions are all that relevant to what gets booked in this day and age....

22 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

I dunno why this is always what people say with pop acts. The last Foo Fighters album didn't spawn any hits either but they were still booked to headline.

Maybe not over here but the foo fighters latest was a popular album in the US. Pop fans tend to be a bit more fickle when what is perceived as a bad album is released, and may not return to that artist. Sure there are hard-core fans out there -I still like Madonnas output (generally) and liked her from the start. However pop music is arguably designed to appeal to a wide audience and people casually pick up one or two songs rather than be a fan as such. I think with rock music, fans tend to stick with them a bit more. Only my opinion mind, not saying gospel.

1 hour ago, Little Andy said:

If Gaga is booked, are we sure she'd headline? Prior to this recent film, had she lost a bit of relevance to be booked as a headliner?

I still say she'll sub

4 minutes ago, priest17 said:

Interview on twitter with Spice Girls said they had no plans but thought it would be quite nice to do. Not sure they'd be demanding a headliner slot if they played, not sure their management would let them play any lower.

I think we'll have a little idea after their tour dates sell out. I think they could get booked as a special guest.

2 minutes ago, priest17 said:

Interview on twitter with Spice Girls said they had no plans but thought it would be quite nice to do. Not sure they'd be demanding a headliner slot if they played, not sure their management would let them play any lower.

With the exception of Macca (or maybe Fleetwood Mac), the Spice Girls would draw a bigger headline crowd than anyone else in the conversation IMO*

*again, not an endorsement

I'd watch The Spice Girls too, wherever in the line up they played (clashes aside). I think it would be quite a Glastonbury moment and definitely something a bit different.

4 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

I still say she'll sub

That's not gonna happen. She's hit number 1 in both the album and single charts this month, is a global star and has a huge back catalogue. By all accounts she puts on a great live show too. There's no way she is playing a lesser slot than The Cure.

Just now, kingbadger said:

That's not gonna happen. She's hit number 1 in both the album and single charts this month, is a global star and has a huge back catalogue. By all accounts she puts on a great live show too. There's no way she is playing a lesser slot than The Cure.

100% this.  It's not like your night ends once the Pyramid headliner is finished either.  And hour and a half bopping to Gaga on the Saturday night and then off into the wild sounds decent to me

3 hours ago, Johnnyseven said:

A guy I know who lives down Somerset way went to a do recently at one of the posh hotels near the festival site. He said he got talking to the owner who said that he had taken a booking for the festival weekend from a headliner band but was a bit worried as the band who made the booking had a bit of a reputation back in the day for trashing hotels. Made me wonder if it could be GnR.

Off the top of my head I'd say this is most likely to be Liam Gallagher. Probably will be one of the biggest names on the poster, and has a bit of a reputation from back in the day. Don't see him headlining though...