2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

For reference, Avalon stage is about 1500-2000 capacity Busted crowd was 5000 tops (and hard to gauge when Avalon is a naturally busy field for hanging out in anyway). Stick that crowd on a main stage and it'd look embarrassing. Killers was a 'massive crowd' or a stupidly large crowd.

4 minutes ago, Phoenix Girl said:

?️♀️

Come on @Little Andy, on the list 

Edit: speak of the devil...! Typed that before you posted. 

3rd headliner inklings, in order of likelihood 

1. Taylor Swift : Some random music promoter guy with no reason to trust him says it's her. And eFestivals guesses it could be a non-UK act.

2. Lady Gaga eFestivals guesses it could be a non-UK act, and she is touring.

3.  Kendrick Lamar eFestivals guesses it could be a non-UK act, but he is not touring.

4. The 1975 : Apparently have been offered to play the festival. But to headline? And instead of Leeds and Reading? But eFestivals guesses it could be a non-UK act.

5. Stormzy : Tweeted about Glastonbury, but only has 1 album. And eFestivals guesses it could be a non-UK act.

6. Spice Girls : Because Phoenix Girl is delusional.;)

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

No but the argument that Macca is still relevant with regards to his headliner status is pretty weak. Out of his 30+ song set list how many do we think will have been released in the last decade?

I don’t particularly like the Spice Girls, but they were a cultural behemoth in their time and these shows next year will be the biggest story of next year. I’d be shocked if the Eavii hadn’t considered them at the very least.

I think nostalgia is to do with whether the people in attendance still listen to their music. If nobody had listened to The Beatles, Paul McCartney, Wings or The Cure in forever then they’d rightly be considered a nostalgia act. But loads of people do; people who go to the fest.

4 minutes ago, jyoung said:

Genuinely tho, why don't they?

Because when you go that big on the naffness, it sorta flips the whole thing on its head. If it was someone like East 17 playing a smaller stage then it seems about right - when it’s someone like Take That or Spice Girls taking break from headlining stadia to headline the chuffing Pyramid, that kinda becomes what the festival is about. Don’t get why peeps can’t just accept the festival as it is and keep seeing the Spice Girls with your old friends from school separate from it.

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, Keithy said:

I'm probably being very elitist but it's starting to bother me that there's an increasingly common opinion that because an act is big selling and may draw a big crowd, then that equates to them being a reasonable option to appear on a main stage at Glastonbury. Yes I know it's called 'Glastonbury Festival of Contemporary Performing Arts' but come on, we've got to have some degree of credibility when it comes to the main stages with regards to modern musical trends and influences.

The Spice Girls were just a flippin' pop band. Granted, a very commercially successful one between '96 and '98 with a very good PR team who absolutely nailed the tween/teen market to the extent they can milk that when the fan base hits mid 20's (2007/8 reunion) and mid 30's (2018 reunion) for the nostalgia reunions.

There's also an authenticity issue here - are they even the Spice Girls without Victoria in the ranks. 

There's been discussion about whether Queen count as Queen with Adam Lambert doing vocals, and the whole New Order debacle - this would just be another example of a band name becoming a brand, regardless of the membership. 

Ahem. 

11 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

There’d be barely an eyebrow raised if a reformed All Saints popped up somewhere on the bill. Same basic act, different image.

To paraphrase an old saying, I may not like the Spice Girls, but I’ll defend their right to play Glastonbury.

Honestly don't get why it's being suggested that they've got no place at Glasto. Delusional. 

12 minutes ago, Keithy said:

For reference, Avalon stage is about 1500-2000 capacity Busted crowd was 5000 tops (and hard to gauge when Avalon is a naturally busy field for hanging out in anyway). Stick that crowd on a main stage and it'd look embarrassing. Killers was a 'massive crowd' or a stupidly large crowd.

You really think that because there was say 5000 people there, that's how many people would be there if they played one of the Main Stages? Come on. That's insane. Some people don't even look at what's on the smaller stages let alone move from the mains all weekend. You stick them on the Pyramid in the afternoon there's gonna be more people going to watch them than there was at Avalon.

1 minute ago, dentalplan said:

Because when you go that big on the naffness, it sorta flips the whole thing on its head. If it was someone like East 17 playing a smaller stage then it seems about right - when it’s someone like Take That or Spice Girls taking break from headlining stadia to headline the chuffing Pyramid, that kinda becomes what the festival is about. Don’t get why peeps can’t just accept the festival as it is and keep seeing the Spice Girls with your old friends from school separate from it.

I'm struggling to find any real reasoning here as to why they couldn't or shouldn't play other than the fact you really don't want them to? I understand preference and that's something everyone is totally entitled to. I'm not remotely bothered about seeing them but to walk around saying they've got no right to be there or shouldn't be there makes no sense.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, jyoung said:

I'm struggling to find any real reasoning here as to why they couldn't or shouldn't play other than the fact you really don't want them to? I understand preference and that's something everyone is totally entitled to. I'm not remotely bothered about seeing them but to walk around saying they've got no right to be there or shouldn't be there makes no sense.

The festival hasn’t booked any of those acts before so it clearly goes beyond my preference.

Dunno if the Eavii would consider this but it would be a bit odd to book them without the full cast imo. In saying that I tuink Queen + AL would be fine so maybe i'm just being biased and hypocritical.

And a bit of cheese on a lineup will always do solidly. All Saints/Boyzone/Busted etc. Would all do alright imo because they aren't headliners, just a bit of a singalong in the sun between acts you actually wanna see. However as a headliner, nahhhhh.

1 minute ago, dentalplan said:

The festival hasn’t booked any of those acts before so it clearly goes beyond my preference.

The festival never really had a female headliner until a few years ago but luckily they bucked that trend.

Edited by jyoung

15 minutes ago, jyoung said:

The festival never really had a female headliner until a few years ago but luckily they bucked that trend.

What? Yes it did. 

14 minutes ago, Mash011 said:

Well sure but the majority of people who turned up couldn't get in to see the band so it's just a bit of a daft booking.

Happens at all fests that.

Edited by dentalplan

5 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

You've got cats on here saying literally any fucker should be welcome at Glastonbury even the Spice Girls, then you've got Lonsdale saying get Kanye cancelled and replace him with rock band, and I fear the centre cannot hold.

Anyone should be welcome. It’s not an exclusive club. 

I’m sure there’s not a chance in hell of the Spice Girls really headlining, but it’s just funny to see people get all uppity about it.