2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

16 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

I just kinda meant in the way that they were a group that worked their way into the hearts of the working class but, looking back, they probably weren’t in tune with the masses and one of them was an enormo-Tory all along.

Pulp are left-wing Labour. Good heart, brown suit, unelectable.

Pulp are interesting because, having been around since the early 80s, they were sort of a holdover from an earlier, pre-90s tradition of British upper-working to lower-middle class art rock that the 90s pretty definitively closed off, imo. Cocker is closer to, say, David Sylvian than he is to Damon Albarn. 

Edited by Winslow Leach

2 minutes ago, Winslow Leach said:

Pulp are interesting because, having been around since the early 80s, they were sort of a holdover from an earlier, pre-90s tradition of British upper-working to lower-middle class art rock that the 90s pretty definitively closed off, imo. Cocker is closer to, say, David Sylvian than he is to Damon Albarn. 

You knew I wouldn’t know who that is but you said it anyway.

But aye if you’re furthering the case for JC being the JC of the music world then I see it.

22 minutes ago, eastynh said:

I still think the last headliner will be Liam Gallagher. New album will be out and he is already filling arenas and bigish outdoor events.

Not that I particularly want him, but I think it's him.

Just when we have him written down as a definite sub for the past few weeks... I think consensus was he'd only be headliner if Oasis reunites. 

To fit in with today's discussion: I think Mumford is more likely as a headliner than Liam :ph34r:

Edited by StupidDream

45 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Eh I think Mumfords could easily slip in with the stock-option rotating headline bands. Being the biggest hasn’t that much to do with it, given that the other more-modern British bands who have headlined were like Travis and Stereophonics who started taking non-headline slots shortly after; something that Mumford & Sons don’t seem likely to do at all. Besides, Mumfords at their peak were bigger worldwide than Muse and Arctics have ever been.

Kasabian haven’t had chance to join the conveyor belt of British headline bands at Glasto anyway. I think it’s a bit delusional to rule them, Kings of Leon, The Killers and Mumfords out of all future events because they’re not at the peak of their powers anymore. It’s not like bookers are getting behind the idea of new headliners.

How big they were when they played in 2013 doesn't really matter, though, I'm talking about their current size. If they'd maintained that status as one of the biggest bands on the planet like Coldplay and Muse did (and Arctic Monkeys in the UK) then I'd be talking differently, but I don't reckon they have. Could they sell out multiple date stadium tours right now like Coldplay and Muse were able to do on the back of every album (like I said, though, I think Muse are maybe past that point now).

I didn't rule any of those bands out of headlining future events, I just get the impression from all the previous Glasto lineups that I'm aware of that they wouldn't be looking to bring any of them back unless there weren't any other real options.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

You knew I wouldn’t know who that is but you said it anyway.

But aye if you’re furthering the case for JC being the JC of the music world then I see it.

I feel like the Cocker equivalent is a poorly paid Marxist academic somewhere with a series of exceptionally well argued, barely read books on Gramscian hegemony. 

16 minutes ago, Gabi_says said:

Can we start freaking out now? No? Too soon?

image.thumb.png.5e596d00315b54b917adc1b0a7cca180.png

Neumunster Abbey is the most Kraftwerk sounding venue I could possibly imagine. 

Edited by Winslow Leach

1 hour ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

If it was going to happen it would've been years ago, the new album was a laughing stock. He's on his arse a bit at the moment. Also "credibility" is meaningless bullshit, credible to whom? Just because he's a straight white man making serious faces gives him an edge over Gaga, Taylor Swift and Rihanna? The only credit I accept is whether or not you make bops, and JT is not in the bop trade right now.

The same can be said of gagas' previous 2 albums in terms of reception. I have not listened to Timberlakes latest offering tbh, but sounds like he's tried something different. By credible I meant pop stars that are taken more seriously, for whatever reason...against your xfactor types for example that would attract derision if booked as headliners. Maybe credible is the wrong word, but not sure how to term it. It was not detracting from the artists you mention, though I would say bar possibly Rihanna they have all been in similar decline. I acknowledge gagas star is on the rise again due to this film.

13 minutes ago, Winslow Leach said:

I feel like the Cocker equivalent is a poorly paid Marxist academic somewhere with a series of exceptionally well argued, barely read books on Gramscian hegemony. 

Neumunster Abbey is the most Kraftwerk sounding venue I could possibly imagine. 

I think I actually know that person...

11 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

How big they were when they played in 2013 doesn't really matter, though, I'm talking about their current size. If they'd maintained that status as one of the biggest bands on the planet like Coldplay and Muse did (and Arctic Monkeys in the UK) then I'd be talking differently, but I don't reckon they have. Could they sell out multiple date stadium tours right now like Coldplay and Muse were able to do on the back of every album (like I said, though, I think Muse are maybe past that point now).

I didn't rule any of those bands out of headlining future events, I just get the impression from all the previous Glasto lineups that I'm aware of that they wouldn't be looking to bring any of them back unless there weren't any other real options.

There aren’t really enough stadium bands interested in doing Glasto at any opportunity to limit their regulars to massive stadium headliners. Those three can/could fill stadia despite changing popularity trends because they’re established acts who have crossed generations over a decade or two; Mumfords have barely been around to even begin to compare them. They’ll surely still be headlining festivals on this album and the next so as far as I see, they could easily join the ranks of no-hassle, retainer headliners.

Besides if selling out most of an extensive arena tour at a months notice is any indication, they could surely fill a couple of footy grounds six months away.

4 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Hitler did paintings

I like paintings

Ergo, OF COURSE I DON'T LIKE HITLER, I'M NOT A MONSTER!

Simple really ?

You say that. If a reincarnated Dolf rocked up with a quality cheeseboard and a selection of artisan crackers, maybe a decent chutney and some grapes, I'd at least hear him out.

9 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

I'm pretty sure I'm dating him..... ?

The scenes when it turns out we're talking about the same person...

Re: Kraftwerk - Other headliners surely? They're in between WH and Other size, IMO, but they would definitely be too big and expensive for WH.

7 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

WH seems the most natural fit for Kraftwerk, but would it be too small for them? They'd pack that place out to ridiculous levels, is the Other  more likely?

Do you think so? I reckon that might be one of those cases where eFests popularity is projected onto the wider Glastonbury population.

Not saying they wouldn't be a draw, but not sure they'd overfill the field