2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

1 minute ago, RarerThanDandyB said:

Cure are massive. Believe me that they would put on the best show.

Oh I dont disagree. I'd probably try to catch them either stage... I just dont think their relevence has held up as some of the other bands that have headlined off their back catalogue. 

I think from Neils info theyre pretty much nailed on the Pyramid anyways. 

47 minutes ago, MetaKate said:

I know theres some info otherwise.. but I tend to agree. The Cure just doesnt seem like a Pyramid headliner to me... headlining the Other would make more sense in my mind, but apparently if theyre there theyre headlining the Pyramid.

I'd have thought the locals would be after him with their pitchforks if ME bestowed the Cure upon them on the Sunday (he's said before they let him know if they think they missed out on a good headliner).

It was pretty obvs from the off that Sheerhan was going to be the Sunday header last year and it would look to be the same for Macca next year except for those Cure rumours. But Bob n the Boys just don't fit that comfortably as a sat Pyramid header so I too wouldn't be surprised to see them on The Other as per the rumoured Metallica slot.

Edited by Fingerbobs

13 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

It's certainly hard to argue with Blossoms playing the home of Stockport County F.C. being the most important gig of the new post-Brexit Britain.

Well it is where the Oh Jeremy Corbyn chant started so maybe he's on to something here.

There'll be crowd chants of, um oh I give up, everywhere in 2020

Edited by Fingerbobs

Yes, The Cure, who headline every single festival they play the world over and have done for decades. It makes much more sense for them to headline the second stage at a festival they've already headlined three times and which pays less than all other major festivals, than it does for them to headline the main stage.

This place is mental sometimes.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Yes, The Cure, who headline every single festival they play the world over and have done for decades. It makes much more sense for them to headline the second stage at a festival they've already headlined three times and which pays less than all other major festivals, than it does for them to headline the main stage.

This place is mental sometimes.

Or, The Cure who won’t have played live for the best part of three years (when they took on a handful of arena dates) and haven’t put out an album in over ten. 

I hear what you’re saying, but they’re not The Rolling Stones. There will be a decline, which I think is why their place in the rumour mill surprised a lot of people and will disappoint more, if they’re announced. 

19 minutes ago, kalifire said:

Or, The Cure who won’t have played live for the best part of three years (when they took on a handful of arena dates) and haven’t put out an album in over ten. 

I hear what you’re saying, but they’re not The Rolling Stones. There will be a decline, which I think is why their place in the rumour mill surprised a lot of people and will disappoint more, if they’re announced. 

They sold out Hyde Park in July and did Meltdown.

Add to that, they don’t traditionally have a great relationship with the festival, why would they choose to headline the second stage for a shorter set than they’re used to when they headline the main stage at festivals around the world for as long as they like pretty much?

This is the band that haven’t played in Scotland for decades but they had a gig they didn’t enjoy there in the 80s.

Edited by thesecretingredientiscrime

24 minutes ago, kalifire said:

As just said, they played BST and Meltdown last year, and sold out BST quicker than pretty much anyone who's headlined it. If they haven't put an album out in over 10 years and are still headlining every festival they play I don't see why that's suddenly going to change now, especially when they're headlining every festival they're currently announced for, and it's the same sized festivals they've been headlining for years. There's no reason whatsoever to think The Cure are randomly going to play the second stage at Glastonbury in 2019, and no evidence that they're in any kind of decline.

I think the surprise/disappointment at them being in the rumour mill/announced as headliners would have been exactly the same if was 7 years ago or so, so I don't think that's because of them being in decline; I think it's just because they aren't massive and aren't hugely relevant. But that doesn't mean they're randomly going to break their form of doing nothing but headline festivals for decades just to play Glastonbury. If Glastonbury wanted them to play the second stage I have no doubt that they'd just say no and do another festival/their own shows. The fact they've already headlined the festival three times makes it even less likely, because it isn't like someone like Metallica who'd potentially take a lower slot just to be able to play the festival. There's nothing in it for them if they headline Other - they get a lower fee than they'd get elsewhere, they miss out on the exposure that headlining Glasto gives you which helps to make up for the lower fee, they're taking a non-headline festival slot when they could be headlining elsewhere, and they're not even getting to play a festival they haven't done before.

I said for ages before this year's info came about that I didn't think Glasto would book them as headliners these days, so I get why people are surprised about it, but it's quite clear that if they are booked it will be to headline the Pyramid.

They're one of those bands where it's headline or nothing. I see them in the same light as I see Depeche Mode and Pearl Jam with regards to Glastonbury. I'm unsure if Glasto would want to give them the top spot (although it sounds like they do want Depeche Mode as headliners), but I know that they're not gonna get any of them in non-headline slots, so it's either Glasto book them to headline and accept that there'll be a slightly muted response, or they miss out on booking them altogether.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, kalifire said:

Not everyone wants the Rolling Stones, for me the Cure would be a fantastic headliner and a return to a less mainstream but still popular headliner meme.

Each to their own though.