2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

10 minutes ago, jparx said:

I didn't say they were begging to play.

If the Eavii approached them to play then I do think The Cure would have been pleasantly surprised to be offered such a huge gig and not be picky about when they play.

Why would they be pleasantly surprised? They’ve done it three times, they’ve just played the biggest UK gig of their career (afaik), they’ve headlined UK major festivals three times quite recently, sell massive amounts of tickets worldwide.

The idea its a coup for them is one I find very strange.

3 minutes ago, thesecretingredientiscrime said:

Why would they be pleasantly surprised? They’ve done it three times, they’ve just played the biggest UK gig of their career (afaik), they’ve headlined UK major festivals three times quite recently, sell massive amounts of tickets worldwide.

not a coup, but it's a festival they'd recently said they'd like to play, while also commenting they'd not had the best relationship with Glasto so didn't seem to think it would happen.

So they might have been pleasantly surprised to get a call.

14 minutes ago, thesecretingredientiscrime said:

Okay I take back the "coup" comment.

I still don't think they would be turning down Glastonbury if they were offered Saturday and wanted to do Sunday though. Playing Glastonbury will offer them more than any other UK festival in terms of exposure (assuming they aren't awful) and they won't be walking away from negotiations if they are offered Saturday and not Sunday.

Edited by jparx

I've heard from someone who works in the biz that The Cure is Sunday. Classic someone that knows someone spiel mind so I don't necessarily believe it.

Also said they heard one of the headliners is Polydor but doesn't know who. Could be Gaga or 1975 of its to be believed.

Edited by mf_2005

11 minutes ago, RarerThanDandyB said:

Answer may be obvious but why have Slipknot never played Glastonbury (least I don't think they have), they are massive and a set on the Pyramid would be mad.

I think they're massive within their own kinda niche market.  I don't know any Slipknot fans who aren't massive metalheads. Does a 'casual' Slipknot fan exist?

1 hour ago, dentalplan said:

Even if this luxury aircraft is in fact a shitbox, he still has 48 hours in the UK before showtime.

Then you have The Cure, in their sixties themselves, finishing a few-hour set in Belgium less than 24 hours before showtime and they can fit all their rest into that - despite them deliberately spacing all their other festival dates out?

agreed.

McCartney on Saturday with a few days rest, and The Cure on Sunday with a day's rest is far more likely IMO.

48hrs is more than enough time doing nothing. he's doing back-to-back nights in Vienna in a few weeks, so the idea that 60-odd hours won't be enough for him to recover to play Saturday night is ludicrous.

2 minutes ago, Username taken said:

I think they're massive within their own kinda niche market.  I don't know any Slipknot fans who aren't massive metalheads. Does a 'casual' Slipknot fan exist?

Me! But I'm well aware I'm odd ?

Their Download set in 2009 is still one of the best I've seen. Any live set that kicks off with (sic) is gonna go off.

20 minutes ago, mf_2005 said:

I've heard from someone who works in the biz that The Cure is Sunday. Classic someone that knows someone spiel mind so I don't necessarily believe it.

Also said they heard one of the headliners is Polydor but doesn't know who. Could be Gaga or 1975 of its to be believed.

If there's any truth to that, it has to be 1 of those 2.. having had a brief look over the artists on their website

33 minutes ago, RarerThanDandyB said:

Answer may be obvious but why have Slipknot never played Glastonbury (least I don't think they have), they are massive and a set on the Pyramid would be mad.

They are massive. Among metal fans. Hence how they could and do headline Download. They'd get an awful lot of bemused looks on the Pyramid stage.

Regards Polydor - these are the only ones on their site who could headline. The 1975 seem the most likely of that lot.

Eminem

Guns N Roses

Kendrick Lamar

Lady Gaga

Madonna

The 1975

The Rolling Stones

5 hours ago, Keithy said:

October 2016. She was attached to the film in Aug 2016 but filming didn’t start until April 2017. So it’s possible she was talking about filming at Glastonbury in 2017 but I don’t see why she couldn’t talk about a 2 minute filming segment 9 months beforehand. It wasn’t exactly a top secret surprise film or anything.

My logic (based on straw clutching) is that they were trying to book her for 2017 when she had Joanne out but as she got attached to the film and they were shooting through 2017, that was a non starter and she got pencilled in for 2019 to coincide with her new album that she’s working on and slated for release in 2019

I find it hard to believe they were after Gaga and then ended up with Radiohead, Foos and Sheeran - all of whom would have been preferable bookings to Lady Gaga.

33 minutes ago, mf_2005 said:

Screenshot_20181107-132604_Chrome.jpg

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, battleborn said:

They are massive. Among metal fans. Hence how they could and do headline Download. They'd get an awful lot of bemused looks on the Pyramid stage.

Regards Polydor - these are the only ones on their site who could headline. The 1975 seem the most likely of that lot.

Eminem

Guns N Roses

Kendrick Lamar

Lady Gaga

Madonna

The 1975

The Rolling Stones

The 1975 are headlining Reading and Leeds. And they haven't been booked for Glastonbury according to their manager.

Maroon 5 and Clapton are more likely than them.

In two months time when Michael Eavis, Emily Eavis, Glastonbury's official Twitter page, Matty Healy, The 1975's official website, Neil, Mike99, festivalsaregood and that guy who posts Rock Werchter clues on Festileaks have all announced that The 1975 are not booked for Glasto, there'll still be people on here saying they're the most likely headliner.