2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

2 minutes ago, Username taken said:

I think everyone is agreed that The Cure are likely.  Haven't read through the entire thread, but has anyone suggested Eminem?  Huge name with a reasonable amount of crossover appeal, and a new album that he will surely be touring next year?

Yes, I think the general consensus is that he must cost too much for them to afford, otherwise he would have already done it! 

3 minutes ago, Username taken said:

I think everyone is agreed that The Cure are likely.  Haven't read through the entire thread, but has anyone suggested Eminem?  Huge name with a reasonable amount of crossover appeal, and a new album that he will surely be touring next year?

Yeah he has been discussed, he would need to lower his price. 

55 minutes ago, RyanS said:

To be fair, the new album was #1 and is one of the biggest sellers in the UK this year.   It's a good little pop record and probably the best thing she's done in a while.

Very few other 'legends' were still putting out Number 1 albums of new material at the time of their booking.   She's a huge booking to have in that spot.

This.  The new stuff went down really well when we saw hr at the O2 a few weeks back, and sounded damn good to boot.  Yeah there's a couple of duffers in there (Shelby '68 and Radio On are dull as hell) but the rest sounded cracking.

50 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Though no-one will be there to hear her new material

That is true, but I think she's savvy enough to know that.  The biggest singalong of the O2 gig was Especially For You (and yes I damn well sang along!) and she was well into it with the crowd.  If she is there I would 100% expect her to swing the balance of her setlist firmly on the side of the classics.  Sure she'd chuck in a couple of the new ones, but I 'd be predicting a hits-heavy set.

As someone who paid to see Eminem live @ Wembley 2014 (worst £100 I've ever spent) you are not missing anything by not having him headline. He is absolutely dreadful live. His heart really isn't in it & he mimes for the majority of it. The only saving grace to that gig was having Dr Dre come out & perform some songs alongside him.
If Eminem were to be on the farm, I personally would stay well away. Now Dre on the other hand... (fully aware that it would never happen, but a girl can dream)

Edited by gherring8

40 minutes ago, RyanS said:

A different beast though.   When Dolly did the legend slot, she hadn't had a top 40 hit for 31 years!   Kylie really isn't trading on former glories to the extent of those usually in that slot.

How many country stars appear in the top 40? Different kettle of fish completely, 47 Grammy nominations, I don't know how many albums and singles charted on american country billboard and still releasing music on her own record label. Hardly trading on former glory. Nothing against Kylie, but remember stock, aitken and waterman period...charted but pretty crap.

42 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

However, the argument is that this isn't a good thing.

I see your point but it'll be fine.  By the time Glastonbury comes around, the promo cycle for the new album will have long-finished.  It'll be all the hits with 2 or 3 new-ish ones thrown in that enough people will be familiar with to prevent them going down like a lead balloon.

21 minutes ago, gherring8 said:

As someone who paid to see Eminem live @ Wembley 2014 (worst £100 I've ever spent) you are not missing anything by not having him headline. He is absolutely dreadful live. His heart really isn't in it & he mimes for the majority of it. The only saving grace to that gig was having Dr Dre come out & perform some songs alongside him.
If Eminem were to be on the farm, I personally would stay well away. Now Dre on the other hand... (fully aware that it would never happen, but a girl can dream)

Agreed.

Saw him at Reading and it was 90% mimed.   The limited parts that were live were perfectly fine so I can only assume that he just can't be bothered.

9 minutes ago, slash's hat said:

Nothing against Kylie, but remember stock, aitken and waterman period...charted but pretty crap.

Maybe so, but there's very little from that period she's still playing on tour.  Locomotion (ok, not great! :D ), Especially For You (what a singalong) and Better The Devil You Know, which still stands up as a banger.

Even if you excluded the SAW period from a 1 hr legend slot, you've still got everything from Confide In Me onwards to choose from!

EDIT: should make clear I'm all for her as a Legend slot.  Not a headliner IMO.

Edited by Quark

40 minutes ago, Doug85 said:

I wasn't suggesting that they would care merely asking if it was a rare thing for those two festivals to share headliners. Exclusivity sometimes comes into it but less so when they are in different countries. GF did make a big deal about having Adele's only festival appearance though but it was Adele to be fair. 

Interesting that it seems to be rare that they share headliners though until 2017 with Radiohead and Foos. With the limited amount of viable headliners supposedly around now we may see this happening more and more?

I hope that headline sharing doesn't precipitate as it would inevitably lead to festivals becoming increasingly similar. That's why festivals should bump up newer acts not only to prevent similarity amongst festivals but to promote musicians so that they can become quality headliners in the future. E.g. The 1975, Stormzy.

48 minutes ago, Quark said:

Yeah, these damn artists tying to continue releasing music instead of just cashing in on what they did 20 years ago. Almost as bad as those artists that keep cynically cashing in by just touring the crap they released 20 years ago instead of getting in the studio and putting some new music out there.

I was trying to disagree with this due to being excited about seeing The Cure. But I concede, point well made. At least there's the possibility that they'll have an album out next year.

4 minutes ago, Quark said:

Maybe so, but there's very little from that period she's still playing on tour.  Locomotion (ok, not great! :D ), Especially For You (what a singalong) and Better The Devil You Know, which still stands up as a banger.

Even if you excluded the SAW period from a 1 hr legend slot, you've still got everything from Confide In Me onwards to choose from!

EDIT: should make clear I'm all for her as a Legend slot.  Not a headliner IMO.

Oh I like cheesy 80's singalongs with the best of them, just need to look in my record collection for proof. My point was more along the lines of just because somerthing charts don't make it great. Jason's usually doing 80s fests in the UK, maybe he'll join her. Confide in me was the first kylie single I bought.

2 minutes ago, Radi0Head said:

I was trying to disagree with this due to being excited about seeing The Cure. But I concede, point well made. At least there's the possibility that they'll have an album out next year.

Don't get me wrong you can be excited about one, both or neither!  Just one of the things on this forum that makes me chuckle, as acts get heat for both releasing and not releasing new material!   :D

1 hour ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Nah cos The Cure are playing European festivals over a large range of dates, including the usual Werchter weekend. If the date change is to be able to book a certain act, it'll be someone who isn't in Europe for long.

have RW said that they've moved weekend specifically because of an act?

Kendrick played R&L in August and hung around for 5 days to play a 50k festival in Ireland the following Friday....

moving your whole festival for someone that regularly comes to Europe, and has played in Europe one day and the US the next in the past, doesn't seem massively likely.

1 hour ago, StupidDream said:

To extend the list:

Both headliners RW and GF:
2017: Radiohead and Foo Fighters

2016: -
2015: "Florence"
2014: Metallica
2013: -
2011: Coldplay
2010: Muse
2009: -
2008: -
2007: AM
2005: -
2004: Muse
2003: REM, Radiohead and Moby
2002: Coldplay
2000: -

So yeah... Two shared headliners would be some kind of a rarity. At least for RW you can be assured: you'll get repeat headliners.

That's not exactly correct. As those festivals are  happening in different countries, some bands have a different status in them. For example Editors co-headlined RW in 2016 (they're huge there) while playing 4th down on the Other stage. KoL headlined Glastonbury in 2008 while playing 4th down in RW and that's only from the top of my head. In addition, Flo didn't headlined RW in 2015, she remained a sub but both festivals did book the Foos originally. 

Edited by e2p2

3 minutes ago, ghostdancer1 said:

have RW said that they've moved weekend specifically because of an act?

No because they didn't announced a date and  change it after a few months like they did in 2015. Their usual date is the first weekend of the summer holiday and now it's one week earlier so it's supposedly harder to shift tickets. 

Kendrick, The Cure, Macca would work well to please regular and average joe

not sure how well Kendrick’s set will go down with the Glasto crowd but it would be good to see.

the 1975 playing a longer set beneath him would work out well I guess. But has that ever happened at Glastonbury?

I know he tends to play short sets but why doesn’t Kendrick go for an 1:45 set time? He has the material for it?

Edited by Matt42

27 minutes ago, e2p2 said:

That's not exactly correct. As those festivals are  happening in different countries, some bands have a different status in them. For example Editors co-headlined RW in 2016 (they're huge there) while playing 4th down on the Other stage. KoL headlined Glastonbury in 2008 while playing 4th down in RW and that's only from the top of my head. In addition, Flo didn't headlined RW in 2015, she remained a sub but both festivals did book the Foos originally. 

Yeah, was thinking about that, but that's why I said 'both headliners', would be lot of work otherwise. :P As we're in the Glastonbury headline thread, I focused on GF headliners and then the RW names that headlined/co-headlined. I am fully aware of the 2015 Florence situation, hence the "Florence", could also have said Foos, still meaning the same. 

Relevant here are the names you'd potentially move weekend for as festival.

2 minutes ago, StupidDream said:

Yeah, was thinking about that, but that's why I said 'both headliners', would be lot of work otherwise. :P As we're in the Glastonbury headline thread, I focused on GF headliners and then the RW names that headlined/co-headlined. I am fully aware of the 2015 Florence situation, hence the "Florence", could also have said Foos, still meaning the same. 

Relevant here are the names you'd potentially move weekend for as festival.

It's not a lot of work, it's fun! ?

And you're right, acts that you move the festival in order to get them are what's relevant. I think it's weird to move the festival for Macca or Kendrick but it's a topic for the RW thread. 

6 minutes ago, morph100 said:

I still think there will be at least one female headliner...

Well yeah because Gaga is headlining, which I conclusively proved yesterday. But in general I think people put far too much stock in Glastonbury having some sort of policy of booking female headliners when there's clearly nothing of the sort. There's been only three this century, out of those we know Florence was a very last-minute bump up, and Beyonce is said to have been a last-minute bump up when Prince didn't come through. Really Adele is the only female headliner they've gone for, and they didn't do it for any notion of gender balance at the top of the bill, they did it because she's massive. They just focus on who is the biggest fish they can catch, often to their detriment.

• Upvote 1

Not sure if it's "often to their detriment" since they sell the thing out within an hour and over a million people tried for tickets this year.

It's to the detriment of fans who want more diversity at the top of the bill, but I'm not sure the Eavii are losing too much sleep over it when demand is going through the roof.