2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

3 hours ago, uscore said:

yeah you had your day

Not that I'm a huge fan of TRHCP but you don't think Maca and the Cure have also had their day?

To clarify, I'm happy whoever headlines. If I like it I'll be there, if I don't I won't....but I just thought it was a weird criticism given the other names floating around

17 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

Not that I'm a huge fan of TRHCP but you don't think Maca and the Cure have also had their day?

To clarify, I'm happy whoever headlines. If I like it I'll be there, if I don't I won't....but I just thought it was a weird criticism given the other names floating around

Bit different, though. RHCP don't have the influence or legacy status that either The Cure or Macca do. They're in a similar position to Green Day who I also don't think will ever headline Glasto now, though I know others disagree on that.

• Like 1

I think if the Chillis were ever going to headline Glasto their time would have been 1998-2004. That ship has well and truly sailed aa they don't have the same pull any more, particularly without Frusciante. Athough if they put them as  headliners on the Other Stage I'm sure they would go down a storm and draw a big crowd. 

37 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Is it any different to someone a decade ago saying they don't think Pearl Jam will ever headline Glasto now? Genuine Q cos I have no idea how Pearl Jam were viewed back then.

Eh I dunno either. From what I gather - much unlike RHCP or Green Day - Pearl Jam have never been a massive band in the mainstream here and wouldn't have headlined UK festivals twenty years ago anyway so saying "nah not anymore" ten years ago woulda been weird as they'd only just made it there.

For a few reasons I don't personally think Chilis will ever play Glastonbury either - just posted that thing up the page for goofs - but all I meant was that these still-huge rock bands are most certainly in line with the safe choices that Glastonbury chooses to make with its headline bookings now.

1 hour ago, Harmonic Prospector said:

I think if the Chillis were ever going to headline Glasto their time would have been 1998-2004.

Or the time in 2005 that they offered to play for free, and were turned down flat.

Ok, so it was because the spot was filled rather than anything else, but it still amuses me.

1 hour ago, kalifire said:

How many headliners have RW got left to announce now? Just the one, isn’t it? 

The Kendrick rumour will probably live or die by that announcement. 

So far they have announced:

Thursday: Pink

Friday: The Cure and Tool

Satruday: Mumford and Florence

Sunday: Muse

Surely they have all headliners sorted from that lot? Although maybe Pink isn’t the Thursday headliner.

1 hour ago, Divein said:

So far they have announced:

Thursday: Pink

Friday: The Cure and Tool

Satruday: Mumford and Florence

Sunday: Muse

Surely they have all headliners sorted from that lot? Although maybe Pink isn’t the Thursday headliner.

Thursday will get another co-headliner for sure. It's traditionally the hardest day to sell. Last year QOTSA and Gorillaz headlined and the year before Kings Of Leon and Arcade Fire. 

I see people talking about RHCP so time to bust out the obligatory Nick Cave quote:

Two years ago, when asked about current music, Nick Cave focused his ire on one band in particular. "I'm forever near a stereo saying, 'What the fuck is this GARBAGE?'" he fumed. "And the answer is always the Red Hot Chili Peppers."

• Like 3

I dunno if they really are digging The Cure back up to headline I wouldn't completely rule out something daft like the Chillis happening in future. Obviously different cases but we all agreed The Cure were past their days as a relevant G headliner until Neil came in with info saying it was happening, right?