2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

24 minutes ago, Winslow Leach said:

But we'll have had twice the length of time since the last festival. The 2015 thread truly was our 'Nam.

Sometimes I have nightmares that the last 3 years of my life were a dream I'm waking up from, it's really still 2015 and we don't know the third headliner.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Winslow Leach said:

But we'll have had twice the length of time since the last festival. The 2015 thread truly was our 'Nam.

Everything just fell together to create a perfect storm:

• Kanye's booking and the subsequent reaction.
  • Sprinty Dave pulling out and the clamour to replace him
  • THE THIRD HEADLINER!!

It was a like we shall never see again... until the 2020 headliner thread when people start banging on about Led Zeppelin reunions.

You've also got The Beach Boys situation:

The songwriter is touring under his own name with a full band and the original member with the best voice currently (Al Jardine somehow sounds almost the same as he ever did).

Whilst "The Beach Boys" also has two members from the 60s band, one of which was the actual lead singer, but a complete knobhead and sounds like shit these days and the other joined around the time of California Girls and wrote "Disney Girls".  

I suspect everyone who considers buying a ticket to see Brian Wilson or The Beach Boys knows this already, but I wonder how many would realise the difference in quality and (for want of a better word) - authenticity* between the two acts.  The more recognisable name is far inferior, albeit still a fun act to watch.

* I use the term authenticity to describe the strength of the link between the performers on stage and the creators of the music.  I know it's a somewhat overloaded and controversial term!

10 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Whilst "The Beach Boys" also has two members from the 60s band, one of which was the actual lead singer, but a complete knobhead and sounds like shit these days and the other joined around the time of California Girls and wrote "Disney Girls".  

hang on are you saying that disparagingly? I hope not! 

Don't think I'd pay to see The Beach Boys on account of Mike Love being a knobhead. Would happily see Brian Wilson again though, his Primavera Sound set a few years back was one to remember. 

9 minutes ago, rhg_99 said:

hang on are you saying that disparagingly? I hope not! 

Don't think I'd pay to see The Beach Boys on account of Mike Love being a knobhead. Would happily see Brian Wilson again though, his Primavera Sound set a few years back was one to remember. 

Only a little bit disparagingly. It's Bruce's greatest contribution to the band and as nice a song as it is, it's nowhere near as good as even 'Til I Die or Surf's Up, which are the two Brian Wilson songs on the same album, never mind the rest of the great work he was responsible for.

On Mike's band - they still put on a decent show, worth going along if they play a festival.

2 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Only a little bit disparagingly. It's Bruce's greatest contribution to the band and as nice a song as it is, it's nowhere near as good as even 'Til I Die or Surf's Up, which are the two Brian Wilson songs on the same album, never mind the rest of the great work he was responsible for.

On Mike's band - they still put on a decent show, worth going along if they play a festival.

got to agree with you on that one, Surf's Up was the song that got me into the Beach Boys and 'Til I Die has some of the best vocal harmonies I've ever heard, possibly my favourite on any Beach Boys song. 

I'll keep that in mind!

34 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

• THE THIRD HEADLINER!!

It was a like we shall never see again... until the 2020 headliner thread when people start banging on about Led Zeppelin reunions.

T'was the best thread ever. 

BTW, @eFestivals, not sure if you're aware that us lowly non-golds are getting sight of who's been sprinkling the upvotes and downvotes recently.

Disney Girls is great! I'd go see MLs band if they played, despite his politics. Kanye being Kanye hasn't put me off the thought of seeing him.

21 minutes ago, henry bear said:

There are now two versions of Yes doing the rounds too.

Re: the Beach Boys, I’ve seen both and far preferred Brian Wilson’s band. Yes, he’s fragile but his band recreate the music to perfection.

The Sugababes scenario nearly started a black hole. 

44 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

• THE THIRD HEADLINER!!

One of these days that thread will be printed and sold as a series of thick hardback novels.

42 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Didn't Bucks Fizz have two groups touring at the same time once, with the act who won the name in court not containing any of the original members?

Two weeks ago I had to sit through one of these acts at an awards do 'The Fizz'. I managed one song and sprinted for the cloakroom. They came on to a montage of news clippings and portentious music. 

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

worse than that is the UB40 situation.

When Ian McCulloch left the Bunnymen (87/88?) they carried on with a guy called Noel Burke on singing duties. They were actually very good, released an album and did a bit of touring, starting at the bottom - I saw them at Bootle Community Centre, supported by KLF..... - and should have got a bit more credit. Problem was Mac constantly slating  them in the media. (“It’s like Freddie and the Dreamers, without Freddie.”). Had they changed their name they might have done something.