2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

21 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I watched the Live Aid gig earlier today and hot damn that was a good gig. Eating out of the palm of his hand.

Never seen a huge Glasto crowd as engaged as that. And that definitely includes Fun Lovin' Criminals playing Scooby Snacks in the 90s.

I remember watching it as a kid and being blown away. My aunt's were there in the living room with us and totally loving Freddie. I remember even as a kid what an incredible performance. It was really something else. 

My parents recorded the whole thing on VHS that Queen performance was always the one to get replayed. 

The U2 performance being second. Now whatever your opinion about either band, those performances put them in the mega stratosphere they inhabit now. 

2 minutes ago, H.M.V said:

I remember watching it as a kid and being blown away. My aunt's were there in the living room with us and totally loving Freddie. I remember even as a kid what an incredible performance. It was really something else. 

My parents recorded the whole thing on VHS that Queen performance was always the one to get replayed. 

The U2 performance being second. Now whatever your opinion about either band, those performances put them in the mega stratosphere they inhabit now. 

Yeah exactly the same in my house. In addition my disappointment that Adam Ant did only one song, and it was new one, and my sister crying her eyes out that George Michael only came on stage with Elton as opposed to Wham performing!

30 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I watched the Live Aid gig earlier today and hot damn that was a good gig. Eating out of the palm of his hand.

Never seen a huge Glasto crowd as engaged as that. And that definitely includes Fun Lovin' Criminals playing Scooby Snacks in the 90s.

I can remember when I first saw a recording of that and thought exactly the same! So amazing!

Bad news: I had to work on the day of Live Aid

Good news: Because of where I worked, I managed to plug into a stereo high quality feed of it that wasn't being broadcast anywhere! Great!

Bad news: That stereo version is available everywhere now, so no exclusive claims on it any more

Good news: That stereo version is available everywhere now, and what a show, especially Queen!

Bad news: Where's the Led Zep performance......?

6 minutes ago, billum said:

Bad news: I had to work on the day of Live Aid

Good news: Because of where I worked, I managed to plug into a stereo high quality feed of it that wasn't being broadcast anywhere! Great!

Bad news: That stereo version is available everywhere now, so no exclusive claims on it any more

Good news: That stereo version is available everywhere now, and what a show, especially Queen!

Bad news: Where's the Led Zep performance......?

what a rollercoaster

To be clear, I wasn't being serious about suggesting someone knew something cos Liam Gallagher was such low odds. I was taking the mick out of the running updates on The Strokes' odds. I'm guessing that Betway (was it?) had seen him reported in the NME a few times talking about being at Glastonbury and thought he was the best bet on opening the market. Nobody should really anticipate that he's headlining (unless they run out of options by April).

Saying that, I don't know how LG ties in to subbing Paul McCartney at all. Sir Macca chose his own sub last time and it was the Black Eyed Peas; I sincerely doubt that Paul listens to and enjoys a lot of Liam Gallagher's material. This arrangement only really works if Liam gets to choose his own headliner or if the festival decides "wouldn't it be funny to get the guy whose brother idolises and rips off The Beatles to play before fella off of Beatles?". Shit don't make sense.

Edited by dentalplan

1 hour ago, Gnomicide said:

Freddie was amazing, I was lucky enough to see him on 3 occasions, other front men have come close but no-one was as good as him.

I saw him three times too. Where did you go? I was at Milton Keynes 82, Wembley Arena 84, and his last stand at Knebworth in 86. Undoubtedly the greatest frontman I’ve ever seen. 

3 hours ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Just got back from watching Bohemian Rhapsody and although I may be wrapped up in the euphoria of how great I thought the movie was, God damn it Freddie would've owned that Pyramid 

I watched it last week and spent the final half an hour bawling my eyes out watching them recreate the Live Aid performace. Rami Malek is a revelation in that role, as was the geezer who plays Brian May. The voices, the mannerisms, everything was spot on. Absolutely wonderful. 

9 hours ago, bennyhana22 said:

Oooh, Kate, I do love you. 

But it’s a no from me. 

I’m a massive techno and electronic fan, but for me DP are....a bit...*gulps* boring. 

(Puts tin hat on)

I mean, DP vs. Justice at WH last year? No contest. And Justice are obviously nowhere near Py toppers. 

Good try, mind. 

And the rest of you? Come on? Whadya ya got?

:)

Ben

9 hours ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Daft Punk 1994-1998 = oui

Daft Punk 1999-2013 = non

Petition to go back in time and make Alive 2017

8 hours ago, fatyeti24 said:

Lucky for me then I saw them in 1997, at Glastonbury.  :) 

So so lucky. I feel very unlucky I was only 9 at that moment in my life, but I feel like I should have gotten my shit together. No excuse for missing them. 

Maybe they'll tour in 2027.

Not sure if its been mentioned in any other threads or on here but there is one band I wondered could definitely headline. They are touring the UK and playing the Ricoh Arena on the 23rd then nothing till the 3rd July in Germany.

The band is Bon Jovi. Who definitely would be big enough, would have a belting repertoire to choose from and would blow the pyramid stage with an amazing set 

JBJ has previously said he would love to do it and they are the sort of band that play well in big festivals.

Possibilities ?

Edited by United@glasto

2 hours ago, United@glasto said:

Not sure if its been mentioned in any other threads or on here but there is one band I wondered could definitely headline. They are touring the UK and playing the Ricoh Arena on the 23rd then nothing till the 3rd July in Germany.

The band is Bon Jovi. Who definitely would be big enough, would have a belting repertoire to choose from and would blow the pyramid stage with an amazing set 

JBJ has previously said he would love to do it and they are the sort of band that play well in big festivals.

Possibilities ?

I have to say that Bon Jovi, like Kiss are one of those bands that feel like they don't fit the mould of Pyramid headliner. Big enough? Yep. Repertoire? Sure. But something says to me that they're more of an Isle of Wight festival headliner. I suppose you could have said the same about Metallica and looked what happened there.

Never say never but Bon Jovi are never headlining Glastonbury. Probably. 

3 hours ago, MetaKate said:

Petition to go back in time and make Alive 2017

More likely Alive 2057. They are the Led Zeppelin of electronica. By that I mean every year they are the first name on everyone's fantasy headliners but the likelihood of them doing anything live again looks low. They come across as two artists who play by their own rules.

Now I've said that watch them announce Coachella followed by an 18 month world tour! 

4 hours ago, Harmonic Prospector said:

I watched it last week and spent the final half an hour bawling my eyes out watching them recreate the Live Aid performace. Rami Malek is a revelation in that role, as was the geezer who plays Brian May. The voices, the mannerisms, everything was spot on. Absolutely wonderful. 

Totally agree. I thought it was fantastic. I'm sure the hardcore Queen fan could pick holes in the accuracy of the story but I loved it. Brilliantly cast, tastefully done and the Live Aid crescendo was fantastic, very believable. 

Great cameo from one actor in particular with a genius crossover in-joke too! 

7 hours ago, henry bear said:

I saw him three times too. Where did you go? I was at Milton Keynes 82, Wembley Arena 84, and his last stand at Knebworth in 86. Undoubtedly the greatest frontman I’ve ever seen. 

Elland Road in '82, Maine Road and Knebworth in '86.

I think I enjoyed the 82 tour more, even though the Hot Space album they'd just released was appalling.   

1 hour ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Totally agree. I thought it was fantastic. I'm sure the hardcore Queen fan could pick holes in the accuracy of the story but I loved it. Brilliantly cast, tastefully done and the Live Aid crescendo was fantastic, very believable. 

Great cameo from one actor in particular with a genius crossover in-joke too! 

Yes, the timeline for certain songs was way off at some points, and the legendary debauchery was very much glossed over. However it didn't detract from the enjoyment of the film in any way. It's a Hollywood film not a documentary.

Loved the cameo of Mike Myres and the Bohemian Rhapsody joke. 

Edited by Harmonic Prospector

9 hours ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Just got back from watching Bohemian Rhapsody and although I may be wrapped up in the euphoria of how great I thought the movie was, God damn it Freddie would've owned that Pyramid 

They’d destroy the Pyramid in their current guise with Adam Lambert. AL might not be Freddie but he does a damn fine job in his own right. It’s all there for a headline set for the ages - legendary band, charismatic lead singer, literally dozens of stone cold bangers that 90% of the crowd would know and lose their shit to, the prospect of a series of massive communal singalongs...

Just a shame about those darn badgers...

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

They’d destroy the Pyramid in their current guise with Adam Lambert. AL might not be Freddie but he does a damn fine job in his own right. It’s all there for a headline set for the ages - legendary band, charismatic lead singer, literally dozens of stone cold bangers that 90% of the crowd would know and lose their shit to, the prospect of a series of massive communal singalongs...

I’ve seen various incarnations of Queen over the years, and have to say the current one is the closest approximation of classic Queen. When they did the tours with Paul Rogers it didn’t feel like Queen at all. And you’re right about the badgers, Brian is a sensitive soul and I can’t imagine him kissing and making up on this one.

22 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

They wouldn't headline though, surely?

27 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

They wouldn't headline though, surely?