2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

7 hours ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Throws a real spanner in the works if it is Kendrick, but I don't feel it. The tea leaves still say Gaga, the star constellations still say Gaga, the wind still whispers Gaga. If you kneel down on the ground at a point where ley lines converge and press your ear to the soil, you can hear Bad Romance.

Yup. I've been listening to the Star Is Born soundtrack today  - I haven't seen the film yet but my CD comes with the Gaga's autograph - bloody hell - its really good. Choc full of slow build anthems and ballads. Is that really Bradley Cooper on guitar? Outstanding. I saw Gaga in Birmingham  - what a show - what a performer. She would be the PERFECT headliner.

20180201_215533.jpg

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Gucci Piggy said:

As just said, they played BST and Meltdown last year, and sold out BST quicker than pretty much anyone who's headlined it. If they haven't put an album out in over 10 years and are still headlining every festival they play I don't see why that's suddenly going to change now, especially when they're headlining every festival they're currently announced for, and it's the same sized festivals they've been headlining for years. There's no reason whatsoever to think The Cure are randomly going to play the second stage at Glastonbury in 2019, and no evidence that they're in any kind of decline.

I think the surprise/disappointment at them being in the rumour mill/announced as headliners would have been exactly the same if was 7 years ago or so, so I don't think that's because of them being in decline; I think it's just because they aren't massive and aren't hugely relevant. But that doesn't mean they're randomly going to break their form of doing nothing but headline festivals for decades just to play Glastonbury. If Glastonbury wanted them to play the second stage I have no doubt that they'd just say no and do another festival/their own shows. The fact they've already headlined the festival three times makes it even less likely, because it isn't like someone like Metallica who'd potentially take a lower slot just to be able to play the festival. There's nothing in it for them if they headline Other - they get a lower fee than they'd get elsewhere, they miss out on the exposure that headlining Glasto gives you which helps to make up for the lower fee, they're taking a non-headline festival slot when they could be headlining elsewhere, and they're not even getting to play a festival they haven't done before.

I said for ages before this year's info came about that I didn't think Glasto would book them as headliners these days, so I get why people are surprised about it, but it's quite clear that if they are booked it will be to headline the Pyramid.

They're one of those bands where it's headline or nothing. I see them in the same light as I see Depeche Mode and Pearl Jam with regards to Glastonbury. I'm unsure if Glasto would want to give them the top spot (although it sounds like they do want Depeche Mode as headliners), but I know that they're not gonna get any of them in non-headline slots, so it's either Glasto book them to headline and accept that there'll be a slightly muted response, or they miss out on booking them altogether.

You've absolutely nailed this argument, thank you. Doesn't mean you won't have to repeat it in a few pages though...

1 hour ago, Splodge said:

Could The Kinks slot into this equation anywhere? https://inews.co.uk/news/q-awards-the-kinks-reunite-after-22-year-feud/

If they do actually reunite then I think they'll always be in the equation, the amount Michael goes on about them. Might be a bit late for this year, hopefully they're all still knocking about in 2020.

4 hours ago, Fingerbobs said:

I'd have thought the locals would be after him with their pitchforks if ME bestowed the Cure upon them on the Sunday (he's said before they let him know if they think they missed out on a good headliner).

It was pretty obvs from the off that Sheerhan was going to be the Sunday header last year and it would look to be the same for Macca next year except for those Cure rumours. But Bob n the Boys just don't fit that comfortably as a sat Pyramid header so I too wouldn't be surprised to see them on The Other as per the rumoured Metallica slot.

The Cure headlined the Sunday in 1995 when the locals had much more of an input than they do today. Also I really think people put too much emphasis on the idea that certain acts suit certain days - most acts will be booked when they CAN play.

Zero chance of The Cure playing the other stage. I've said it before and I'll say it again, why would The Cure play the other stage when they are headlining 20 other festivals around Europe and would headline any other British festival?

4 hours ago, kalifire said:

Or, The Cure who won’t have played live for the best part of three years (when they took on a handful of arena dates) and haven’t put out an album in over ten. 

I hear what you’re saying, but they’re not The Rolling Stones. There will be a decline, which I think is why their place in the rumour mill surprised a lot of people and will disappoint more, if they’re announced. 

I can't remember who awarded it but The Cure's performance at BST THIS JULY was given festival performance of the year.

8 hours ago, Martin Ashford said:

Yup. I've been listening to the Star Is Born soundtrack today  - I haven't seen the film yet but my CD comes with the Gaga's autograph - bloody hell - its really good. Choc full of slow build anthems and ballads. Is that really Bradley Cooper on guitar? Outstanding. I saw Gaga in Birmingham  - what a show - what a performer. She would be the PERFECT headliner.

Something I actually agree with you on!

Muse tho RW? Where does that leave us??

I think we can rule out Kendrick for the time being. There's nothing to suggest he'll be around last year. That may change in the coming months at this stage it looks grim. I'm thinking/hoping the last headliner is a new comer, so I'm going with 1975 or Gaga.