2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

Had a dream last night that the lineup was announced. I read a short preview of it on the front of a magazine or something and then woke up before I saw the full thing. The preview said something like this (the acts are correct but I don't remember the exact wording):

"Paul McCartney returns to Glastonbury and The Cure make a stop on their festival tour. The Other Stage features current acts such as James Blake whilst Nine Inch Nails make a one-off appearance."

Was buzzing ffs.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ramusgrove said:

Manic Street Preachers have just announced a 20th anniversary tour for This Is My Truth in May 2019, possible Other Stage headliner?

They were third down the Other Stage in 2014 and Glasto doesn't tend to book acts doing album anniversary shows. They didn't do The Holy Bible at Glasto that year even though they did an anniversary tour for it.

1 minute ago, Gucci Piggy said:

They were third down the Other Stage in 2014 and Glasto doesn't tend to book acts doing album anniversary shows. They didn't do The Holy Bible at Glasto that year even though they did an anniversary tour for it.

Think a headline slot would have been more likely this year on the back of the new album while they were a bit more in the eye. Smashed the set at Beautiful Days. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Quark said:

Think a headline slot would have been more likely this year on the back of the new album while they were a bit more in the eye. Smashed the set at Beautiful Days. 

Surely a new Manic Street Preachers album in 2018 does nothing to up their stock? Did anyone who isn't a big MSP fan already even listen to it? I don't think they have a chance of moving above their 2014 position unless they split up for a decade and then reunite.

8 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Surely a new Manic Street Preachers album in 2018 does nothing to up their stock? Did anyone who isn't a big MSP fan already even listen to it? I don't think they have a chance of moving above their 2014 position unless they split up for a decade and then reunite.

Singles got a decent amount of radio play, so I'd say awareness of them was higher than it had been for the past few years at least. Good album too tbf.

Agree they're unlikely to get an Other headline next year, but I don't think this year would have been out of the realms of possibility.

Personally I think the best Manics could hope for is opening the Other stage. At least with that slot they would get some exposure as the festival opener. I can't see them headlining any stage, aside from maybe John Peel, and they won't be getting a premium Pyramid slot. 

5 minutes ago, Quark said:

Singles got a decent amount of radio play, so I'd say awareness of them was higher than it had been for the past few years at least. Good album too tbf.

Agree they're unlikely to get an Other headline next year, but I don't think this year would have been out of the realms of possibility.

The fact that you were able to see them at Beautiful Days suggests they're wouldn't have been in the mix for headlining the Other Stage. :P

1 minute ago, The Red Telephone said:

Blimey, Bon Jovi look like they’re playing Croke Park which is an 82,000 capacity stadium! Had no idea they were that popular still.

I can envisage them playing at the farm one day, maybe 3rd/4th down in the ZZ Top slot...but not if they’re selling out stadiums still.

Garth Brooks also sold out 5 nights in croke park ( which got cancelled in the end) but i doubt we'd be discussing his potential for headline. 

1 hour ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Had a dream last night that the lineup was announced. I read a short preview of it on the front of a magazine or something and then woke up before I saw the full thing. The preview said something like this (the acts are correct but I don't remember the exact wording):

"Paul McCartney returns to Glastonbury and The Cure make a stop on their festival tour. The Other Stage features current acts such as James Blake whilst Nine Inch Nails make a one-off appearance."

Was buzzing ffs.

Can you take a notepad and pencil to bed with you tonight please.

Edited by Ommadawn

27 minutes ago, H.M.V said:

Garth Brooks also sold out 5 nights in croke park ( which got cancelled in the end) but i doubt we'd be discussing his potential for headline. 

Yah but Bon Jovi are also popular in the UK. :P

Surprised people had thought them any less than a headline act, given how long they've been the epitome of bland stadium-filling rock band for most of their career.

1 minute ago, deebeedoobee said:

Forgive me if this is old news or even non news but Swedish House Mafia have announced gigs in May 2019. Possible visit to the farm? Not even sure what stage or when they would play these days but I’d be happy to see them.

doubt it, they'll be all about $$$ on this "reunion" tour.

probably fit in as Other headliner if they didn't though, given some of the similar stuff over the years like deadmau5, skrillex, etc.

On ‎5‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 3:01 PM, battleborn said:

If Glasto wasn't such a stuffy old brigade thing clinging on to old guitar bands and so-called proper musicians then Swedish House Mafia are clearly big enough to headline it. They'd get a crowd well in excess of 75k and would  bring the party good and proper. Chemical Brothers headlined, so it's not like dance acts can't do it.

And lo, the prophecy did comest to pass...

25 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Yah but Bon Jovi are also popular in the UK. :P

Surprised people had thought them any less than a headline act, given how long they've been the epitome of bland stadium-filling rock band for most of their career.

Touche. I think bland being the operative word. I have nothing against the Jovi but it's not my cup of tea. I'm sure a certain @Gnomicide would be thrilled at such an announcement. 

6 minutes ago, H.M.V said:

Touche. I think bland being the operative word. I have nothing against the Jovi but it's not my cup of tea. I'm sure a certain @Gnomicide would be thrilled at such an announcement. 

There was a time I would've been but they've been treading tepid water for many a year. Also, no Richie, no party.