2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

12 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Because they're a good tribute act?

I couldn't bring myself to go see them without Freddie, it's just not Queen. After seeing Bohemian Rhapsody as well last week it's cemented this thought for me. Adam Lambert may well be amazing but you can't just replace Freddie and sing the songs he used to smash out of the park without sounding like a glorified tribute act or Karaoke band. 

• Upvote 1

At various times in my life I’ve agonised and pontificated over Queen and the Sun City thing and been very critical over Live Aid being used as a vehicle by several over-the-hill rockers to prolong their naff careers. Let alone the whole moral hypocrisy behind the whole event.

But, fuck me, what a performance. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, henry bear said:

Who gives a fuck what they are, it’d be two hours of wall to wall singalong bangers

Well the conclusion of that thinking would be to book tribute bands across the board, save a load of money, and we've have a "dream" line-up of Bootleg Beatles, Counterfeit Stones, Australian Pink Floyd, Jason Bonham's Led Zeppelin Experience, Zappa Plays Zappa, etc. etc.

6 minutes ago, billum said:

Well the conclusion of that thinking would be to book tribute bands across the board, save a load of money, and we've have a "dream" line-up of Bootleg Beatles, Counterfeit Stones, Australian Pink Floyd, Jason Bonham's Led Zeppelin Experience, Zappa Plays Zappa, etc. etc.

Image may contain: 3 people, people on stage and text

17 minutes ago, billum said:

This view reduces the other members to 'just' being Freddie Mercury's backing band, which isn't exactly accurate either.

If John 'Deaky' Deacon were to come back I think that would settle matters once and for all.

7 minutes ago, RarerThanDandyB said:

Mad how Strokes are odds on with the Cure, surely they know something...

There will be about £150 worth of liquidity in those markets, I reckon. Wouldn’t read too much into it!

Everyone single person on this forum knows more about Glastonbury headliners than SkyBet or whoever it is!

1 minute ago, The Red Telephone said:

There will be about £150 worth of liquidity in those markets, I reckon. Wouldn’t read too much into it!

Everyone single person on this forum knows more about Glastonbury headliners than SkyBet or whoever it is!

But surely they must know the rumours and news and dig deeper to offer the competitive odds. Why put the Strokes that high being odds on if there isn’t a fair amount of money to be made. They should know it’s unlikely

3 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

This view reduces the other members to 'just' being Freddie Mercury's backing band, which isn't exactly accurate either.

If John 'Deaky' Deacon were to come back I think that would settle matters once and for all.

Exactly, you've still got the people who helped craft those songs into the behemoths they are today. For all of Freddie's showmanship the still needed the frankly ridiculous riffs of May for instance.

Doesn't sound like Deeks has any interest in ever coming back though sadly. 

3 minutes ago, RarerThanDandyB said:

But surely they must know the rumours and news and dig deeper to offer the competitive odds. Why put the Strokes that high being odds on if there isn’t a fair amount of money to be made. They should know it’s unlikely

It's more likely where the money is going with this market so the question to probably ask is do the people putting money on know anything? I don't think it will take much to change the market, a few bets at a reasonable amount. Just look at the events on Betway yesterday..

1 minute ago, RarerThanDandyB said:

See what you’re saying, but there will be very low maximum stakes attached to these markets - some posters said they could only put a maximum of £10 on yesterday, so losses to the firms will be minimal.

Maybe it’s a publicity thing? Newspaper prints story of bookie saying that The Strokes are favourites. Clickbait article “The Strokes to headline Glastonbury?” generates clicks for paper and free advert for bookie?

Or maybe we’ll hear the opening bars of “The Modern Age” clanging out from the Pyramid in eight months!

I was dragged alon to see them in Vegas recently as i was firmly in the ‘ tribute act” camp, I also had the opportunity to see Death Cab for Cutie and Chvrches On the same night at a festival that we had weekend tickets.

I had to admit they were excellent, the found the right balance between Lambert being his own man and honouring the tradition of Queen, they also did some nice acknowledgement of Freddie without it becoming sickly. May and Taylor get far more space to show their own talents.

I saw Queen a couple of times in the early 80s and was very sceptical about going to see them, but they did a good show and as people say it would be a fantastic party in a field.

Edited by GMF