2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

2 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Imagine the fury from old Martin if someone had said the same about his beloved Taylor... 

Twitter is telling me that Taylor Swift has done a stadium tour and could be playing Glastonbury. I can't stand the depressive bint. Very depressing. (Contrary to the fact bint shouldn't be used and is a slightly sexist word out of our vocabulary.)

• Upvote 1

I don’t think Pearl Jam will play Malahide castle next year and can’t see them being in Europe based on normal tourning patterns and the fact they covered Europe this year.

Really really hope I’m wrong though, it would be a dream come true for me if they played Glastonbury to add to the 17 times I’ve already seen them.

13 minutes ago, RarerThanDandyB said:

Twitter is telling me that Taylor Swift has done a stadium tour and could be playing Glastonbury. I can't stand the depressive bint. Very depressing. (Contrary to the fact bint shouldn't be used and is a slightly sexist word out of our vocabulary.)

giphy.webp

To come back to the Kendrick Lamar rumour, based on a guy (often posting reliable hints) posting 'damn' on the Festileaks Rock Werchter forum, suggesting he might do RW...

Someone suggested it may also refer to Christine & The Queens, their latest album being called 'Damn, dis-moi'. Getting lots of airtime on national radio (linked to RW). Could be up for a good sub spot.

16 minutes ago, StupidDream said:

To come back to the Kendrick Lamar rumour, based on a guy (often posting reliable hints) posting 'damn' on the Festileaks Rock Werchter forum, suggesting he might do RW...

Someone suggested it may also refer to Christine & The Queens, their latest album being called 'Damn, dis-moi'. Getting lots of airtime on national radio (linked to RW). Could be up for a good sub spot.

I think you might be on to something. Kendrick has definitely put Damn to bed now, after his Instagram posts. I think if he were to do it, he would have to be bringing out new material in the next 6 months or so and if this was the case, why use 'damn' as a teaser. He is pretty prolific, but I think this tour has been more lenghty than previous albums so it may take him longer to reel out another album. 

Having said that, if we want the most "efest" piece of evidence ever, he has got a new haircut so a new era could be incoming...

8 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

That's not what their album's called.

Oh, yeah, my bad ? It's just a single, the album is actually called Chris. 

4 minutes ago, Bovla said:

I think you might be on to something. Kendrick has definitely put Damn to bed now, after his Instagram posts. I think if he were to do it, he would have to be bringing out new material in the next 6 months or so and if this was the case, why use 'damn' as a teaser. He is pretty prolific, but I think this tour has been more lenghty than previous albums so it may take him longer to reel out another album. 

Having said that, if we want the most "efest" piece of evidence ever, he has got a new haircut so a new era could be incoming...

Would also be his third appearance in Belgium in a short time, same tour. So to do yet another big gig (maybe even his biggest) wouldn't make a lot of sense, especially if you want to shift (day) tickets as a festival. 

12 minutes ago, Bovla said:

Huh? This isn't some official body; it's a guy on a festival forum who hears what acts are playing and then drops a hint in the form of a title/lyric from that artist. One, I highly doubt he has any info on new Kendrick Lamar releases, and two, no one's going to understand the hint if it isn't a reference to a previous Kendrick release.

1 hour ago, CJTM said:

Are Pearl Jam completely out of the question?

Given their legacy status if they were to ever headline it wouldn't have to be off the back of a particular new release, and are strongly rumoured to have a Malahide Castle show in Dublin TBA next summer.

Granted you wouldn't place them in the 'relevant' category nowadays, but I would have a guess the average-G goer couldn't name many more than the 2/3 hit wonders that are rumoured for Saturday night (I know they can still both shift a big number of tix)

Have they been approached in the past to anyones knowledge? even considered? @eFestivals - what's the craic with Eddie Vedder lads

CrrrrrrOAK!

It seems momentum is building Amongst the Waves for a Friday night Pearl Jam headline slot.

Let's assess some facts and rumours:

Pearl Jam have been very publicly philanthropic over their career, but none more so than this year with their "Home Shows" in which they raised way in excess of $10m to eradicate homelessness in Seattle / wider America - very much in keeping with the Glastonbury Ethos.

They've been playing a much wider array of European festivals in recent years.

An article arose this week stating PJ are a "dead cert" to play Malahide Castle in Dublin next June (they did not play ireland in this years euro tour)

Michael/ Emily Eavis were apparently at one of the London O2 shows this June/July.

They have been playing and collaborating on stage with multiple other commercially accessible artists in recent years - Jack White, Johnny Marr, fuckin Beyonce... 

Recently have been playing  more accessible set lists for the casual festival goer / fan - see covers of Imagine, Comfortably Numb, All Along the Watchtower RITF, Baba etc etc etc.

New album due 2019 - first single released early this year was Anti- Trump protest song "Can't Deny Me" 

a BIMM article on M Eavis reads - "Answering a student’s question about the safe and peaceful nature of Glastonbury and whether or not it had anything to do with charity, Michael Eavis – whose favourite acts include John Martin, Coldplay, Radiohead, Pearl Jam, Johnny Cash and Willie Nelson"

I know which outsider this old Toad may take a punt on ?

Crrrroak ?

• Upvote 3

Just now, Gucci Piggy said:

Huh? This isn't some official body; it's a guy on a festival forum who hears what acts are playing and then drops a hint in the form of a title/lyric from that artist. One, I highly doubt he has any info on new Kendrick Lamar releases, and two, no one's going to understand the hint if it isn't a reference to a previous Kendrick release.

Yeah this is true, I just wouldn't expect it to be a specific hint to that album/tour when it is pretty evident that Damn. has had it's day. 

My main motivation for doubting is because Kendrick - Cure - Macca just seems too good to be true so I'm trying to convince myself it's not happening 

3 minutes ago, Bovla said:

Yeah this is true, I just wouldn't expect it to be a specific hint to that album/tour when it is pretty evident that Damn. has had it's day. 

My main motivation for doubting is because Kendrick - Cure - Macca just seems too good to be true so I'm trying to convince myself it's not happening 

The hint just needed to be something that would make people think of Kendrick without saying his name, the recency of the album/song is irrelevant. Wasn't the Pink hint from an old song anyway?

1 minute ago, dentalplan said:

Chances are there'll be a new Kendrick album next year, and if he's over in Europe in summer then I would expect it out before then.

Why do you say that? Would be a pretty fast turn around considering he has toured Damn. extensively

1 minute ago, Bovla said:

His hint for P!nk was "Na na na na na na na", which is a song from 10 years ago. The guy may not even be a Kendrick fan, DAMN. may be the only Kendrick album he's heard of.

When Neil found out Dizzee Rascal was headlining WH last year he simply posted in the WH thread saying "Bonkers", as it's a clue that most people will understand.

I get people not expecting it to be Kendrick because he seems to have wrapped up touring for DAMN. Hoping it's the case that either he has a new album lined up before then or he's gonna do a couple of one off shows next Summer.

Anyway, Rock Werchter's tickets go on sale at the end of this month and they usually try to have their headliners announced in advance of that, and this guy seems to post his hints not long before the act is announced, so hopefully we won't have long to wait to find out if it's him.

10 minutes ago, The Toad. said:

CrrrrrrOAK!

They have been playing and collaborating on stage with multiple other commercially accessible artists in recent years - Jack White, Johnny Marr, fuckin Beyonce... 

and who can forget this life changing moment 

1 minute ago, Gucci Piggy said:

His hint for P!nk was "Na na na na na na na", which is a song from 10 years ago. The guy may not even be a Kendrick fan, DAMN. may be the only Kendrick album he's heard of.

When Neil found out Dizzee Rascal was headlining WH last year he simply posted in the WH thread saying "Bonkers", as it's a clue that most people will understand.

I get people not expecting it to be Kendrick because he seems to have wrapped up touring for DAMN. Hoping it's the case that either he has a new album lined up before then or he's gonna do a couple of one off shows next Summer.

Anyway, Rock Werchter's tickets go on sale at the end of this month and they usually try to have their headliners announced in advance of that, and this guy seems to post his hints not long before the act is announced, so hopefully we won't have long to wait to find out if it's him.

This is all very true, I'd like to retract my statement regarding the quality of 'damn' as a clue.

The announcements are usually a Friday yes? Will be waiting with bated breath ?