2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

12 minutes ago, kalifire said:

It’s as relevant as your blanket description of “pop shite”. 

It's an opinion. Everyone has one. I'd have thought someone with an edgy avatar wouldn't be upset by someone else labelling artists as shite. Obviously not.

Edited by beau1
Edit

16 minutes ago, beau1 said:

It's an opinion. Everyone has one. I'd have thought someone with an edgy avatar wouldn't be upset by someone else labelling artists as shite. Obviously not.

Your opinion didn’t upset me, it’s more the implication that nobody is allowed their opinion either. Can’t it be enough that you don’t like a particular genre of music? I don’t see why it’s necessary to go on to attack others for discussing artists within that genre. Live and let live and all that. 

17 minutes ago, kalifire said:

Your opinion didn’t upset me, it’s more the implication that nobody is allowed their opinion either. Can’t it be enough that you don’t like a particular genre of music? I don’t see why it’s necessary to go on to attack others for discussing artists within that genre. Live and let live and all that. 

Erm, I didn't attack anyone and I actually think you are now leading yourself down a rather ironic path by suggesting I did.

I Just agreed that there isn't really much difference between the artists that were being discussed. People seemed to be trying to separate pink compared with Lady Gaga, Madonna etc and using this as a reason why she wouldn't headline. Most of the points against pink were fairly unconvincing and made arbitrary points regarding how she is somehow less musically valid. I merely pointed out and agreed that there wasn't much difference between those artists.

I also called them pop shite, which I'm glad to see you have recognised as a musical genre.

Edited by beau1
Edit

When I was younger, my Dad... who loved opera and classical... was fairly dismissive (shite might not have been a term he would use, but it was along those lines) of all the music I listened to. I gave up trying to reason/argue with him, preferring instead to cocoon myself with headphones to avoid the conflict. 

Now with teenagers myself, who like hip/hop, grime (my lad) and “pop shite” (my daughter) I take the time to listen to and discuss a lot of their music. I may not share their tastes, but they’ve introduced me to some good stuff I wouldn’t otherwise have listened to.

Some of my most enjoyable sets at the festival have been going to acts I don’t particularly enjoy with my daughter and watching her sheer enjoyment. Adele, Florence, Charli XCX, Ella Eyre, all acts I would not have been at without her. They were all fantastic.

My son, who will be a newbie, is also coming along next year. I’m sure I’ll find myself at some hip/hop or grime artist I have no interest in.... and I’m sure it will be ace. I also really hope Taylor Swift or Little Mix play. My daughter would love to see either.

Theres plenty for everyone there, and as has been pointed out countless times here... the Pyramid headliners don’t need to be your cup of tea. Or “big enough to headline” whatever the hell that means. Smallest crowd I’ve seen for a headliner at Pyramid was Radiohead.... who I adore! But I’m old. So that’s as it should be. Pink, Gaga, Swift.... the field would be rammed I suspect... as it was for Sheeran. Who also qualifies as “pop shite” in some eyes.

I suspect my Dad called Fleetwood Mac and Macca “pop shite” when he passed my room in 1975. They’re “ancient pop shite” if you like.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 8

4 hours ago, beau1 said:

Just agreed that there isn't really much difference between the artists that were being discussed. 

But they are all pretty different.  Even the acts that have recognisablly similar career paths - Madonna and Gaga - have made music that is uniquely and distinctively by them. Your point is the equivalent of saying that all rap music is the same or that all heavy metal is the same.

1 hour ago, Tranquility of Solitude said:

When I was younger, my Dad... who loved opera and classical... was fairly dismissive (shite might not have been a term he would use, but it was along those lines) of all the music I listened to. I gave up trying to reason/argue with him, preferring instead to cocoon myself with headphones to avoid the conflict. 

Now with teenagers myself, who like hip/hop, grime (my lad) and “pop shite” (my daughter) I take the time to listen to and discuss a lot of their music. I may not share their tastes, but they’ve introduced me to some good stuff I wouldn’t otherwise have listened to.

Some of my most enjoyable sets at the festival have been going to acts I don’t particularly enjoy with my daughter and watching her sheer enjoyment. Adele, Florence, Charli XCX, Ella Eyre, all acts I would not have been at without her. They were all fantastic.

My son, who will be a newbie, is also coming along next year. I’m sure I’ll find myself at some hip/hop or grime artist I have no interest in.... and I’m sure it will be ace. I also really hope Taylor Swift or Little Mix play. My daughter would love to see either.

Theres plenty for everyone there, and as has been pointed out countless times here... the Pyramid headliners don’t need to be your cup of tea. Or “big enough to headline” whatever the hell that means. Smallest crowd I’ve seen for a headliner at Pyramid was Radiohead.... who I adore! But I’m old. So that’s as it should be. Pink, Gaga, Swift.... the field would be rammed I suspect... as it was for Sheeran. Who also qualifies as “pop shite” in some eyes.

I suspect my Dad called Fleetwood Mac and Macca “pop shite” when he passed my room in 1975. They’re “ancient pop shite” if you like.

I've been playing a bit fast and loose with my upvotes it seems, and am already out, but I very much enjoyed reading this well reasoned post whilst caffeinating myself up this morning :)

56 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

But they are all pretty different.  Even the acts that have recognisablly similar career paths - Madonna and Gaga - have made music that is uniquely and distinctively by them. Your point is the equivalent of saying that all rap music is the same or that all heavy metal is the same.

No, my point is that they are all big enough to play/headline Glastonbury. The previous page had a bizarre debate which suggested pink wouldn't be as musically valid as the other options. Check the posting yourself, one person claimed she wasn't a musician, someone else claimed that she wasn't valid for other reasons that just seemed arbitrary.

People are getting a bit too hung up on the "pop shite" remark I made, which as I said from the beginning is my opinion.

You're all getting too hung up on the pop shite remark. The ACTUAL argument beau1 made had some validity.

Some people are basically saying Pink won't headline because her music is less credible than Lady Gaga or Madonna. The point is that those acts are all in the same genre and I'd argue they appeal to largely the same people - people who like catchy pop music. Just because certain people on efestivals like one more than the other doesn't mean they don't still have the same general appeal. Yes, amongst dedicated music fans there may be a concensus that Gaga has more merit than Pink and would therefore be a more appropriate headliner, but there's no chance the average person would react any differently to either act being announced.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I like pop as a genre, being a child of the 80s it would be pretty hard to give it a blanket term of shite....you'll find plenty of that shite in my collection. But I do agree with @beau1 re the argument that Pink should not be classed as less deserving, particularly with the clamour for Kylie in the legend slot - who was supposed to have headlined previously. If it's their social commentary you base them on then I don't recall Kylie being outspoken on any matters. (Not Kylie bashing here, but genuinely don't understand). I don't get the love for little mix or Taylor tbh, unless it's the eye candy appeal...which if it is, then that is a bit gross to be honest, and probably a discussion relevant to the other thread going on.

Edited by slash's hat

7 minutes ago, slash's hat said:

I don't get the love for little mix or Taylor tbh, unless it's the eye candy appeal...which if it is, then that is a bit gross to be honest, and probably a discussion relevant to the other thread going on.

Little Mix I don't really understand but they do have some catchy music. Taylor on the other hand is very good at her job and by most accounts decent live. I would hope that most would want to go there and listen to her decent music rather than stare at her for being a good looking woman (there will be some though and i'm sure some even post on here) however the same argument could be had for women purely going to see a male artist just for the pleasure of looking at them i.e 1975, Bastille and Catfish to name a few and that's purely based on what i've seen/heard with an actual quote on Bastille being " i only like 1 song but at least i can stare at Dan on stage for an hour". I know its all at different levels i'm just pointing out it can be the other way around. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, RarerThanDandyB said:

Kendrick is the big maybe so hopefully it is him. More than likely if they are moving the festival it is to accommodate a headliner so who knows. 

Hoping so, Fleetwood could be a possibility though, but we all know they're not playing the G so if that was the case, I guess they moved RW for another reason

Edited by Bovla

27 minutes ago, slash's hat said:

I don't get the love for little mix or Taylor tbh, unless it's the eye candy appeal...which if it is, then that is a bit gross to be honest, and probably a discussion relevant to the other thread going on.

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

17 minutes ago, Doug85 said:

Taylor on the other hand is very good at her job and by most accounts decent live. I would hope that most would want to go there and listen to her decent music rather than stare at her for being a good looking woman (there will be some though and i'm sure some even post on here) however the same argument could be had for women purely going to see a male artist just for the pleasure of looking at them i.e 1975, Bastille and Catfish to name a few and that's purely based on what i've seen/heard with an actual quote on Bastille being " i only like 1 song but at least i can stare at Dan on stage for an hour". I know its all at different levels i'm just pointing out it can be the other way around. 

I'm pretty decent at my job. But I'm fucking terrible at it in a live / festival scenario.