2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

I think we're in a really weird area if we're saying Ed Sheeran and Adele can headline because they're culturally significant, but Pink can't because of x, y and z. I think the Eavii will see Pink as a well established act with bags of hits who has just sold a boat load of tickets. She's a new headliner for the festival and she's not a white bloke with an electric guitar. 

Again, she's not my personal bet, but I wouldn't rule her out at all. I'd say she's currently 4th most likely IMO of the current contenders.(1975, Gaga, AM, Pink)

12 minutes ago, Bradders said:

That’s why I said some extra stuff ;)

To be honest I don't think the cultural impact stuff is as big a deal as you suggest - one of the names I considered using was Metallica, but decided to just stick to pop/mainstream.

But anyway - Metallica - huge sellers, not got that mainstream consciousness compared to Adele etc, and not really typical fare for a Glastonbury audience. Could have said it about them as well.

5 minutes ago, jparx said:

I think we're in a really weird area if we're saying Ed Sheeran and Adele can headline because they're culturally significant, but Pink can't because of x, y and z. I think the Eavii will see Pink as a well established act with bags of hits who has just sold a boat load of tickets. She's a new headliner for the festival and she's not a white bloke with an electric guitar. 

Again, she's not my personal bet, but I wouldn't rule her out at all. I'd say she's currently 4th most likely IMO of the current contenders.(1975, Gaga, AM, Pink)

I'd say if the likes of Pink was going to headline then Katy Perry would have done. 

41 minutes ago, Bradders said:

Pink wouldn’t headline Glastonbury the same way Michael Buble wouldn’t. Big acts but it’s not the same crowd.

The zeitgeist or “cultural importance” factor has come up on here before too, but most people don’t seem to get it. Sheeran, Gaga, Adele, yes they sell lots of records and tickets, but they also have some effect on culture. People make jokes about them at the pub, they get thinkpeices written about them, everyone has an opinion one way or the other. Pink just sells, and that’s typically not enough to headline Glastonbury. Hopefully that doesn’t change.

I completely get what you mean but I'm not sure whether it applies to Pink. Unlike Buble and Take That and stuff, she's been doing festivals all this time, and is actually headlining Werchter instead of being bundled of to Werchter Boutique (like Bruno Mars, Robbie and Madonna) which must say something about her being able to integrate with normal festival fare. I don't know really - it would certainly be surprising but not as utterly bewildering as other choices may be.

Edited by dentalplan

1 minute ago, Gucci Piggy said:

I'm with Bradders on this one. I don't think P!nk fans are at Glasto, like I don't think Take That fans are at Glasto.

I said this about Take That the other week to differing opinions but I still maintain that their fans are less likely to go out of their way to go to Glastonbury and see them rather than go to one of their own shows. 

Stuff like that does happen though, i specifically remember going to V Festival in 2012 or 13 whenever Beyonce headlined and absolute loads of people only bought tickets to see Beyonce as they all sat in the fields getting drunk at their tents rather than go watch music (each to their own i suppose) but when Beyonce was on the rush to the main stage was mental. 

2 minutes ago, Woffy said:

Take That fans aren't at Glastonbury?

But seemingly LOADS of Craig David fans were.

I still can't believe that crowd. I was trying to work my way over to the Pyramid for Corbyn and the field was rammed. Maybe I've kid myself that they were all waiting for Jezza. 

4 minutes ago, Doug85 said:

I said this about Take That the other week to differing opinions but I still maintain that their fans are less likely to go out of their way to go to Glastonbury and see them rather than go to one of their own shows. 

Stuff like that does happen though, i specifically remember going to V Festival in 2012 or 13 whenever Beyonce headlined and absolute loads of people only bought tickets to see Beyonce as they all sat in the fields getting drunk at their tents rather than go watch music (each to their own i suppose) but when Beyonce was on the rush to the main stage was mental. 

Makes more sense at a festival you can buy day tickets for, though, doesn't it? Maybe P!nk has fans who'd be willing to go to a festival to see her but I doubt they're people who are buying Glasto tickets before they know who's playing.

Did Katy Perry have a big crowd too?

I don't think its that surprising that the poppy pop acts get big crowds, cos even if you're not a fan, you've definitely heard of them, so are likely to pop over if theres nothing else clashing. I mean, Craig David is 100 times more famous than say, The National, even though The National subbed. Remember, most people are not like the folk on this forum.

From what I've gathered, many consider Pink more of a rock chick than a pop act? And shes a fiesty feminist .... I always thought it seemed a bit of a needy act, but I will admit that I take little notice. On that basis I'm genuinely surprised at the clamour to see her ... as I was for Adele, Sheeran etc. I reckon she a front runner as things stand.

Just now, Gucci Piggy said:

Makes more sense at a festival you can buy day tickets for, though, doesn't it? Maybe P!nk has fans who'd be willing to go to a festival to see her but I doubt they're people who are buying Glasto tickets before they know who's playing.

Of course, however there were loads who bought the full weekend tickets just to see her. I was camped near quite a few. Glastonbury is different due to the lineup announcement dates and ticket sale dates but there will be lots who would cancel tickets on the basis they were unhappy with the lineup or certain headliners (probably cos they don't see the bigger picture)

I can't see P!ink at all...

She's fantastic live, and her show is enormous. Just look at the promo vid for her tour proper - huge production. They couldn't transfer this to the pyramid, even before you consider she's playing dates either side of the Friday.

Possibility - as a bit of fun she's take the 'Katie Perry slot' (albeit on the Friday).

1 minute ago, Hawros said:

I can't see P!ink at all...

She's fantastic live, and her show is enormous. Just look at the promo vid for her tour proper - huge production. They couldn't transfer this to the pyramid, even before you consider she's playing dates either side of the Friday.

Possibility - as a bit of fun she's take the 'Katie Perry slot' (albeit on the Friday).

Yeah, but how many acts actually get to transfer their show to a festival stage unless they're a headliner? Don't think that's a reason for it not to happen

17 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

It’s like saying Dolly Parton or Lionel Richie fans aren’t at Glastonbury.

Those are completely benign acts that were treated by many as a novelty - load of festivals have those. Craig David and probably Shaggy fall into that category also.

Take That aren't much of a novelty at all; they're one of the British acts of all time, haven't left the TV screen since they reunited and are kings amongst those people you know that don't get why you'd go to a muddy music festival and have known two or three headliners in the past decade. Them being given a slot would be perhaps the single most self-destructive booking Glastonbury could make and herald the end of the festival as we know it.

Edited by dentalplan

1 minute ago, dentalplan said:

Those are completely benign acts that were treated by many as a novelty - load of festivals have those. Craig David and probably Shaggy fall into that category also.

Take That aren't much of a novelty at all; they're one of the British acts of all time, haven't left the TV screen since they reunited and are kings amongst those people you know that don't get why you'd go to a muddy music festival and have known two or three headliners in the past decade. Them being given a slot would be perhaps the single most self-destructive booking Glastonbury could make and herald the end of the festival as we know it.

I am nowhere near a Craig David fan, but his set last year was a highlight!

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Quark said:

Yeah, but how many acts actually get to transfer their show to a festival stage unless they're a headliner? Don't think that's a reason for it not to happen

But we're talking about her as a headliner here. And her stage show is bigger than the average.

That, with the fact that it doesn't feel right / would be met with shrugs from the majority (!?) makes me feel it's not happening.

1 minute ago, vintagelaureate said:

I am nowhere near a Craig David fan, but his set last year was a highlight!

Haha same...I think it's more of a reflection of the age bracket of my Glasto crew and the fact that as we have very different tastes in music we are rarely all together. Craig David was one of those times we all enjoyed, and that's usually one of the key criteria for something becoming a highlight :)