2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

9 minutes ago, Quark said:

Actually the closest he's come to a reasonable set of assumptions over the last 6 months or so.  At least this one doesn't read like the names were picked out of a tombola.

Yeah maybe a reasonable set of assumptions but still hope it's wrong . Then again what does it matter just spend 3 nights away from pyramid 

11 minutes ago, Quark said:

Actually the closest he's come to a reasonable set of assumptions over the last 6 months or so.  At least this one doesn't read like the names were picked out of a tombola.

I wouldnt be totally shocked if he was right. Usually his guesses seem willfully wrong. 

All 3 are alive and haven't been ruled out at least. 

39 minutes ago, Quark said:

You'll be laughing from the other side of your face when the poster drops featuring the Prime Minister, University Challenge and Top Gear Live.

8 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

It was a weird booking. I know lots of people say that they were the real headliner of Other that night, the slltst only swapped because the xx needed the dark, but that seemed like bollocks at the time. I wasn't at the festival, but watching on the telly it felt like headliners were definitely the last band that played.

I just assumed that GFL preferred The XX closing, as they're a bit more electronic/dancey, which seems to be the preference to close that stage.

Going back to 2010, QOTSA and Jake Bugg are the only ones that I'd say are in the same vain as Smashing Pumpkins (ie, guitars, drums, not a bleepy-bloopy sound in sight). The XX, Flaming Lips, Primal Scream and Alt-J kind of straddle the gap of rock vs. electronic, and then you have most Other headliners since then that are far from "meat and veg rock" like Orbital, Chems (x2), New Order, LCD, Skrillex, BBK, New Order, Major Lazer, Massive Attack, Disclosure, Portishead, Rudimental, Deadmau5...

it's for that reason I don't see the likes of Liam Gallagher closing it in 2019 (as mentioned in the Other headliners thread).

25 minutes ago, fatyeti24 said:

You'll be laughing from the other side of your face when the poster drops featuring the Prime Minister, University Challenge and Top Gear Live. 

So basically Werchter have moved their festival forward a week to book these. I think they're booked their for Sunday this year and from past history of play 6 times and 3 in 12 years they sell the tickets, this would be 4 in 19 years. Monkeys played this year, Macca only played in 16 and as said it didn't sell out...it was Thursday but he's huge enough to sell it...I've known others that have. I also personally didn't see it being the most solid year, their dip maybe if you like. Kendrick, it would be two summers after release of Damn and I don't think either Werchter or Glasto will go for that...Glasto would certainly want it when it's new and fresh and he did Puckelpop this year on a 2nd year. Also Stormzy isn't going to headline after never playing Werchter anyway. 

I think Florence would get booked again for both already but I'm unsure a fest would move for her....she does sell well though.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Are Pearl Jam completely out of the question?

Given their legacy status if they were to ever headline it wouldn't have to be off the back of a particular new release, and are strongly rumoured to have a Malahide Castle show in Dublin TBA next summer.

Granted you wouldn't place them in the 'relevant' category nowadays, but I would have a guess the average-G goer couldn't name many more than the 2/3 hit wonders that are rumoured for Saturday night (I know they can still both shift a big number of tix)

Have they been approached in the past to anyones knowledge? even considered? @eFestivals - what's the craic with Eddie Vedder lads

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, CJTM said:

<snip>

Have they been approached in the past to anyones knowledge? even considered? @eFestivals - what's the craic with Eddie Vedder lads

Pretty sure they've been approached before, but PJ were swerving festivals for years after Roskilde.

Can't really see them playing next year if Glasto has the Cure, tho that's merely my guess.

3 minutes ago, CJTM said:

Given their legacy status if they were to ever headline it wouldn't have to be off the back of a particular new release, and are strongly rumoured to have a Malahide Castle show in Dublin TBA next summer.

Granted you wouldn't place them in the 'relevant' category nowadays, but I would have a guess the average-G goer couldn't name many more than the 2/3 hit wonders that are rumoured for Saturday night (I know they can still both shift a big number of tix)

Pretty sure Eddie Vedder was charging upwards of £80 just for his solo shows, imagine the fee would be nowhere near enough for them on that basis.

13 minutes ago, CJTM said:

Colleague of mine who is a massive fan and travels the world to see them has just come into my office saying they are playing Malahide Castle in June and there are rumours on the PJ forums of them doing Glastonbury.

9 minutes ago, kingbadger said:

Pretty sure Eddie Vedder was charging upwards of £80 just for his solo shows, imagine the fee would be nowhere near enough for them on that basis.

Your Glastonbury Saturday night headliners are (most of) Pearl Jam! (& Adam Lambert)